Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Only Hispanics outnumber Whites in Texas.
By and large, the Hispanics have more in common with Republicans than Democrats, from the perspective on religion, abortion, and work ethic. They tend to go Democrat because of the illegal alien issue. But if the Republicans make a real effort to bring Hispanics in, I think their vote could switch. I was listening to Dennis Miller last night and an hispanic from LA called and talked about this same issue. As Miller said, "We have more in common than not."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
At the time that Texas was a "solid blue state", it did not mean what it means today. Even though it was once majority democrat, those democrats very often leaned conservative....and are a far cry from what a democrat generally means today.
Yes, and the Republicans also changed colors. Don't forget Lincoln was a Republican and after the Civil War, south being Democratic fought off the carpet baggers. It stayed that way up till Teddy Roosevelt era. Since the intergration policies in the 50's and 60's south flipped to the Republican party and conservatism and the Democrats went liberal.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
At the time that Texas was a "solid blue state", it did not mean what it means today. Even though it was once majority democrat, those democrats very often leaned conservative....and are a far cry from what a democrat generally means today.
Tell that to the people that go around saying "Abraham Lincoln was a republican"

Old 11-21-2009, 09:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Tell that to the people that go around saying "Abraham Lincoln was a republican"
LOL!! Uh huh......

Old 11-21-2009, 11:24 PM

206 posts, read 503,435 times
Yea right libs, next thing your gonna tell us is how Texas will follow the trend of hope and change right behind the death grip liberal states like NJ. Oh yea I forgot that liberal bastion just voted CONSERVATIVE. Gee it must be voter fraud seeing as that state has been run by Dems for decades.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
Yea right libs, next thing your gonna tell us is how Texas will follow the trend of hope and change right behind the death grip liberal states like NJ. Oh yea I forgot that liberal bastion just voted CONSERVATIVE. Gee it must be voter fraud seeing as that state has been run by Dems for decades.
I'm not a lib.......

The really scary thing is that Texas just barely stayed red 2008--and NM, where I now live--went blue, along with others.

We can hope that the recent elections indicate that some are finally waking up and realizing just what they elected--voter fraud/dead people notwithstanding.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM

206 posts, read 503,435 times
Cathy, a lot of traditional states and areas got hooked on the hype perpetrated by the sell outs in the media. Heres how the movie ends- Hes a radical! by the time Nov 2012 rolls around Voters wont be able to send this guy to the rubbish pile fast enough, right on top of that anti Semite Carter.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
Cathy, a lot of traditional states and areas got hooked on the hype perpetrated by the sell outs in the media. Heres how the movie ends- Hes a radical! by the time Nov 2012 rolls around Voters wont be able to send this guy to the rubbish pile fast enough, right on top of that anti Semite Carter.
One can hope. The media really did help them out big time.

One really realizes how meaningless the Nobel Peace Prize has become, when you look at these two recent recipients.

The election was mostly a backlash against Bush/Cheney. Not a fan of either myself, but that didn't translate to a vote for BO.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
It *could* definitely by 2016.

500k new people each year from California, NY, Northeast, Midwest, etc. will favor that demographically. Also becoming more and more minorities (it's already a minority majority state with blacks + hispanics + asians outnumbering whites).

Whites are still the majority in Texas.
Texas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder=

And your statement relies heavily on the assumption that all people from California, NY, Northeast and Midwest that move to texas are democrats. Just like the metro areas in Texas are anomalies in the state and vote democrat, many of those states have anomalies that heavily vote republican.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Whites are still the majority in Texas.
Texas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder=
Depends on how you define it.

Non-Hispanic whites make up less than 50% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas