Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM

24 posts, read 93,715 times

Advertisements

What kind of weather do y'all get year round? Are there seasons up there? We need seasons and much cooler weather than Ft Wth can provide.
Our vet recommended Canyon. Said he loved it there.
Is there high speed internet there? there are still places in the DFW metro area that don't have it yet!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 PM

958 posts, read 2,125,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemom View Post
What kind of weather do y'all get year round? Are there seasons up there? We need seasons and much cooler weather than Ft Wth can provide.
Our vet recommended Canyon. Said he loved it there.
Is there high speed internet there? there are still places in the DFW metro area that don't have it yet!
Thanks.
If you're looking for seasons you wont be disappointed. My wife and I moved from Grand Prairie in 2000 to a small town south of Canyon and have not regretted it.

The weather is cooler here with nowhere near the humidity as you have in the Metroplex. That's not to say it doesn't get hot here it just doesn't get as hot as the Metroplex. We have never had an ozone action day since I've been here, there is too much wind. And it does get windy, sometimes sustained winds up to 50 MPH.

We don't get as much rain as DFW but we are just as susceptible to severe weather here.

In winter there may or may not be snow, just like DFW however,
Our first winter here we had 18 inches of snow the first week of November and 3 feet by Christmas morning. Nothing that bad since then about 4-5 inches but even then TexDot gets the plows out and sands the overpasses. It's ussually gone withing a few of weeks. But it can get very cold, single digits and lower. We are expecting our first light freeze sometime this week.

And high speed internet wont be a problem.

Canyon is about 15 south of Amarillo on Hwy 27 and Hwy 87, home to West Texas A&M University, Palo Duro Canyon and the Cake Company.
I have no affiliation with them, they just have great cookies.

Good luck

Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 PM

530 posts, read 2,027,791 times
I think people sound pretty retarded when they say "I want to move some place that has 4 seasons." Really? Last time I checked that was the entire planet, save for the extreme poles.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
I think people sound pretty retarded when they say "I want to move some place that has 4 seasons." Really? Last time I checked that was the entire planet, save for the extreme poles.
Really? Check again.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Well, since I did not say anything about 4 seasons, I guess I don't sound retarded. LOL

However, I think it's sad that so many people don't know anything about basic climatology and geography! :-(

There is a substantial part of this planet that does in fact NOT GET 4 SEASONS!
There are areas that only get 2! wet (monsoon) and dry.
Then there are areas that only get 1! They call those deserts.
There are a myriad of island nations both in the Atlantic and the Pacific that get only 1 season- sun, but not scorching, with rain almost daily for a brief period.
I teach, so I could get into nitty gritty details but I won't bore you with all that.
Do some research and you may be surprised at how diverse the seasons really are on this Earth!
There is a climate for everyones taste.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks TurkeyTrot for the review! It does sound nice.
We are going to drive up there next week I am pretty sure, and check it out.
We like the Fort Worth area a lot but need to not be hot for 9 months a year.
Our girls can't take that anymore. (they don't sweat)

And I am going right now to look up the Cake Company. LOL

Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,781,606 times
Quote:
Well, since I did not say anything about 4 seasons, I guess I don't sound retarded. LOL

However, I think it's sad that so many people don't know anything about basic climatology and geography! :-(

There is a substantial part of this planet that does in fact NOT GET 4 SEASONS!
There are areas that only get 2! wet (monsoon) and dry.
Then there are areas that only get 1! They call those deserts.
There are a myriad of island nations both in the Atlantic and the Pacific that get only 1 season- sun, but not scorching, with rain almost daily for a brief period.
I teach, so I could get into nitty gritty details but I won't bore you with all that.
Do some research and you may be surprised at how diverse the seasons really are on this Earth!
There is a climate for everyones taste.
Very much agree. The ignorance is widespread, too. Most people aren't even curious enough to check it out for themselves, when there is ample information available in libraries and all over the internet for the asking.

Rep points for you!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks TurkeyTrot for the review! It does sound nice.
We are going to drive up there next week I am pretty sure, and check it out.
We like the Fort Worth area a lot but need to not be hot for 9 months a year.
Our girls can't take that anymore. (they don't sweat)

And I am going right now to look up the Cake Company. LOL
Only too glad to help. I understand your desire to get away from the heat of north Texas. If your daughters are into sports, girls basketball is HUGE up here.
Enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas