Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy394 View Post
Im moving to TX soon and was wondering how is the cop situation between del rio and san antonio? I know the speed limit is 75, but was wondering how patroled is it? Can I go 90 the whole way or what?
Why on earth would you want to drive 90 mph anywhere? You risk killing yourself or some other innocent person if you wreck. I can't think of any good reason why someone would want to drive that fast... Can you enlighten me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
The OP had me for a moment. I was trying to figure out when they changed not the speed limit but the location of I 90. Interstate 90 runs east and west through South Dakota. State highway 90 runs between Del Rio and San Antonio. But either way, are the minutes you will save by speeding worth paying for with a possible accident? All things relative, consider what your time is worth. Be safe.

US Highway 90 is very old. It runs from Van Horn, Texas all the way to Jacksonville, Florida. Interstate 10 (runs from Santa Monica, CA to Jacksonville, FL) pretty much made US Hwy 90 a road from the past. Here is a cool website that has postcard pictures of the highway and places along the way for each state it traverses:

U.S. Hwy. 90 - The Southern Route 66

(click on the numbers to see the pictures)

Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Took a drive today on Hwy 90 from San Antonio to Uvalde and back. Didn't see any DPS troops on the way there, but saw four on the way back (2 heading west in Uvalde, 1 giving a ticket after Hondo and another on the east side of Hondo investigating something). Hmmm, what was I saying about them staying near cities???

BTW: Unleaded gas at HEB in Uvalde was $1.48/Gal.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 14,426 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks I should keep it within 10 mph of the posted limit around the towns and not too much more outside of them, except between Uvalde and Del Rio where it seems its a bit more deserted.

TexasGirl: I like driving fast, I think its fun, its not like I go 90 speeding around traffic only when its wide open.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
I did 90 in West TX on I-10 and the DPS left me alone. The speed limit is 80.

The rush hours between Houston and Beaumont (Port Arthur) regularly has clusters of vehicles sustaining 80-90 mph. You put yourself in a more dangerous situation not going with the flow of traffic.

In LA, San Diego and San Francisco, the left lane can easily go 100 when traffic is light or medium. Now that's a trip!!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
Will be doing this trip soon.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Why on earth would you want to drive 90 mph anywhere? You risk killing yourself or some other innocent person if you wreck. I can't think of any good reason why someone would want to drive that fast... Can you enlighten me?
You risk killing yourself or some other innocent person when you text and drive, talking on the phone or changing around music. The head-on collision is the real death.

Are we going to stay at 75 mph for the rest of our future when our cars continuing to keep getting better and faster. I don't think so. Most interstate out of nowhere or in less populated area can easily take 90 nowadays. 70 has been around for too long.

I-49 from Lafayette to Shreveport is 75 mph and it feels like crawling out of nowhere. Everybody was doing 85 or 90 and it feels safe in these newer cars. There is absolutely nothing there.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
As long as the speed limit is 75, if you choose to go 90, just figure that you're asking for a ticket and accept it nicely when you get one. And if you do happen to kill some people, plead guilty to negligent homicide.

Saying "oh, but all these other things are dangerous" doesn't take the onus off you for responsibility for the predictable consequences of your own actions.

Want to speed? Be my guest; most folks (including me) do to one extent or another at one time or another.

Just don't pretend that you're not doing anything wrong when you do so. It's the adult thing to do.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As long as the speed limit is 75, if you choose to go 90, just figure that you're asking for a ticket and accept it nicely when you get one. And if you do happen to kill some people, plead guilty to negligent homicide.

Saying "oh, but all these other things are dangerous" doesn't take the onus off you for responsibility for the predictable consequences of your own actions.

Want to speed? Be my guest; most folks (including me) do to one extent or another at one time or another.

Just don't pretend that you're not doing anything wrong when you do so. It's the adult thing to do.
Haha. Wow, you cannot ever stop arguing about speed limit. It is like a hobbit to you when something about speed limit that you disagree about. It is going in a circle with you. I'm done with you. I'm sure you remember me about arguing with "notmeofficer" and you can never respond to my posts. It's funny actually.

I only got one ticket in my life so I don't know what you're trying to say. That only ticket was so wrong. The cop was a corrupt one. Do I need to go any further? It wasn't about speeding anyway.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Hobby*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas