Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times

Advertisements

I live in central TExas and my highest bill for an all electric house for just me and two dogs was from mid June to mid July for $177.43. My house is only about 1,600 square feet. The kwh rate is about $13.9 cents. I keep my thermostat on 80 and rarely turn it down to 78. People in my area had bills ranging from $350 to $800. No thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Are they? (dunno)

Tried to start a conversation about this (electricity prices going down) on the business section, but got no bites.

I have observed that many prices of many things go up and down, but it generally seems like electricity is a one-way ratchet -- goes up and does not come down. But you are seeing different? What are you observing?
I don't mean to cause too much of a stir, Philip. I'm sure some providers are still feeling the crunch. My provider was charging 23 cents per kilowatt hour just two months ago. Earlier in the year, it was 14 cents, so then, it was significantly less. Now, my provider's latest bill has me at 14 cents once again. That was reason enough for me to get giddy. If I hasn't gone down for you, just be patient. With gasoline going down, so, too, will the energy costs.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I don't mean to cause too much of a stir, Philip. I'm sure some providers are still feeling the crunch. My provider was charging 23 cents per kilowatt hour just two months ago. Earlier in the year, it was 14 cents, so then, it was significantly less. Now, my provider's latest bill has me at 14 cents once again. That was reason enough for me to get giddy. If I hasn't gone down for you, just be patient. With gasoline going down, so, too, will the energy costs.
Oh, I was not asking for me. I was wondering about the experiences of real people in the real world as far as up and (more specifically) down price ranges. You did good. I understand yours peaked at about 23 cents kW/H and is currently 14 cents.

I have watched a lot go up, but not so many come down.

I sort of operate on the other side of the business. So this is not an expense thing to me, but is still a money thing -- but more specifically, I am an Electrical Engineer on the power production side of the equation.

So I do design projects for TXU and other big generators, the Corps of Engineers (the various dams), some co-ops, and various Co-Generation (industrial sites that produce their own power and sell surplus power to the grid) . . . and various folks who install and use Renewable Energy projects.

In all that, folks usually try to do look-aheads for cost and return on investment considerations. For folks doing fixed cost studies for Renewables general electric prices going down is not even a good thing. It makes the trade-offs (usually described as "pay back" time) less favorable for the Renewable. These types of look-aheads also factor in to energy conservation efforts.

While this is not really "trade secret" level matters, how the Utilities and Co-ops raise and lower prices seem more "art" than science. Not really clearly predictable or even repeatable.

The Big Power companies have been allowed to raise their prices based on PUC (public utility commission) approval because of Natural Gas prices spiking a couple of years ago. Gas went back down, but the rates stayed up, while they shifted more towards coal. Good game if you can get away with it.

Co-ops generally tend to do their numbers based on actual expenses, but depending on how they buy or generate their power, it all varies, as well.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You did good. I understand yours peaked at about 23 cents kW/H and is currently 14 cents.

Thank goodness it didn't go any higher and that's all it did, but it shouldn't have in the first place.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
My wife just tells me "You don't want to know."

Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
i'm not sure about the kw rates here in SA, but we have no choice as far as electric. I know they were raising rates this fall. the fuel surcharge is what is killing me. 150-200 dollars a month in the summertime just for that. I hope that goes down as fuel costs dropped.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
by the way, my electric bill ranged from 300-450 a month this summer after barely cracking 200 last summer. 2500 sqft 2 story house. probably not the best insulated or best setup of air conditioning. House was built in 1992, and we keep the thermostat at 73-75 year round.

p.s. I'd rather work an extra shift a month a be comfortable in my own house.

p.s.s. has anyone else had their electric company try to take over their thermostat with a new one that they can cycle on and off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas