Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 PM

577 posts, read 512,041 times

Advertisements

No need to get too worried about your overhyped city Dallaz. I'm sure as Fort Worth grows more significant in that region, Dallas will have added more neon to downtown by then, and more fluff to make sure she stays pretty and feels important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,934,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
No need to get too worried about your overhyped city Dallaz. I'm sure as Fort Worth grows more significant in that region, Dallas will have added more neon to downtown by then, and more fluff to make sure she stays pretty and feels important.
First of all what city still uses neon? Overhyped? Hmmm....I wonder what city is winning the poll

Dallas is growing pretty darn well around the urban core. We're trying to look like a city not a suburb. It's impossible not to feel important when you are. Until Fort Worth has a higher workforce population within its downtown, urban core, light rail, etc. then it will never be more significant, even with a higher population.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
First of all what city still uses neon? Overhyped? Hmmm....I wonder what city is winning the poll

Dallas is growing pretty darn well around the urban core. We're trying to look like a city not a suburb. It's impossible not to feel important when you are. Until Fort Worth has a higher workforce population within its downtown, urban core, light rail, etc. then it will never be more significant, even with a higher population.
Oh you don't have to tell me who is winning the poll. I agree Austin is way overdone, and that is mainly due to polls and media promoting it as some kind of utopia. The city is lacking important things such as transportation infrastructure. I will say that when it comes to quality of life, I think Austin is great. Downtown Austin beats all other cities in the state for as a living/working/entertainment destination, and that's not hype, it's just reality. As far as using "neon" that is just an expression, obviously those are out of date now...however you look at it, all those lights and bling are just lipstick on the pig.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
Sorry y'all, that's my mistake about San Antonio. I just checked, and yes, the Dallas metro division (which excludes FW) is much larger than the San Antonio metro area. The only metro area that is larger is Houston (though by quite a bit).

When it comes to Dallas suburbs such as Plano, Irving, Mesquite, Arlington (which I consider a suburb of both D and FW), etc, I have no problem with them being called Dallas since they revolve around Dallas. What I have a problem with is Fort Worth being considered a part of Dallas, since FW is it's own major city.
Yes Houston is quite a bit bigger if you tear apart the Metroplex. There is not a Dallas metro area and a Ft Worth metro area, it is the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metro area and it is the largest in Texas and the South. Let's not try to find some way to divide the metro area, let's try to keep it together and strong and be proud of what it has become and is evolving into.

Of course Ft Worth is it's own major city and has many positives, but why do people keep trying to distance it from Dallas? Why can't Dallas and Fort Worth be two major cities within a single metro area that is large enough to support two major cities that share suburban communities and certain amenities? In 2014, it will be very difficult to find a dividing line between the two. Besides commuting patterns, there are many cultural connections between the two cities as people all over the Metroplex frequent both cities for various reasons, not just to commute to work.

Last edited by R1070; 01-11-2014 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM

6,689 posts, read 9,934,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Oh you don't have to tell me who is winning the poll. I agree Austin is way overdone, and that is mainly due to polls and media promoting it as some kind of utopia. The city is lacking important things such as transportation infrastructure. I will say that when it comes to quality of life, I think Austin is great. Downtown Austin beats all other cities in the state for as a living/working/entertainment destination, and that's not hype, it's just reality. As far as using "neon" that is just an expression, obviously those are out of date now...however you look at it, all those lights and bling are just lipstick on the pig.
You're post is funny.....

What does lights have to do with anything??? Lights on buildings have been done in Dallas since the 1920's. It wasn't something we just came up with in the 1980's.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You're post is funny.....

What does lights have to do with anything??? Lights on buildings have been done in Dallas since the 1920's. It wasn't something we just came up with in the 1980's.
It was meant to be funny. I have enjoyed the Dallas v. Houston fight for years, and as I recall you are a big time booster hyping up Dallas, which is cool that you love you hometown. Then you throw Austin in the mix on a poll and it gives both cities some place new to direct their attention towards. So being from Austin I can tell you that the people here would prefer to get NO more hype or attention. Does it honestly bother people from other cities that the media give Austin all of those hyped up stories, ratings, and poll positions?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:53 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,446,768 times
I don't think Austin is overhyped for a city its size but it would never be able to compete against cities as large as Dallas and Houston .
The Austin freeway system is horrible. It's still made for a town of ᤾300,000 people.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
I voted for Austin.
I definitely think it's overhyped.
If & when i go to Texas, I'm starting off with Dallas, then Austin.
No plans to see Houston, lol
Just because everyone else is flocking to Austin- it's exactly why I wouldn't.
I'd love to live close enough to take it in small doses, though

Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I voted for Austin.
I definitely think it's overhyped.
If & when i go to Texas, I'm starting off with Dallas, then Austin.
No plans to see Houston, lol
Just because everyone else is flocking to Austin- it's exactly why I wouldn't.
I'd love to live close enough to take it in small doses, though
Why is your lack of plans to see Houston funny ? lol

Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Why is your lack of plans to see Houston funny ? lol
Omg, don't take it personally....
nothin' against Houston- I'm sure it's a cool place. I just have no desire to see it

Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas