Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM

56 posts, read 293,897 times

Advertisements

I've been internet-searching for a church in the Kilgore area (or even Tyler/Longview) that has more of a contemporary style of music, and finding nada. Not saying there's anything wrong with the traditional/gospel stuff, I would just like to know if there are any places that might utilize some of the quality sacred music that has come out this century?

It's sooo not a "hard-line" requirement or anything but, if such exist, I would like to check 'em out. Any help here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,495 times
We attend Fellowshipchurch @ Allaso Ranch. You may have seen our pastor all over the news this past week. LOL!
Fellowship Church
Allaso Ranch | Home
The church services just started about 7 weeks ago at our new campus. We have very contemporary music and he's a wonderful pastor.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:23 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
I know there is at least one church in Longview out on the loop that is more contemporary. There are probably several more. I generally attend the Catholic church in town (the newer one) when I am there and they have a mass with contemporary music, but I'm sure your not looking for a Catholic church. Not sure about Kilgore at all.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
I need a little more explanation of what you mean by contemporay. To many, this means many drums, giutar, things that seem to especially to appeal to the 30 and under group. Many fairly good sized churches have a contemporay service as explained above, then a more "traditional" service. Now, what does traditional mean. Well I will attempt to explain the Worship Service, music. at the largest and I didn't say "best" church in East Texas and the state. Green Acres Baptist, attendence not membership is about 5,000 each Sunday. With three services 8:15, 9:30 and 11:15. Worship Center only holds 3,300 most attend at 9:30. Now, I enjoy all 3 parts, as I call it of "church," Bible Study, Worship in music, and teaching/preaching "Big Church". But, I would especially have a difficult time attending worship in music at a chruch, if it were not for a large variety of types of music with a strong emphasis on praise music. We sing for almost 25 minutes in the service. Usually hymns, praise and solos, quartets, worship team of 20 or so, with a full orchestra. Lyrics on two large "screens" overhead so you can sing "up" and not down at your belly butto, "you know looking a hymnal". Most people in the choir of about 100 sing because they really, really, enjoy it not because they need someone to just fill a chair in the chior loft. Or the attitude of lets just get this done so we can do what we intended to do, hear the preaching so we can go home and watch the cowboys, it not seen here, opps just kidding, don't want to go that "judgemental" self-righteous route. Very little of that at this church, really, music wise, it's more like a non-denominational church, Bible church. Like sometimes, the men will sing one part the women the next. The music can vary from week to week. I've been told some people just come for a visit to chruch because they have heard of the upbeat, uplifting Worship Service. It is reallly something when 4 or 5 times a year the entire choir of well over 300 sing at the same time, sometimes for all 3 services. The choir and orchestra were invited this last summer to perform in Carnegie Hall in New York City and at one of the outdoor parks. Don't mean or sound to brag, just exicited to share, but you get such a positive, uplifting sense when attending a service, I think by even somewhat by those who are very little "moved" by such things. It really helps me for the week, as well my Sunday school class and the teaching there, and of course from a very gifted Senior Pastor all "help" This may be a little more information than you "needed". But this is probably one of the few things I feel so strongly about. Come try it out, you won't be pushed or asked to do anything, it's big enough if you want to just observe, you can. Of course they will want to welcome you and shake your hand, and invite you to Bible Study where you can "connect" with other believers and grow in Christ and serve and have some fun. "we do all kinds of "suff". Good luck, I hope and am sure you will find what you need somewhere, there are lots of good choices out there - just depends on you

Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Lyrics on two large "screens" overhead so you can sing "up" and not down at your belly butto, "you know looking a hymnal". ...

So does the screen have a little rhythmic ball that bounces on each syllable?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Good, lol, nah, we're into it "enough," almost, without much help. However, I am old "enough" to remember, I think his name was Mitch Miller on some T.V. show back in the 60's where you did "sing along" with him using the bouncing ball on each syllable.

I should have edited the above better, botton and at a hymnal. Oh well.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 11-17-2008 at 05:35 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM

56 posts, read 293,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
I need a little more explanation of what you mean by contemporary. To many, this means many drums, guitar, things that seem to especially to appeal to the 30 and under group...
No offense, but I just can't handle huge blocks of text on message boards.

I can clarify what I mean by "contemporary" but I understand that the term is vague and definitions vary from context to context.

Contemporary doesn't need to be so much an aesthetic as much as it is an attitude. Contemporary, for me, means that we understand that we (as believers) aren't the straw that turns the world's drink, but that we are to engage the world within its own parameters. Salt & Light and all that.

Not in the sense that you bend over backwards to accommodate whatever winds of doctrine and/or cultural trends that come down the pipe, but you interact with the culture in mutually understood dialogue. Think of Paul speaking to the Greeks on Mars Hill, or Christ and the Samaritan woman.

When I think of "contemporary" in the religious sense, I think of a basic framework that is antithetical to the closed off "country club" culture of exclusion and obdurate indifference to the world: a mindset that would rather bury it's head in the ground and wait for "rapture" instead of getting its hands dirty with the immoral and the corrupt.

I could name-drop guys like John Piper, Mark Driscoll, and Tim Keller or use jargon like "emergent" or "missional" to maybe give you a better idea, but I don't think it's something is bound within modern-day advocates or trends. Instead it is, quite simply, that "old time religion" understood for what it was and always should be.

Such congregations, I admit, are rare. However, if such attitudes (as the aforementioned) are not to be found where I am going... then perhaps it is the LORD's Will for me to help bring it there. I have done as much elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM

Yes, noted, your text is much easier to read. Your message, FANTASTIC, Serve on !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas