Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times

Advertisements

^Oh, sure, if you want to get all technical...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
I-10 is the unofficial dividing line between South East Texas & the Gulf Coast.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:58 PM

56 posts, read 293,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think your kids are going to feel the same way when they get around the age that you left.
Perhaps... and, quite frankly, I'm fine with that. So long as, like me, they finally wise up when they're ready to start a family.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
How far south would you draw the line for East Texas?
I've always felt that Nacogdoches was the last "real" East Texas city before hitting Lufkin, which I'd always considered a "bordertown" between East Texas and the Big Thicket - kinda like with Laredo before you get to Mexico. Laredo might "technically" be a part of Texas, but we all know that's it's pretty much Mexico del Norte.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Okay... I know you're not supposed to talk about religion/politics in civilized conversation, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

I am religious and moderate-to-conservative politically, but of the rather cerebral and/or intellectual stripe (see: Al Mohler, William F. Buckley).

Admittedly, I'm not terribly concerned about being around liberals. After all, I feel like I know where I stand with them most of the time. My concern is, do you think I will be able to find conservative/moderate intellectuals and/or churches in the area? I'm not one to assume that everyone must think/believe as I do, but I would at least expect the opportunity to dialogue.

Your experiences in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
Oh boy....you just opened up a big can of worms. We worried about the same thing....and yes...we had a difficult time finding a church. It took a whole year...but we found it. I would like to see what the other regular posters have to say.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Well, I'm certainly one of the several "Tyler" regulars on these threads. So, I will venture out, hope not offending anyone with only "my opinion." But, I try, not very successfully, to make spiritual but not religious matters in the forefront of my thinking. So maybe, a little cerebal, hate to say I'm an intellectual type. Lets, just say, I came to my own belief systems after much thought, research, and so on. You would have to think Tyler/Longview would have the most options for you. Tyler even, has a "gay" church. Just to point out the variety here. Where I worship is one of the reasons I ramain in Tyler. Spent 25 years in Houston. I "looked" into many denominations and settled into where "I like" all three parts of "church" The teaching, worship, and more teaching in Bible Study, it just happens to be the largest church in East Texas - I did not say the BEST - I really don't think anyone has that congregation anywhere. It's Green Acres Baptist- to me it's more non-denominational, but with a little more toward spreading Grace than some Southern Baptist Churches. However, sin is sin, and just anything goes is not ok but rather sin has it's consequences now or in the future -just the way it is. My main point is I think you can find what you need in the Tyler area. Good luck !!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthaeus View Post
Friend... I would gladly appreciate any further specifics you could offer in this topic. I live in the heart of Anne Arundel (Annapolis), and would like to consider what I'm getting for what I'm giving up.
I apologize for my late reply but I have had to be away from CD for the past few days trying to buy a piece of west Texas realty.

My family lived at Severn but to compare Maryland to Texas is almost blasphemous. Texas is a state of mind while Maryland is just a small state economically piggybacked on the money other states send to D.C.

I've been gone from eastern Texas so long that my views have to be based on occasional short-term visits to see family members who still reside still there. I can only say with certainty that I neither liked the humidity of AA County or Angelina County and, that when I do go back to either, I make certain I have a two-way ticket.

I don't think you are giving up anything by moving from Maryland to anywhere in Texas but that's just my opinion and opinions and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee in a roadside cafe.

Whichever place you decide is best for your family, I do wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM

24 posts, read 109,950 times
My family lives in North East Tx. Wood County. Small towns, quiet living. We've lived in East Tx for over 25 years and in Wood county for over 15. We love it, it works for us.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Because TexasREB live out that way.. haha just kidding man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas