Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 AM

132 posts, read 350,946 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Houston all my life and considering moving to Denver, but I'm not sure if I can handle the cold.

If you are a native texan or someone from the south that has mild winters like Houston and have moved some where with a cold winter I would like to know if you ever adapted to it or if you just moved back to some place warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I am a native Texan planning to move to either Tenn or North Carolina because of the heat in Houston and to be near the mountains. We spent some time in western NC in January of 2007, it snowed and was cold and we loved it. If you want to move to Denver, you should spend some time there in the winter and see if you like it.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
I've spent a lot of time in the cold, and I love it. Will be moving to New England in the next few years. Like this morning, when it was 27, was perfect to me. The way December ought to be.

The thing with the cold is that it takes a bit more time to get dressed. No more shorts and sandals and away you go. Everything takes a few minutes longer. Driving, dressing, going out.

Also, the pretty white snow on Christmas that looks so beautiful? By February it will be gray slush, with more coming, that adds 20 minutes each morning to your commute.

Some people decide to hide from the cold. If that's you, you'll hate it wherever you go. If you can embrace, dress a little more warmly, and enjoy things like hiking, skiing, ice skating, and snow-mobiling, you'll learn to love it. And it really makes you love spring and summer even more.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
I've lived in Houston all my life and considering moving to Denver, but I'm not sure if I can handle the cold.

If you are a native texan or someone from the south that has mild winters like Houston and have moved some where with a cold winter I would like to know if you ever adapted to it or if you just moved back to some place warm.
I am just the opposite, I grew up in Ohio/WVa and moved south as an adult. But when I go to Ohio/WVa for visits during the winter, I have trouble handling the extreme cold.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
You'd need to pay me a lot of money to get me to move to the cold. I notice a lot of people who live along the Gulf don't realize that are parts of the south that actually have 4 seasons w/ real winters, and without the prolonged, oppressive heat we experience here. The Texas Gulf plain is noticably hotter than the rest of the Gulf south, and with the same humidity. However that's ok for me. I prefer a beach getup year-round.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM

170 posts, read 598,416 times
I was born in Virginia and lived in Texas for seven years. We've lived near Chicago since 2005 and have adapted pretty well to the colder weather (it's 15 degrees as I type!). The winters do get a little tiring, mostly because my poor wife has to be out early in the morning and late at night for work. The short days also get a little depressing. On the other hand, the cooler weather is a nice change after hot summers. Hard freezes kill the bugs, too.

But we're moving back to Texas in about seven months, almost certainly to Kerrville. We'll still get a little taste of winter there without so many of the negative side effects. Of course, there are a whole slew of other reasons to return, but that's another story!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I'm a Texan that moved to Colorado for 5 yrs. Like summers here, winters are just as long there. The GOOD thing about the winter there is that it doesn't stay gray and overcast. There's still sunshine. However, it does get old shoveling yourself out if it's high enough (snow), throwing hot water on your car door so you can get it open if it freezes shut. You have to let cars warm up for a bit and leave a LOT earlier than you think you may need to. Ice can be on the freeways and it will cause a major backup. It's not recommended to drive over 30mph when roads are like this. You'll like the snow if you like skiing and other winter sports. It's nice getting all bundled up Spring is more when things get really slushy and messy. Always keep a survival kit in your car stocked with nonperishable food, blankets, water, batteries, matches, flashlights and anything else you think you may need should you get stuck somewhere. If you think I'm joking...During one blizzard people got stuck outside on the way to the airport and couldn't get out. I think some people actually passed away waiting for help and the airport isn't even that far out of the city.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 AM

271 posts, read 1,072,273 times
I used to live in east Texas, and then moved up to Colorado Springs, (60 miles south of Denver). It was weird at first having snow, but you get used to it. But you do get used to it. You just have to put up with a couple of days of really cold weather, like 20's or so, but then 2 or 3 days later you are back in the 50 or 60's and I know that is not high for Texas, but after the snow it is very welcome. It is really cool to go skiing and all you need is a windbreaker, snow pants and a t-shirt. And the winter does not last forever, you get to go out in the VERY nice summer weather also. Bike rides and run. So sweet. But alas poor York, I find myself about to move back to Texas, El Paso to be a little more exact, so as I may attend UTEP and try to transfer into UT Austin. Hope this helps you some.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:44 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
I grew up in Northeast Texas where we got some snow in winter. I remember playing in it for the few days it stuck around, and I remember the skies remaining sunny and bright. But I don't think I tolerate cold well now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/6315874-post8.html

Old 12-06-2008, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 10,988 times
I am a native Texan lived all over except East Texas. Let me tell you I moved from the Coast about 140 miles from Houston to Fort Worth and I am freezing here. Can't stand the Cold ready to move south again. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas