Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite pie flavor?
Apple 11 13.10%
Cherry 7 8.33%
Blackberry 3 3.57%
Pecan 30 35.71%
Blueberry 3 3.57%
Peach 7 8.33%
Pumpkin 6 7.14%
Other 17 20.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM

189 posts, read 914,791 times

Advertisements

My favorites are:

Chocolate Pecan
Lemon Chess
Coconut Cream
Cherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 01:24 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,557 times
I voted other. My favorite is green grape pie. It's one my Grandma used to make whenever she could find wild, green mustang grapes growing.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I've got still another one. Coconut cream pie. Anyone else?
Another good one....!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I've got still another one. Coconut cream pie. Anyone else?
My mother made GREAT coconut AND banana cream pies. However, I haven't had one of them in about 30 years, so I'll go with the Southern favorite...warm pecan pie with whip cream on top...yum, yum! A little too Hee Haw-ish?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
My mother made GREAT coconut AND banana cream pies. However, I haven't had one of them in about 30 years, so I'll go with the Southern favorite...warm pecan pie with whip cream on top...yum, yum! A little too Hee Haw-ish?
Not Hee-Hawish at all, my friend. There's no rule that says you can't have coconut and banana together. In fact, it's a great combo!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
I 'm very greedy and I love every pie.

Apple pie is very good but I would like to try all pie!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I 'm very greedy and I love every pie.

Apple pie is very good but I would like to try all pie!
Hiya MiniMouse! I intended to greet you earlier on your original thread, but apparently it didn't go thru! So forgive me, please!

I was just wondering, speaking of pies, do any of y'all remember something called "August Pies"? They are native to Texas and were, basically, a "turnover" which did not contain the "chunks" of the fruit itself. That is, they were full of "pie filling" not actual pieces of apple, peach, cherry, etc.

I always liked them best because of that reason, I guess.

Lord a' mercy...I am a paradox I can't even figure out my ownself, sometime. *sighs* I bleed Confederate Gray with Lone Stars. I get all misty-eyed when Dixie or Texas, Our Texas, is played.

BUT...I don't care much for super sweet tea, or pecan pie (too rich!) or "divinity" candy at Christmastime. Is, perhaps, there something my dear momma and daddy never told me...?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hiya MiniMouse! I intended to greet you earlier on your original thread, but apparently it didn't go thru! So forgive me, please!

I was just wondering, speaking of pies, do any of y'all remember something called "August Pies"? They are native to Texas and were, basically, a "turnover" which did not contain the "chunks" of the fruit itself. That is, they were full of "pie filling" not actual pieces of apple, peach, cherry, etc.

I always liked them best because of that reason, I guess.

Lord a' mercy...I am a paradox I can't even figure out my ownself, sometime. *sighs* I bleed Confederate Gray with Lone Stars. I get all misty-eyed when Dixie or Texas, Our Texas, is played.

BUT...I don't care much for super sweet tea, or pecan pie (too rich!) or "divinity" candy at Christmastime. Is, perhaps, there something my dear momma and daddy never told me...?
LOL!! I hate divinity, too...I get stabs of pain behind each ear if I bite into a piece...and it hurts my teeth, too. I guess it's because it is nothing else other than pure sugar and corn syrup (uggghh). The fat and pecans in pecan pie help to cut the cloying sweetness! Not all pecan pies are good--just my mom's, LOL!

I've never heard of "August" pies. That's a new one to me.

I bet you don't like pralines, either...?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! I hate divinity, too...I get stabs of pain behind each ear if I bite into a piece...and it hurts my teeth, too. I guess it's because it is nothing else other than pure sugar and corn syrup (uggghh). The fat and pecans in pecan pie help to cut the cloying sweetness! Not all pecan pies are good--just my mom's, LOL!

I've never heard of "August" pies. That's a new one to me.

I bet you don't like pralines, either...?
Yeah, you are right. I don't much care for pralines. AND, to be honest? I always preferred the icecream from the Dairy Queen over homemade!

My gawd, Cathy...what are you doing to me with this line of questioning?? NEXT thang ya know you will have me saying cornbread has sugar in it and that Sherman was really a nice feller and that chili has beans in it!

Seriously though, I hasten to qualify that while I don't much care for sweet-tea or pecan pie...dammed if I will sit silently if any yankees start to get uppity about 'em, by gawd and cotton and catfish! Bet yer the same way!

August Pies? Check out this site, hon. Your earlier question about them got me to doing a bit of research too. That is, I just always assumed they were widespread all over Texas. I didn't realize they were pretty much local to the Wichita Falls area. Here is the link:

augustpiesflash

Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeah, you are right. I don't much care for pralines. AND, to be honest? I always preferred the icecream from the Dairy Queen over homemade!

My gawd, Cathy...what are you doing to me with this line of questioning?? NEXT thang ya know you will have me saying cornbread has sugar in it and that Sherman was really a nice feller and that chili has beans in it!

Seriously though, I hasten to qualify that while I don't much care for sweet-tea or pecan pie...dammed if I will sit silently if any yankees start to get uppity about 'em, by gawd and cotton and catfish! Bet yer the same way!

August Pies? Check out this site, hon. Your earlier question about them got me to doing a bit of research too. That is, I just always assumed they were widespread all over Texas. I didn't realize they were pretty much local to the Wichita Falls area. Here is the link:

augustpiesflash
*Passes out, choking*

DQ doesn't have ice cream, my dear southern-loving Texan friend. That, like McDonald's and every other fast food joint, is a mixture of chemical glop, and probably doesn't even contain any real dairy products at all.

Real homemade ice cream......the best has a hefty dose of real whipping cream, or at least half and half, milk, eggs, sugar and real vanilla (or whatever flavor you're making). I would kill for some of my momma's homemade ice cream right now. She doesn't cook hers, and we've never dropped dead from contaminated eggs, LOL!!

Interesting about August Pies--so they are a brand of fried pie! They look just like all of the other crescent-shaped pies that we had in our neck of the woods. They were just a different brand!!

LOL on the sweet tea, et al.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas