Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,056,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I wouldn't even say Dorrough is terrible. Don't know about his lyrics but from what I've heard of him, he makes some decent dance music.

And that's one area Dallas definitely has Houston beat, music you can move to. A lot of H-Town artists are so busy making ridin music that they leave out the fun part of hip hop.

And I'm starting to feel like lyricism is very overrated. Especially since 60% of the rap I listen to anyway is only because of the instrumentals.

I can count on both hands the number of artists that actually have good flow.
Houston has club tracks as well:

Candi Redd: Independent B****es
Z-ro: If that's how you feel
Kinfolk Thugs: Dump Truck
Paul Wall: Bizzy Body and Lemon Drop

These are some songs that will play in the clubs; at least in Texas.

I don't care for the dance tracks coming out of Dallas because half of them look stupid/ Have you seen the flex??? worst dance EVER

I'm not even going to get started on Franky......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Well, he beats out the Party Boyz...

"Party Boooooyzzzz...(flex, flex)...we in dat thang!!"
God "hip hop" is dead as dead (at least what's popular on the radio). That song sounds like "inside peanut butta outside jelly" or whatever the hell. Man, if only y'all knew how easily this song would be to make in any music program. Maybe take an hour or to to create. It's kinda disheartening that any no talent fool can get on the radio with a "banga" nowadays. I haven't heard a song that goes anywhere near hard in a while

Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,821,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

I don't care for the dance tracks coming out of Dallas because half of them look stupid/ Have you seen the flex??? worst dance EVER

I didn't say Houston didn't have none. I just said they're not as good as Dallas in that area. Big Tuck, Tum Tum, Damn D, etc. (and yeah I liked Stanky Leg, so what, what u gonna do about it? lol). And neither Houston or Dallas can out shine Atlanta or Memphis when it comes to dance tracks.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,170,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
God "hip hop" is dead as dead (at least what's popular on the radio). That song sounds like "inside peanut butta outside jelly" or whatever the hell. Man, if only y'all knew how easily this song would be to make in any music program. Maybe take an hour or to to create. It's kinda disheartening that any no talent fool can get on the radio with a "banga" nowadays. I haven't heard a song that goes anywhere near hard in a while
Welcome to corporate music man. In the mainstream, art is dead. It's all about money no matter which genre your talking about. And don't listen to the radio. Nothing good can come of it.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,056,970 times
Quote:
I didn't say Houston didn't have none. I just said they're not as good as Dallas in that area. Big Tuck, Tum Tum, Damn D, etc. (and yeah I liked Stanky Leg, so what, what u gonna do about it? lol). And neither Houston or Dallas can out shine Atlanta or Memphis when it comes to dance tracks.
I don't know if this should be a bad or good thing.

The thing is Dallas lacks substance; Houston hip hop scene is more diverse; including substance. Spitting out songs like stanky leg, booty dew, flex, hit dat hoe, and more back to back. That's not a vibrant hip hop scene to me. Ice Cream Paint Job and Dallas girls didn't help out the situation much either.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
I would too, but that's not saying much. Because while Hova is a skilled lyricist, I can't say I'm a fan of his "MUSIC".

Rapping is essentially talking to rhythm, but it alone is not music. So if you have good lyrics but garbage production.....
K-Rino is a good example of great lyrics but mostly garbage production. If he had better production, I think more would listen. His beats grow on you though and he probably picks the simple fruity loop beats because he wants you to focus on the lyrics. I know some people like that.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,821,502 times
Quote:
I don't know if this should be a bad or good thing.

The thing is Dallas lacks substance; Houston hip hop scene is more diverse; including substance. Spitting out songs like stanky leg, booty dew, flex, hit dat hoe, and more back to back. That's not a vibrant hip hop scene to me. Ice Cream Paint Job and Dallas girls didn't help out the situation much either.
Well that's not all Dallas is about.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
Well that's not all Dallas is about.
Well, post the other stuff that it's about.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Quote:
It's just rap, people. Y'all act like rappers be spittin the Holy Word or somethin lol.

Hip hop music was not born out of lyricism, and even today it isn't always the focus of the song. It's two parts: the lyrics and the beat. As long as one is good I can listen to it.

But I take it you two aren't exactly the dancing type lol.
But lyricism was still part of hip hop and it became the main ingredient to a great artist as hip hop evolved. It transitioned into lyricism once we got to the golden era of hip hop (88-94 sometimes 96). Dancing or party tracks while still there was still balanced out by lyricism. Flow is not the only aspect of a successful artist. His content, wordplay, voice, delivery, subject, and versatility. It shows skill. Plus production and charisma is also an ingredient to a successful artist. This is why when you see many people's top 10, you see people that had great production, a charismatic personality, creative lyrics. You're going to see NAS, Tupac, Common, Jay-Z, and more over Young Joc, Baby, or Lil Jon. This is why hip hop is indeed music. You try telling me that when you listen to the Roots in a concert and try to pass that off as not being music.

When it comes to new artists for hip hop. Fashawn impresses me more because he has the talent and the skill over somebody like Soulja Boy that makes nothing but dancing music. If you don't know who Fashawn is, I'll post a link to one of his songs later.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Quote:

Is it any worse than Frankieeeeee. Memo to Dallas, find an identity. They don't know if they want to Houston or if they want to be Atlanta. DSR was just a weak copy of Swisahouse in the early part of this decade. Not to mention that every member in that crew was hot garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas