Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM

397 posts, read 1,020,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Ok, i missed his first post. Perhaps he was just saying it in jest? I don't know. Sometimes the context of a post is misinterpreted because it lacks the "tone" of verbal communication.
But anyway, personally I don't have an issue with transplants. I don't rule the world or govern this state. I just hope and pray that Texas won't lose its identity, values etc if there are, for instance, tons of tree-hugging, granola-eatin', Birkenstock wearing environmentalist liberals coming from Pacific NW or California or wherever, and start to try to change our ways and our lifestyles. Colorado is a good example. My worst fear is that with all the liberals will come a bunch of radicals etc. PETA trying to stop rodeos-the cowboy way of life-hunting. (I am a BIG animal lover, my dogs are my life, but I am not against rodeo or hunting). Or my worst fear, making same sex marriage legal in Texas.
Yeah, cuz the same-sex couples would really interfere in your daily life. I
am not gay, but gay marriage is something I feel strongly about. I am
embarrassed that California messed it up, but the margin was very narrow,
and I believe we can get it right next time.

I'm afraid, even if TX as a state won't change its way, it will become an issue of federal law eventually, interpreted as a civil right. The wheels turn slowly, but it will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,221,350 times
That's pretty funny, Gretchen. I think everyone everywhere does it and it's really not a big deal as some try to make it to be. I'm glad you gave some moral support to the desk clerk; I'm sure he/she needn't it after all that silliness.

P.S. I never heard of biscuits and gravy until I moved to Texas, but I must say, they are good.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Yeah, cuz the same-sex couples would really interfere in your daily life. I
am not gay, but gay marriage is something I feel strongly about. I am
embarrassed that California messed it up, but the margin was very narrow,
and I believe we can get it right next time.

I'm afraid, even if TX as a state won't change its way, it will become an issue of federal law eventually, interpreted as a civil right. The wheels turn slowly, but it will come.
Now on that subject, I can't agree. I was pleased CA voted for the ban, hence I hope they don't "get it right" as you say........ever.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM

397 posts, read 1,020,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That's pretty funny, Gretchen. I think everyone everywhere does it and it's really not a big deal as some try to make it to be. I'm glad you gave some moral support to the desk clerk; I'm sure he/she needn't it after all that silliness.

P.S. I never heard of biscuits and gravy until I moved to Texas, but I must say, they are good.
Yeah, this granola-eating Californian likes to have them too, occasionally

Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
CC would you like your marriage put to a public vote?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
CC would you like your marriage put to a public vote?
If I were not heterosexual, whatever will be will be. If I were homosexual, I don't think I'd want to change what always was. Of course, I don't know that for a fact because I've not been in those shoes.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times
Nobody seems to have responded to her orig question about Austin and the schools etc. I wonder how she did..did you end up moving to Texas??? There are some sad people out there...who are so negative. Yuck!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,865 times
It is my opinion that if you are born in california...you will not be happy in texas. You should stay in your homestate.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeptexasbeautiful View Post
It is my opinion that if you are born in california...you will not be happy in texas. You should stay in your homestate.
How would you know that unless you were in someone else's shoes? Where one is born is not his or her fault nor is where one is raised. I know many who were born in Texas or in California, and they're perfectly happy in other states. In my opinion, people can be happy anywhere if that happens to be in their nature.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:52 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeptexasbeautiful View Post
Wrong, I was born there and I know many others including our 3 kids, only one would consider moving back..For the most part we loved Texas and our older daughter and her husband have always been happy there..23 years now. My husband was born in Ohio, he wouldn't move there if someone gave him a home and his cousins from WV would not move back there either.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas