Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

My opinion is that it is doubtful, but possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default It is plausible...

I doubt that will happen anytime soon also, but it is possible. Too many people with property to let the government take control of it, too many people with guns , so I don't see it turning blue for a while.

Houston has a lot of diversity, and a lot of transplants, but they are concentrated in certain areas of town, most of the surrounding area is deep red, or as Murtha said, 'a bunch of rednecks'. Not that there is anything wrong with rednecks.

The concentrated areas of Houston is where you find poor blacks, Latinos and Asians, this is where your blue comes from. It's hard not to vote for the hand that feeds you.

I work the elections in my county as an election judge, and I can assure you, Texas is not going blue for a long time.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:43 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You are wrong

Whites represent 48.9% of the population in Texas according to the 2006 Census. How fair is it to compare one demographic group to five others?
I think you are misunderstanding him. Texas, along with Hawaii, New Mexico, and California, are the only states that have a larger minority population than the majority population. The majority population is obviously White. The minorities equal the population of the rest of Texas. So in actuality, it is fair. Besides, there are still more Whites in Texas than Hispanics.

Anyway, to answer the question. It could happen. It all comes down to how he does in his first couple years of his first term and if the democrats really have an interest in the state by spending money. I believe they will start spending money now since the demographics are changing. For Texas to go blue, the democrats MUST hit the suburbs. Ft. Bend County and maybe even Galveston county I believe will be blue in 2012 and so will Tarrant (not a suburban county but still a huge change).

Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
That's not true. Houston is a magnet for college educated kids and many of the Rice U and UH students went to Obama. It wasn't just poor hispanics, blacks, and whites. Everybody that voted for Obama is not poor and it wasn't concentrated. Obama won the city of Houston just like Kerry did in 2004.

And you are selling Texas short when it comes to changing. McCain barely won Ft. Bend County and the republicans had closer than normal percentages in Galveston and Tarrant County. With the exception of Comal County, the Austin-San Antonio area is also going blue. Again, the republican had closer than normal percentages in Williamson AND Bell County which is home to Ft. Hood.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's not true. Houston is a magnet for college educated kids and many of the Rice U and UH students went to Obama. It wasn't just poor hispanics, blacks, and whites. Everybody that voted for Obama is not poor and it wasn't concentrated. Obama won the city of Houston just like Kerry did in 2004.

And you are selling Texas short when it comes to changing. McCain barely won Ft. Bend County and the republicans had closer than normal percentages in Galveston and Tarrant County. With the exception of Comal County, the Austin-San Antonio area is also going blue. Again, the republican had closer than normal percentages in Williamson AND Bell County which is home to Ft. Hood.
I agree with you spade, there are many educated people in Houston. Perhaps you misunderstood what I said, which is that there are large concentrations of poor ethnic groups who will always vote for Democratic for obvious reasons, and not that it was just poor voters.

Based on my years of working the elections, I've seen this trend. It happened after H., the pendulum swung in Clinton's favor, then it swung in W.'s favor, and as expected, it swung again to Democrats. I will predict that it will swing for Republicans in 2012, or 2016.

I think both sides need to be careful, because this pendulum swings harder with each swing, not softer.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I think now that Obama is going to give citizenship to those here illegally from Mexico and allow them to start bringing in family members that are still back home, which is going to be a significant number of people moving in, Texas will very likely go blue.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
It's the end of GOP. We are tired of grumpy old pals.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think now that Obama is going to give citizenship to those here illegally from Mexico and allow them to start bringing in family members that are still back home, which is going to be a significant number of people moving in, Texas will very likely go blue.
'Very well could happen. This is the kinetic energy that drives the pendulum I am speaking of.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times
Not all of Austin is Blue. Just Travis county is blue (where all the "Keep Austin Weird" crowd lives). You have the majority of long time Austinites, hippies, and alternative lifestyles live in this county. Williamson, Hays, and Bastrop are red counties. This is where the good ol' boys, rednecks, and some transplants live.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
I hope not, I kind of like living behind enemy lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas