U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:39 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,501,157 times

Advertisements

Now that the election is over, the time has come to take a trip with my pooch. I want to explore west Texas for a change, and I'm leaning toward heading out toward Fort Davis and that area. But where to go, what to do, what to see, what to put on an agenda for two or three weeks, where to stay, camping in a tent or motelling it? So many questions, so many decisions. So I thought I'd run it through this forum, how about that?

I live in North Central Texas, just south of Fort Worth. A couple of places I've already decided on, one being the Vietnam archives at Texas Tech, and anything else around Lubbock, just to start with. Then ankle on out toward Fort Davis.

Oh, I'm thinking along the lines of January or February. I'd even entertain meeting some of y'all on the way, coming or going.

I was also thinking about going up into New Mexico, southern part. Any suggestions?

Preciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 PM

8,062 posts, read 17,071,378 times
Will you be passing through Abilene? If so, I'd be happy to meet you for coffee or lunch.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Will you be passing through Abilene? If so, I'd be happy to meet you for coffee or lunch.
Probably so. It would be a pleasure! I'll jot it down on a spreadsheet, and be in contact if/when it happens! Thanks!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,175,051 times
The problem with West Texas is the huge drives through nothing to get to interesting places. I actually like desert landscapes, and would say the further South you go in West Texas, you start getting into some pretty landscapes with mountains and such.

Highway 90 is a pretty neat drive through some historical parts of West Texas all the way to El Paso (well, Van Horn).

Also, Big Bend is a very under rated national park and have enjoyed it several times.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,066,586 times
I'm not familiar much with West Texas but I agree, Big Bend, although I haven't been and would like to some day. How about Marfa? It's small but an interesting little town. Then of course maybe you'll get to see the Marfa lights! That would be cool.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I'm not familiar much with West Texas but I agree, Big Bend, although I haven't been and would like to some day. How about Marfa? It's small but an interesting little town. Then of course maybe you'll get to see the Marfa lights! That would be cool.
I keep reading/hearing of the Marfa lights. And yes, Big Bend is in my plans, along with Van Horn. Haven't been through that area since New Year's Day, 1975. Has it changed much?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,066,586 times
Delta Planter, have you been to this website? www.traveltex.com

It's great for planning trips and there's a link for a free travel guide which I've gotten in the past. Very informative!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 PM

714 posts, read 2,736,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I keep reading/hearing of the Marfa lights. And yes, Big Bend is in my plans, along with Van Horn. Haven't been through that area since New Year's Day, 1975. Has it changed much?
I was in the Big Bend area this past summer, the first time I had been there since 1994 or 1995, so these are the changes I noted.

I would say that Alpine has changed a lot, more development, more large houses, more hotels, restaurants, etc. Most of the changes are on the east, west and north ends of the town, and near Sul Ross. It still has a good "feel" to it. Marfa is getting kinda "artsy" and there are a few more amenities to the town. Fort Davis hasn't changed much. There seemed to be more development in the Study Butte/Terlingua area in regards to a few small shops and eating places. Lajitas has changed, it is more of a resort type area. Marathon is about the same, although I think there are better eating places. The restaurant at the Big Bend Basin was a good improvement over the last time. Over all, Big Bend still has the "remote" feel to the area, but Alpine has a few more amenities. They still don't have a Wal Mart, they voted a proposed one down.

BTW, they have an excellent viewing area for the Marfa Lights, a BIG improvement over what they had when I last visited.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:49 PM

588 posts, read 2,701,426 times
If you're at all interested in astronomy, don't forget about the McDonald Observatory near Fort Davis. It's one of the world's leading outer space research centers, with a great visitors center.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:44 PM

714 posts, read 2,736,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
If you're at all interested in astronomy, don't forget about the McDonald Observatory near Fort Davis. It's one of the world's leading outer space research centers, with a great visitors center.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. They have improved the visitor's center since the last time I was there in the early 1990s. They also added a new scope in the past few years, one of the largest in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas