U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Texas
3,494 posts, read 13,889,969 times
Reputation: 1402

Advertisements

semi-retired....but still do go to a local honkytonk very now and then just to get out of the house, but i enjoy the ghost town jamboree even more, much like a family reunion rather than a meat market.
but i have fond memories of my days when i was the Queen of the Honkiytonks in Cowtown-i spent just about every weekend (and some weekdays) at Rodeo Exchange, Cadillac Cantina in Ft Worth.
and i as I moved further out west, I hung out at Woody's in Mineral Wells (a burger/beer joint), Trio Club in Mingus, a very rowdy honkytonk near Possum Kingdom Lake/Graford/Graham called "Sam's" (i think, the full name will come to me), and the Rusty Nail Saloon in Graford, Cattle Baron Steakhouse in Ft Worth/White Settlement where Cattle Baron Boys played old Bob Wills tunes and there was a real sawdust dance floor, The Barn in Jermyn (a BYOB in a big pole barn). Grahams Central Station and Ropers in Wichita Falls....yeah i got around in my wild days!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
 
10,238 posts, read 18,868,221 times
Reputation: 5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
semi-retired....but still do go to a local honkytonk very now and then just to get out of the house, but i enjoy the ghost town jamboree even more, much like a family reunion rather than a meat market.
but i have fond memories of my days when i was the Queen of the Honkiytonks in Cowtown-i spent just about every weekend (and some weekdays) at Rodeo Exchange, Cadillac Cantina in Ft Worth.
and i as I moved further out west, I hung out at Woody's in Mineral Wells (a burger/beer joint), Trio Club in Mingus, a very rowdy honkytonk near Possum Kingdom Lake/Graford/Graham called "Sam's" (i think, the full name will come to me), and the Rusty Nail Saloon in Graford, Cattle Baron Steakhouse in Ft Worth/White Settlement where Cattle Baron Boys played old Bob Wills tunes and there was a real sawdust dance floor, The Barn in Jermyn (a BYOB in a big pole barn). Grahams Central Station and Ropers in Wichita Falls....yeah i got around in my wild days!
Hey, NOTAM. Nice to meet you! I saw your post on the other thread and immediately came to look over your "resume" LOL

I remember Graham Central Station for sure. Ropers? THAT one I can't quite place...where was it?

I mostly hung out in the country and western clubs/joints on Scott Street. Little Brothers and Wildcatter Club in particular. This would have been in the mid/late 70's and early 80's. Also, there was a "Dance Hall" out on the Old Archer City Highway. One of those with the HUGE wooden dance floor and ringed with tables all around. It was beer and set-ups they served.

Do you (or anyone else familiar with the Wichita Falls area) happen to remember a place just across the Oklahoma line called "The HillTop"? This was a place which served beer all night long. So lots of us, when we weren't quite ready to call it a night...would say "let's head to the Hilltop." It was a VERY rowdy joint...but they had some tough bouncers in there who always kept it just short of mayhem!

The general rule was, raise all the hell and get as loud and tooted as you please...but start any real trouble or get belligerent and you will outta here and barred for life (after being taken out back and taught that simple lesson in manners in a direct way! ).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,017,083 times
Reputation: 4934
I'll never retire as long as Dale Watson is serving up the honky tonk songs and Ginny's serving up the cold lone stars!!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/steelcitywoman/Dale1.jpg (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Republic of Texas or The Land of Enchantment
550 posts, read 1,504,557 times
Reputation: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hey, NOTAM. Nice to meet you! I saw your post on the other thread and immediately came to look over your "resume" LOL

I remember Graham Central Station for sure. Ropers? THAT one I can't quite place...where was it?

I mostly hung out in the country and western clubs/joints on Scott Street. Little Brothers and Wildcatter Club in particular. This would have been in the mid/late 70's and early 80's. Also, there was a "Dance Hall" out on the Old Archer City Highway. One of those with the HUGE wooden dance floor and ringed with tables all around. It was beer and set-ups they served.

Do you (or anyone else familiar with the Wichita Falls area) happen to remember a place just across the Oklahoma line called "The HillTop"? This was a place which served beer all night long. So lots of us, when we weren't quite ready to call it a night...would say "let's head to the Hilltop." It was a VERY rowdy joint...but they had some tough bouncers in there who always kept it just short of mayhem!

The general rule was, raise all the hell and get as loud and tooted as you please...but start any real trouble or get belligerent and you will outta here and barred for life (after being taken out back and taught that simple lesson in manners in a direct way! ).
Graham Central. I used to hang out and floor walk a Honky Tonk in Odessa when I was young called the Stardust Club. It was one of the first H. Graham clubs, and One heck of a dance hall!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,506 posts, read 25,877,702 times
Reputation: 4890
The only night life in Texas is in Dallas, Houston, Austin, & San Antonio unless you're talking about ****** tonk saloons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Slaughter Creek, Travis County
1,194 posts, read 3,824,097 times
Reputation: 977
When Toni Price is in town here in Austin, I love to go listen to her sing at her Hippy Hour at the Continental Club. Her next Hippy Hour is next Tuesday at 6:00 PM at the Continental Club. I get my live music and go to bed at a reasonable hour.

And TexasGirl, Dale is Monday night fixture at the Continental Club.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,017,083 times
Reputation: 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post

And TexasGirl, Dale is Monday night fixture at the Continental Club.
I know it! I LOVE the Continental Club too!

Sunday---Dale at Ginny's
Monday---Dale at Continental Club
Tuesday--Dale at The Belmont
Wed------Dale at The Broken Spoke
Thurs-----Dale at Ginny's
Fri/Sat----Check his schedule!

Can y'all tell I love Dale Watson and the Lonestars?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
14,866 posts, read 33,479,430 times
Reputation: 8175
Quote:
a nightclub in Beaumont Texas called Cutters
Now THAT was a shady place

'Ropers' was up in North Austin (if that is the one you are talking about) and drew a lot of the north Austin/RR/GTown crowd. The 'Lumberyard' was up that way, too, but changed into a strip club. 'Dallas' had the best dancing (quality-wise). Hmm...I think 'New West' was a place we went for a while in college..they had the best specials (early in th evening) and then we headed out to 'Dallas' for the late night specials and the better crowd.

As for when I gave it up? Hmmm...probably when I was around 30, I guess, although I didn't give it up cold-turkey. The wife and I head out to two-step once in a blue moon, usually early in the evening (at Dallas or Midnight Rodeo, once in a while at the Spoke) before the younger party crowd sets in and we only have to share the dance floor with a dozen or so couples. Oh, and of course we have to get a baby sitter now, that is new .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM
 
Location: North of DFW
595 posts, read 2,621,141 times
Reputation: 217
I retired for the most part in 1984. My job involved the ability to travel all over the world so I didn't just go out in Texas....All were fun. I sure do wish I had all that money I spent back! When I turned 26 to 27...I just kind of said...I'm to old for this .......now we like going out with friends....sittng by a nice fire.....or lake scene.....that kind of stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,017,083 times
Reputation: 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
I retired for the most part in 1984. My job involved the ability to travel all over the world so I didn't just go out in Texas....All were fun. I sure do wish I had all that money I spent back! When I turned 26 to 27...I just kind of said...I'm to old for this .......now we like going out with friends....sittng by a nice fire.....or lake scene.....that kind of stuff.
26-27 and you thought you were too old for going out?!?! Crap--I'm 47, still going strong! Here's a picture of me outside of a club up in Gatesville, taken a little over 2 months ago! You're never too old to 2-step in Texas!
Attached Thumbnails
When did you "retire" from the Texas Night Life?-img_1002.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top