Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

TexasReb, I 100% completely understand what your saying.

The thing that really got me about this entire election from the beginning was the "race card" being played. I was fortunate enough to be elected a delegate from my district to attend the Democratic "convention" for my Congressional District. It was BLATANTLY obvious that most Obama supporters that happened to be black really, REALLY and I mean REALLY wanted to play that "race card" (not all and it was obvious those people felt VERY discouraged by the actions of those that did want race to be an issue). Looking across the aisles at everyone in attendance at this there were whites, blacks, etc on BOTH SIDES (Hillary vs Obama). Some things happened during the process and trust me if they did not get their way they SCREAMED and it was hard for any business to be conducted. Some of the things these people were protesting about were actual guidelines & laws that HAD TO BE FOLLOWED in order for the entire process to be legal. I wanted to stand up and say (if they could have heard me), "BE QUIET! Your actually perpetuating the very stereotypes that you abhore and denounce." I knew from that first-hand experience that race was going to play a major part in this election by those that WANTED it to be a part of. Sad, very sad. We can't get over ANY hurtles in this world until EVERYONE on both sides stops trying to be racist.

Oh, and I have several black friends that voted McCain and some that are staunch Republicans. To try and label ANYONE based on race, sex, income, location, etc is NOT possible anymore. THAT is what NEEDS to happen. Yet some people can't get over it and they are NOT all in Texas or the South. The results for Texas pretty well prove that race, sex, income and religion know no boundries here.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yep, the devil gets in the details everytime.

Here is something interesting. Look at the numbers for Highland Park and University Park:
Highland Park (Pcts. 1222, 1225-1227)
McCain: 3045 / Obama: 1095 / Others & Write Ins: 33

University Park (Pcts. 1206-1208, 1215-1218)
McCain: 8693 / Obama: 2689 / Others & Write Ins: 102

These are two communities/cities that are WEALTHY whites for the most part. VERY FEW blacks live in these two areas. Oh, for uw21, The Park Cities (what us locals call HP and UP) are two cities that are side by side surrounded by the City of Dallas. This is where ULTRA WEALTHY "white people" live - "OLD MONEY" wealthy people at that. They share a school district - HPISD and you can look up the numbers to see how many ethnic groups are in the schools there. Yet they got a good fair number of Obama votes.
that in itself is shocking! i was always told that those ppl were the most racist in dallas. couldn't it have been their live-in servants that were voting in the district?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
finally got to read through this thread....

such a shame about the behavior of the students at baylor .... WHOever started it....

and the young woman in seattle .... sheesh .... was reading those posts and came early on to the conclusion that she is OBVIOUSLY young enough to still think she is REALLY smart and very intellectual and knows EXACTLY how the world turns ..... heck .... i remember those days myself.... then i got some age and some real wisdom..... THANK GOODNESS......

oh and btw .... the southern states as defined by texasreb have NOTHING in the segregation department on st. louis...... this area has got to be, if not THE most, then one of the most, segregated areas i have ever seen and lived in.........

Old 10-10-2009, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,521 times
Default The "isms" in Texas

As shown in the recent newscasts of people afraid for their children to hear President Obama's inspirational pep talk, the racism (& also the sexism) in most of Texas is so much a part ot the culture, that many folks honestly do not see it. It's there, believe me. As a white female from another stae, I hae repeatedly seen both. Why is it that every time Texas receives national media coverage it is for some super conservative intolerant view or behavior of one of our Texans??? Looks like we'd "get with the rest of the country" & grow into some acceptance of diversity.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
This 11 month-old thread is no longer on topic for the Texas forum. Thread closed.

City-Data has a Politics and Other Controversies forum that is the only place where national politics should be discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas