Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I will vote because I have friends running in local races. Unfortunately - if you look at polling breakdowns, the less educated you are the more likely you were to vote for Bush. Many of the deep red states are the ones with the lowest literacy rates.

For instance there are things I like about McCain although he has looked old and worn out during the last portion of the debates and during the bailout crisis- even the makeup couldn't hide it. I like Obama too - for the most part. Unfortunately if one reads the online comments in many of the Texas papers, 90% of the illiterates back McCain.

By the way I voted for Ron Paul.
Isn't that any oxymoron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:35 PM

38 posts, read 191,065 times
I am voting, but not for either of the major party canidates. My vote is going to Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. Normally my vote would have gone to the Republican side but I just can't vote McCain and seeing how he'll probably win the State anyway it isn't going to matter.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
It's a foregone conclusion that McCain will carry Texas, tradition has it; but this year may be different...
I agree with you on that point. I think people are discounting the frustation many Republicans in Texas are feeling with the current administration. And if ever there was a state where its citizens would write in a Ron Paul or a Bob Barr it is most certainly Texas. Polls show McCain up 12. It is going to be much closer than that. If he loses, it will be a shock at first. As we talk to neighbors and relatives after the election we will soon realize we should have seen this coming all along.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerliryc View Post
I am voting, but not for either of the major party canidates. My vote is going to Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. Normally my vote would have gone to the Republican side but I just can't vote McCain and seeing how he'll probably win the State anyway it isn't going to matter.
I no longer live in TX (I moved from Midland after 30 years there a year ago), and I feel the same frustration. I would love to see the Constitution Party up and running strong.

I have yet to see anything appear on the ballot other than the usual, plus a few Libertarian candidates.

The real problem is that a third-party vote does pull votes from McCain. McCain will most likely carry Texas, but I imagine Obama will get the overall win. I can't imagine how we got so bad off that those two are the only ones who have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. I just see McCain as much the lesser of the two evils. I just want to gag, but I went ahead and registered to vote here anyway.

God help us all. We lose either way.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
If you vote Democrat in a predominantly Republican state (or vice versa), your vote might not count.

If you don't vote because you're in either, your vote DEFINITELY won't count.

And things will never change because you sat down and gave up and didn't even vote.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
The opposite question could be posed in California- whether a conservative voter should bother voting because CA is a blue state. Heck yes! On principal, my friends, every person in America over the age of 18 needs to exercise their right, if only to show our gratitude that we live in a country that allows this freedom. And this goes doubly for women. Don't take all the work those suffragettes did for granted. Get involved in your world. Vote!
As a woman, nothing drives me crazier than women who don't vote! I guess my Grandma (born 1919) instilled that in me.

So yes, I will be voting, even if it is only "symbolic" (as a Texas Democrat), and my kids will go with me as they do every year, because we make it a little lesson in government each time they go with me to vote.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Look at the local elections if you need a reason to vote in Texas. Dallas County voted Democrat last big election.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 PM

170 posts, read 598,614 times
Default Go Vote!

I'm still in Illinois, so I have to cast my McCain vote in a solid blue state. Illinois' electoral votes are going to Obama no matter what I do, but if every forlorn Republican in this state would go have his or her say, at the very least a message would be sent that conservatism does, in fact, still live here.

The same logic holds true for you Texas Democrats. A spike in opposition voting will send a message to the majority party that you exist and that you don't plan to go away. Of course, I AM planning to leave this most corrupt of Democratic strongholds with the intention of adding another conservative vote to the Texas rolls.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:16 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,227 times
Too many died for my freedoms and my right to vote- I always vote!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 PM

898 posts, read 2,563,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerliryc View Post
That's a good choice. I was originally going to vote for Bob Barr, but i may change over to Baldwin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas