Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Here ya go. Here's the Presidential voting record of Texas (http://www.texasalmanac.com/politics/prez.pdf - broken link), starting in 1848 going through 2004. The most recent election in which the majority of Texans voted for a Democrat was 1976, it appears. Then, going back, skip one election, and a run of Democrats in 1960, 1964, 1968. The two elections before that went Republican, but, then, Eisenhower was from Texas, so that's easily explained. If you keep going back, you're going to see that Texas, far from voting red historically, has voted blue historically until very recent times.
Well, you also have to understand that "democrat" didn't have the same meaning back through the years that it does now.

Texas was once heavily democratic, but it was still CONSERVATIVE. There were conservative democrats and there were liberal democrats. Texas had mostly conservative dems in office.

Now....most conservative democrats would be considered Republicans.

Now, having said that, the Republicans have also started leaning much more left and more liberal.

*Tears hair out*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 12:11 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
that was in 1978. Something happened right around in there to cause the change, I would think.

I've heard theories it was the Democratic Party moving further and further left, in essence moving out from under their voters in Texas, and that makes sense - parties are living things, not cast in stone. But I'm open to other theories, as well.

I would agree with your assessment. This I am sure is being diluted as people move in from liberal states /areas.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Red = Republican, Blue = Democrat...Meaning that the majority of Texas normally votes Republican, as does PA. I'm surprised that PA went blue this election.

I don't ever recall Texas voting primarily blue (Democrat) in any election that I have been alive to know about. Now granted, I'm not that old, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Has Texas EVER voted primarily blue (Democrat) in any Presidential election? I don't think so... If I'm wrong, please include which President/year that it happened.
I'm not surprised PA went blue since it's gone that way for the past several elections. Plus with the record breaking black vote, it would've been really, really tough for McCain to win that state. He lost by 10 points - it wasn't even close.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:01 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
not all hispanics all democrats, as a matter of fact, hispanics consist of the fastest growing sector of republicans.
'n glad to be a part of them...sort of...

Old 11-08-2008, 08:32 PM

140 posts, read 493,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
They wont, but I can. Forum Troll. ( look at the rep score )
Actually I just dont live my life on this forum, like others do. I check it on occasion and post from time to time. I know there are just a lot of ignorant people in this world, and well, as others have stated we all have the right to our opinion. Just glad I dont live in one of those "red" counties as the OP wants.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
[sarcasm]Yeah.. supporting City-Data is no life at all. I hear ya. We must be a bunch of pathetic losers to spend time on a forum we enjoy.[/sarcasm]

Another person who likes that word ignorant, yet has no clue what it means. Do you get the feeling that the people who toss it around like that are the ones it reflects on?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:08 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
not all hispanics all democrats, as a matter of fact, hispanics consist of the fastest growing sector of republicans.
Well not all of one group would choose to follow the same things. If anyone believed that all Hispanics are democrat, they are a bit naive. Same thing with blacks in the country. But like blacks, most hispanics are democrats and most new hispanics in Texas are democrats. Considering that the democrats are starting to reach out to the hispanics in a much more aggressive way than republicans, expect Texas to get tighter and tighter in future races for presidents.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:04 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
[sarcasm]Yeah.. supporting City-Data is no life at all. I hear ya. We must be a bunch of pathetic losers to spend time on a forum we enjoy.[/sarcasm]

Another person who likes that word ignorant, yet has no clue what it means. Do you get the feeling that the people who toss it around like that are the ones it reflects on?
You are so funny. I definitely know what it means and you know I do. Why you say otherwise is very curious. I will not use that word anymore if it bothers you and possibly others so much. I'm not ******** about most things, but all of us are ******** about some things. None of us have all the answers. Bye bye, word. You're out of my vocabulary.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:08 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4512 View Post
Actually I just dont live my life on this forum, like others do. I check it on occasion and post from time to time. I know there are just a lot of ignorant people in this world, and well, as others have stated we all have the right to our opinion. Just glad I dont live in one of those "red" counties as the OP wants.
I prefer a red county, but I do agree with you about "spending life" on the forum. I'm very disappointed in myself because I'm totally addicted to it although I do enjoy it. I can't believe I waste so much time when I could be doing something productive.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:04 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Actually where I live most county and even state elections go dimocrat. And it has since Reconstruction. And truthfully it doesn't have the same connotations as a POTUS or even Federal vote. At the county and even state level social issues rarely come into play and of course national issues are moot. Repubs never win local elections where I live.

I frequently vote Dim locally too, but never federally and this has no effect on me where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas