Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
that still doesnt explain why you label me as "bigoted". and if you have read all of my posts in any of these threads, i have always said that it is MY experience i am sharing. i dont think that i have the power to make everyone think that the picture i paint is the same picture everyone will see. so, once again, i dont see anything wrong with sharing my experiences, just because they were negative. this is a forum, an exchange of ideas, viewpoints, experiences.

Then as you can agree, I can disagree with your perspective, won't you agree? I will comment more later when I have more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,391 times
Thanks to all who answered. Belles: My husband and I are Hispanic. He was born and raised in NC and I was born and raised in California. So I guess it will not be much of a culture shock for us. I was really more interested in getting information about the area. Mostly, if there are any areas to avoid with regards to housing.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,425 times
My message has arrived to you late but I Hope this posting helps anyone looking for info. about Weslaco in the future!!! Well, Weslaco is not the best place in the world to live in. But it is a nice, calm place to do so! I have lived here all my life (24yrs) and would not move to another city in the Rio Grande Valley. McAllen is the largest city near by (25min). There you find the best restaurants and more things to keep you bussy. I don't like too much traffic so living in Weslaco keeps me happy. I get to really relax when I'm here! We do have restaruants like Buffalo' Wild Wings, Wing Stop, 3 Whataburgers, 2-Pizza Huts and our own Jose's Cafecito, Milano's Italian Restaurant. Here you'll find a med-sized movie Theathre, Wal-Mart, 2HEB's, WalGreens....altough it's not the funnest city we're not all that bad! As for Knapp Hospital, it does need improvement but Weslaco is growing and maybe they'll expand and implement new organizational plans. In Weslaco, you find nice people where in the contrary, McAllen and cities West of McAllen (Mission, Roma, La Joya, Rio Grande) you find what are considered the ''bad'' people. Most families there are known do to letigimate business. Living costs in Weslaco are a lot less than McAllen. Oh and did I mention Weslaco school district...considered one of TOP ranks in the valley!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,425 times
Rule # 1 : AS IN ANY OTHER CITY OR PLACE. TO AVOID PROBLEMS/CONFRONTATIONS WITH ANYBODY STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

In Weslaco...really there are not many gangs or violence. If anything the younger (junior high) kids going throught that stage. Eventually, they grow out of it!

Here it is more about sports and supporting your community teams!!!

Neighborhoods...well the ones in town used to be the bad ones but they are not really bad. Just that some people think they are bad becasue they are less wealthy compared to the new neighborhoods on the North side of town.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
From the poverty to school districts barely cracking the top 50 percent being considered "great" it is quite an adjustment for most outsiders to move to Weslaco. The Valley is neither Mexican or American. It is its own culture.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM

238 posts, read 766,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_23 View Post
Living costs in Weslaco are a lot less than McAllen. Oh and did I mention Weslaco school district...considered one of TOP ranks in the valley!

Perhaps in the Valley, but certainly not the whole state.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
we are looking at buying in the weslaco area wife was woundering on reptile in southern texas any thing deadly that would be in the town area. we would be living there from dec to may anyone give us some advice

Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
http://www.texaspoison.com/snakes/asp
I answered a similar question in a recent thread--"moving to Edinburg/McAllen" probably on current page. McAllen's right down the road from Weslaco, maybe 10-15 miles @ the most. Search threads for RGV--info applicable for all the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas