Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Fort Worth's growth wasn't due to more people moving into Fort Worth. Instead, Fort Worth actually moved to them. The city annexed a lot of land over the last decade that then led to the purported growth in population. Dallas has been landlocked for years and has no more room to annex. Fort Worth will eventually have the same problem.
Ah OK that makes sense. I thought that the 200,000+ population growth was primarily due to the development related to the Shale and the strong economy in general, but didn't know about the annexation part. I know Fort Worth is locked in to the east and to a lesser extent to the north, but do they still have room to annex to the west and south?

And I was halfway kidding about the FWD thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Ah OK that makes sense. I thought that the 200,000+ population growth was primarily due to the development related to the Shale and the strong economy in general, but didn't know about the annexation part. I know Fort Worth is locked in to the east and to a lesser extent to the north, but do they still have room to annex to the west and south?

And I was halfway kidding about the FWD thing.
Fort Worth can annex in any direction except east and northeast.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,982 times
Default DFW Arguement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Again.... that's NOW.

None of us have the ability to see into the future, so I wouldn't just hold my breath and say that Fort Worth will NEVER be bigger than Dallas. And I will stick by that until I'm in my grave.
Ok. I've lived in both Dallas and Fort Worth. Yes Dallas is bigger than Fort Worth and is really still growing. Fort Worth is an industrial city but have you seen the plans to change the style of that? The Trinity River Bypass Project will be in effect soon and will change that industrial style in north Fort Worth to a new modern, hip, and rich like style. Fort Worth is growing really fast to its north but not quite fast enough to catch up to Dallas anytime soon. Fort Worth has the ability to surpass Dallas in population but will not happen for a while. Fort Worth has more room to expand its city limits which Dallas doesnt have much of. If you have ever been uptown Dallas and uptown Fort Worth, you caneasily tell the difference, plus Dallas has ever been expanding and constructing new and tall skyscrapers there. There is a catch to that. If you've ever drivin from Fort Worth to Dallas via I-35, west Dallas has so much land thats barren and undeveloped that it would look like downtown pops out of nowhere. Downtown Fort Worth does not need taller skyscrapers because it doesnt have as many sister cities connected to it as Dallas does and therefore, it wouldnt look right because you could go out like 40 miles from downtown and still see the skyscrapers so downtown Fort Worth is just perfect for the city size.
Chicago has the right to be a big city because it is on a major lake so therefore, it has the help it needs to expand and become more popular. The DFW Metroplex was risen out of NOWHERE and have become joined and is doing very well to not have connections to any major waterways. I bet if the DFW metroplex was where Chicago is, it would b even bigger.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
The Trinity River Project is merely a way to give the rich a lake to build their condos around, ruining a lovely part of Ft Worth and making all of us foot the bill.

I don't know whether Ft Worth will ever surpass Dallas in population. I hope not. It's big enough already.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The Trinity River Project is merely a way to give the rich a lake to build their condos around, ruining a lovely part of Ft Worth and making all of us foot the bill.

I don't know whether Ft Worth will ever surpass Dallas in population. I hope not. It's big enough already.
I'm a little skeptical of the TRV, too. I like the revitalization of the parks and river, but all of that new "uptown" development I'm not sure about. Doesn't seem very Fort Worth-like.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'm a little skeptical of the TRV, too. I like the revitalization of the parks and river, but all of that new "uptown" development I'm not sure about. Doesn't seem very Fort Worth-like.
So Fort Worth should be non-progressive and undeveloped? Dallasites are something else I tell you.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
So Fort Worth should be non-progressive and undeveloped? Dallasites are something else I tell you.

Who said Fort Worth should not progress and develop? There are lots of things Fort Worth is doing that I think are wonderful. My only hope is that they don't try to make the entire area some type of high-end district that caters soley to yuppies while they're building this thing. (Think Victory Park fiasco here). I love Fort Worth. I don't want it to become like Austin where it grows too fast and starts losing its identity.

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 06-22-2011 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 PM

50 posts, read 103,640 times
Dallas County: 1,852,810
Tarrant County: 1,170,103

Difference: 682,707

Dallas County: 2,368,139
Tarrant County: 1,809,034

Difference: 559,105

In 20 years, Tarrant closed the gap by roughly 124,000 people. The counties are roughly the same size in area. At this rate, it will be a while before Fort Worth surpasses Dallas but it is certainly possible. The bigger story is that as the Metroplex grows, the population differences between the cities will be very small compared to their overall population. Even now, 550,000 people isn't much relative to Tarrant Co's population. Plain and simply, Dallas will not be the dominant partner for long and Fort Worth likely will never lead the region. They will be seen as economic equals by the end of this decade.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
Does not matter, regardless of population, the Dallas skyline will overshadow Fort Worth for many decades to come.The Cowboys were in Irving for almost 40 years and are now in Arlington, they are still called the Dallas Cowboys.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM

491 posts, read 886,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I don't want it to become like Austin where it grows too fast and starts losing its identity.
Good point. Ft. Worth could learn a lot from Austin's mistakes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas