Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha58 View Post
I am a 65 year young native Texacan and I live in Rockport! I can tell you that as a hot flashing grandmother I would never move to where it was humid! The breeze makes this coastal area except for Houston and Galveston very pleasant! We are approx. 30 miles from Corpus over the causeway bridge and of course that is where Padre Island starts also. Rockport is very peaceful but growing slowly and it was voted in 2009 as one of the top ten coastal to live in in the United States by "COASTAL LIVING MAGAZINE"! So, it has no jobs to speak of except for local business and one super Walmart, whereas Corpus is lot bigger compared to Rockport or Aransas Pass and Port Arthur etc. Houston is HUMID, and yucky! Don't go there! Look for local or federl jobs in Corpus. I know from the most reliable source that in Corpus that the Naval base is closing and Texas A&M will be overseeing the re-construction of the base to local business and or anyone that wants to lease space on the base! So, that tells me that there will be more jobs in this area. So, check it out and see for yourself. I hope it helps a little for anyone looking to re-locate to Texas!
Corpus needs to redo its downtown, clean up the crime (get rid of all the illegals), bring more businesses in, get a better airport, & promote its city on a national level. Otherwise it would be the perfect place to live along the Gulf Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:36 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
The breeze makes this coastal area except for Houston and Galveston very pleasant!
Good grief. Yeah, somehow Galveston gets no coastal breezes?

Quote:
Rockport is very peaceful but growing slowly and it was voted in 2009 as one of the top ten coastal to live in in the United States by "COASTAL LIVING MAGAZINE"!
Oh, the publication that had its recent Idea House in Galveston? You know, the place with no breezes!

Beachtown (http://www.beachtowngalveston.com/beachtown_gallery_arch.htm - broken link)
Pointe West
Palisade Palms

Quote:
... Houston is HUMID, and yucky! Don't go there!
You must be from central or northern Texas. Thanks for the blanket generalization to avoid Houston based on so-called "yuckiness!"

Quote:
I hope it helps a little for anyone looking to re-locate to Texas!
I'm not a native Texan.
The things some of the natives in other parts of Texas say about Houston is surprising and even appalling and sad. Not helpful. Especially because it's usually flat-out wrong or exaggerated. It's like they have no appreciation for the state's largest city and site of where Texas was won from Mexico (it was even the state capital for a short time... I've found most Texans don't even know this!) Sorry for the rant... it's just I've been hearing so much of this lately and it's getting really tiresome.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,213 times
I am from metro Detroit and lived in Galveston for a while and absolutely loved it. I was very happy there and enjoyed life every day. There are good and bad things about everywhere, it just depends on what you like. I was at the beach literally every day, running, waking, and laying out reading so many books! Every day felt like an adventure! I enjoyed walking my dog on the beach, finding sand dollars and sea shells, and seeing dolphins jump out of the water. I was always at the library checking out books to read on the beach. Is it the nicest beach? No, but it doesn't have to be to enjoy it. Galveston has a good, positive vibe, which is important to me. The people are friendly and there are plenty of things to do. I hardly ever left the island, except when I wanted to go to Kohl's or something. From what I hear now, there are more clothing stores headed to the island so that's a good thing! It's warm/ hot there, but that's what I like. There ARE nice breezes there, especially as you get closer to the beach. It's inexpensive to live on the island, which is awesome! The people are diverse and it's easy to meet people and make friends there; you won't be lonely even if you move there not knowing anyone. There's crime and good/ bad parts like any city. I never had any problems with anyone because I don't associate with criminals. The police in general seemed nice and responded quickly when called. One day I was looking out my window and saw a guy and lady walking down the street and the man hit her hard on her head so i called the police and they arrived within a couple of minutes. Hmm let's see... you can walk, run, bike, etc. along Seawall Blvd. without having to cross streets and you're right along the beach. So fun! There's a variety of stores, restaurants, etc. so like I said you hardly ever have to leave the island..there's walmart, kroger, target, dollar tree, academy (sporting goods), home depot.... just to name a few. There are always planned events going on too~

Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
I know people originally from Corpus Christi who still like to vacation in Rockport. But I've never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas