Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 AM

420 posts, read 1,236,664 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been hearing so many good things about Texas, but I am in a dilemia. I currently live in Wisconsin and my husband has a great job, but I am not really feeling the city life. Our city crime is horrible, (Milwaukee) I really want to raise my children with more of those values that I see more in the south than in the north. I was wondering for someone that wants to relocate, Where would you recommend? A safe, family orientated, good schools, good job outlook, and friendly people, and lots for families to do. The main reason for our move is we are both ordained ministers, and feel like we really are putting our light under a bushel in Wisconsin. I feel the Lord wants me to move somewhere south, I just want to make the right decision. I like Texas because I here you guys love to barbecue, the weather, economics, and I just can't handle the cold and snow in Wisconsin anymore. I look forward to all your feedback. Thank you in advance!!! I am also looking for a diverse community, I want my community to look just like heaven will look like. I also think it will be great for our kids. I just want to be around people that love the Lord, and will help us win this world to Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 01:09 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
I would recommend somewhere other than Texas. It's ridiculously hot, the most soulless state in the Union, and just fairly miserable.

However, if you insist, you are probably looking for more small-town Texas. South Texas, I'll leave that to others. North Texas, probably a Waxahachie-like area.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
Anywhere in Texas but South Texas. (unless you are hispanic and Catholic and speak Spanish)
Remember, Texas is a BIG state with very varied topography/landscape, culture, weather. it all depends on what you want.
I would browse thru that big ole free TravelTex guide (it's a wonderful guide to Texas' different regions, and towns.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
My mind was hearing east Texas while I was reading that. Get a map and find Mt Pleasant, about half way between Dallas and Texarkana. Draw a line straight down to Lufkin, about a hundred miles northeast of Houston. Choose any town 50 to 100 miles either side. Good country living, honest people, barbeque and ol time religion. Or choose any city/town along any interstate hiway.

But before you do anything, go to the Texas Travel Home website. Over on the right side is a link to order the Texas Travel Guide... it's FREE FREE FREE. Order tonite and it'll be there in a few weeks. Did I mention... it's FREE. Do it now. Good luck and welcome to Texas.

What kind of work does you husband do?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I would recommend somewhere other than Texas. It's ridiculously hot, the most soulless state in the Union, and just fairly miserable.

However, if you insist, you are probably looking for more small-town Texas. South Texas, I'll leave that to others. North Texas, probably a Waxahachie-like area.

Why hasn't anyone suggested the obvious,as in......

Don't let the door hit you in your brains on the way out.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Why hasn't anyone suggested the obvious,as in......

Don't let the door hit you in your brains on the way out.

So I'm stupid because I don't like the state were I had the unfortunate luck to be born? Nice call. Glad you like it, but it's a miserable place for me.

If I could, I would pack up right now. However, the only redeeming quality I've found in Texas is cheap real estate, and until the market picks back up, selling my house would not net enough to both put a down payment on a new house and keep a good chunk in the bank to live off of.

So you're stuck with me for at least a couple years.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:49 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Honest answer....you can move anywhere in Texas and have success. It all depends on what you are willing to put into it. If you are willing to work hard, get along with other folks, and keep a positive attitude, you will get along just fine and find the success you are looking for. If you are looking for an easy life, I suggest you look elsewhere. I will remind you that easy does not equal happy, nor does hard always mean unhappy.

In short, find a spot that is geographically comfortable for you and you'll get out what you put into it.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
So I'm stupid because I don't like the state were I had the unfortunate luck to be born? Nice call. Glad you like it, but it's a miserable place for me.

Then anyplace will be miserable for you.It's the attitude,not the place.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
Sheesh. pulling out the race card again. Some of yall are just unreal.

I simply stated that South Texas might not be a comfortable place for them to choose UNLESS they are hispanic, Catholic, or speak Spanish. Because it's the dadgum truth. Is there anything wrong with that? That does NOT imply that I am racist against hispanics. My gawd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
U racist?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Then anyplace will be miserable for you.It's the attitude,not the place.

No, it's the place. Hot, soulless, artificial, did I mention hot?

You like it. Fantastic. Don't be so narrow-minded as to assume that because you like it, it works for everyone. That's a sure sign of stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas