Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Bush is history and Perry is about to be and I couldn't be happier about that! Perry is nothing but a snake in the grass and Bush, hmmm, what can you say, maybe a little 'bless his heart'? Bush reminds me of a little boy trying to follow in his daddy's footsteps, doing everything his daddy and his daddy's cronies tell him to do. Just my two cents worth, but to even remotely consider Bush a Texan is stretching the imagination to its limits.

Now I don't want to step on any toes here, but I used to say it took 5 generations to breed that 'crap' out. OK, OK, just a good hearted joke, don't hang me! But seriously, George Bush is East Coast! So, he tries to dress like a Texan, he tries to talk like a Texan, it is superficial. All of this wouldn't matter one hill of a beans if he had been capable of stepping up to the plate and fullfilling the job he claimed he was capable of doing. I admire people who proud to be who they are and don't feel the need to be a chameleon. For some unexplainable reason, Bush likes to portray himself as a 'good ole Texas boy'. Why? I have no use for someone who tries to be what they are not. This just speak volumes to me. All this 'yankee' / 'rebel' stuff is alright to kid about, etc., but when it come to electing one of our countrymen to be the leader of our nation, I truly don't think it's a card that plays in any intelligent person's reasoning as to why they will or will not support that person. They will instead be more intent on the important issues (no need to list them here, we all know what they are) of the person. I, for one, am really sick and tired of being presented with a pool of mediocre at best, downright crooks at worst, to choose from when selecting our government leaders. We should demand better than this. Now, this might sound silly to you, but if I were picking a horse to buy, I'd damn sure be more choosey about my selection than what we seem to be about picking the leaders of our country. We really need to set our feet down, say, hey, if this is all you got, I'm sorry, but I'm going to keep on looking. Just a side note note, but lordy, all it'd take is one look at Bush's eyes, and he'd be sent to the back of the herd, pronto! Got to say, the eyes are an easy indicator of intelligence.

I couldn't force myself to vote for 'Daddy' Bush or 'Little George'. People are who they are regardless of where they come from and if you're going to put your faith and confidence in another person, you need to be able to size that person up, in my opinion. Both of these fellows felled well short of the absolutely lowest expectations I could have of them.

As far as Bush being a Texan, well, I think it's kinda like you either get it or you don't. Bush doesn't 'get it'. It's like the girl who doesn't know how to flirt. She tries (bless her heart) but if she doesn't 'get it' well, what can I say, she doesn't get it. Now, the funny part of all of this crazy rambling is, there are people out there who will 'get' what I'm trying to say and the others are the ones who will never 'get it'. But, the best part of all of this is that it does provide for lively discussions and how great is it that we can all have different opinions and are able to voiced them!
Good post, lonestar. I'm trying to be convinced albeit it's hard that Bush isn't a Texan. I hate to think he's just another pretentious person who married a lovely unpretentious lady, but if the shoe fits, I guess he must wear it.

Anyway, if Mr. Obama can fix all that is broken, more power to him. I'll always be a conservative person to the max. I really am not one to speak well of politics because my life is filled with more important things and as you say, we're often stuck with the crooked anyway. Unfortunately, that's not only in politics.

Have a great day; you seem like a really nice and down-to-earth Texan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Mom is not playing a game like THL thinks. She's downright hostile and terribly defensive. Grrrr!
Oh puh-lease. Where on earth was I "downright hostile" and "terribley defensive". I gave out HISTORY of the state based on YOUR remarks. I'd say someone is a bit testy today. Maybe the cold cloud covered days are not as good to you as you may think

Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I skimmed it again and read the part about Laura. I do agree that she couldn't do what Ann did, but I have a real problem with women in politics and pulpits. It just is something I don't care for. I don't think Laura is so much prim and proper as she is kind and caring, the kind of woman I think many of us admire. Of course, many of us admire the Ann type as well, but we do all have our preference.

Okay, I'm sorry if I said things about your beloved Ann that you didn't like because I don't know the whole history of her and what she did for Texas. If she pleased you, then it must be good.
Sometimes one has to do more than just "skim" to get a true understanding of what is being said.

Well sometimes there are jobs that it just takes a woman to grab it by the horns and get it done. While you personaly may not care for women in politics this particular woman you brought up did a LOT for this state and kept it afloat. She did a LOT TO HELP YOU even if you don't want to believe it. Maybe we should go back to the days where women were only allowed to be kept in the kitchen, barefoot, pregnant, no education, no rights, no voice, etc. A lot of women helped shape a lot of how this country is run and if it had not been for them we surely would already be in hell as the bottom of the handbasket would not have been woven so tightly to hold it in.

No, what you have said is that YOU view Dubya as a "real native Texan" when in fact he is so far from one that it isn't even funny. Watch ANY movie or tv show that has THE ABSOLUTE WORST Hollywood stereotype of a Texan and it has Dubya written all over it.

This will take some REAL reading to do but I started a thread about Ann Richards. Here you can click on a link and see all that she did to HELP this state that also has probably helped YOU more than you even realize.
//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...-richards.html

Last edited by momof2dfw; 12-23-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Where the heck did THIS come from?

I think all of what we have all said sailed right over your lil ol head. Bless your heart. ~~~shaking my head~~~

The "independence" I'm referring to is how MOST Natives of Texas were raised by their families that came down thru the lines of the hard times they endured and how they ended up IN TEXAS!
It came from you and this.... While many of us have deep Southern roots we are a "different" breed. Much more independent than most for sure.

And I was supposed to read between the lines? That's the problem with forums; most of us are not mind readers.

I thought you were referring to today's people. Most of us have come through hard times some place in this world, so that's really not a big deal. Many rise above those hard times and are better for it; others do not and that's pretty much the case in today's world. The independent of today leave a lot to be desired.

Please don't bless my heart because it's just so phony and unattractive. Of course, that's why you did it.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I lived in Highland Park for some years when I was a teenager. Me and my preacher's widow mother. Not a thing pretentious about us, and there were quite a few like us living there then. Just not what people see when they look at the surface of things.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL But I...and a decided majority do! BUT...notice how I have "been good" about staying out of this one?
TexReb, I have yet to see any verifiably unbiased evidence that a "decided majority" does, or does not, consider Texas to be part of the South (as opposed to having some Southern influence along with all the rest of the influences).

Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Sometimes one has to do more than just "skim" to get a true understanding of what is being said.

Well sometimes there are jobs that it just takes a woman to grab it by the horns and get it done. While you personaly may not care for women in politics this particular woman your brought up did a LOT for this state and kept it afloat. She did a LOT TO HELP YOU even if you don't want to believe it. Maybe we should go back to the days where women were only allowed to be kept in the kitchen, barefoot, pregnant, no education, no rights, no voice, etc. A lot of women helped shape a lot of how this country is run and if it had not been for them we surely would already be in hell as the bottom of the handbasket would not have been woven so tightly to hold it in.

No, what you have said is that YOU view Dubya as a "real native Texan" when in fact he is so far from one that it isn't even funny. Watch ANY movie or tv show that has THE ABSOLUTE WORST Hollywood stereotype of a Texan and it has Dubya written all over it.
Duh, but I think I can safely say most of us don't read every word. Forgive me for ignoring your wisdom.

I never called Bush a native (one has to be born here to be a native), so forget that one. I said he was a Texan to me. If he's acting, fine. I believe you; let it rest. He's almost toast anyway and we can move on to the man who will fix what he ruined.

I apologized for offending you about Ann. I said I believed you when you said she did well for Texas. Are you not reading every single word? Shame on you.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the big difference. in texas when they approve of you your back is covered 24/7.
in california better get yourself a rear view mirror asap.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I lived in Highland Park for some years when I was a teenager. Me and my preacher's widow mother. Not a thing pretentious about us, and there were quite a few like us living there then. Just not what people see when they look at the surface of things.
I agree with you wholeheartedly there. My beloved guy friend is from Highland Park, a native Texan, and the most wonderful person I've met since living in Texas. He's a total jewel and as real as can be.

I didn't mean to imply all were pretentious just because they have money, but oh my, there truly are some humdingers that I've met.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And I (and a lot of Texans) don't consider Texas to be a part of the South, either.
Quote:
While many of us have deep Southern roots we are a "different" breed. Much more independent than most for sure.
Quote:
It came from you and this.... While many of us have deep Southern roots we are a "different" breed. Much more independent than most for sure.

And I was supposed to read between the lines? That's the problem with forums; most of us are not mind readers.

I thought you were referring to today's people. Most of us have come through hard times some place in this world, so that's really not a big deal. Many rise above those hard times and are better for it; others do not and that's pretty much the case in today's world. The independent of today leave a lot to be desired.

Please don't bless my heart because it's just so phony and unattractive. Of course, that's why you did it.

Yes, I guess I should not have expected someone not in tune w/ the ROOTS of a Native Texan to understand the independence I was talking about.

You called Bush a Texan AND a Southerner. He is neither. THL, added that many Texans don't view themselves as "Southern" and there is a reason. It comes from our ROOTS! There is an independence that was bred into us from our ancestors and has been carried down from one generation to the next. Bush doesn't carry ANY of those traits nor that independence that we have been taught and are expected to carry on and pass down.

See, that is it. The hard times of today and in the last 20-30-40 years is NOTHING like what some of us have been brought up to learn from. Even though some of us did not live thru the Civil War (gosh, yes I have to bring that up as that is where the "independence" of most Texans comes from and our "Southern" roots) and the depression we have been taught by our ancestors about it and made sure we were NEVER to forget the hard times they faced. To show courage, brawn, will power, guts and glory and we had to be independent to get thru it as many times other than God there would not be ANYONE there to help us out. Again, I'm guessing this is something that will go right over your head as a lot of people that are not from this area don't understand that history nor have they been taught it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas