Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
It's a difference of opinion. I say he lived in Texas, but was not "from" Texas. He wasn't born here, and he didn't spend a significant portion of his formative years here--he was in CT. Even when he did live here, he did not get a typical Texan upbringing--regular down home folk in Texas don't send their kids to Kinkaid.

However, I do think Bush has contributed to the Texas and Texan bashing of late because he portrays himself as a Texan.
He moved to Texas when he was just two years old and didn't leave Texas until he went to Phillips Academy. Those were not his formative years? Of course and as we all know, he came back to Texas too. One does not have to be born in the state to be a Texan.

Not even all native Texans are "regular down-home folk." I know a few who sent their children to boarding school for one reason or another. Why does Texas even house Kinkaid then if Texans shouldn't attend?

If all the people in this state had to what you refer as a typical Texas upbringing, I would be a little nervous to see what shape the state might be in because of it. That's not a dig, but just think about it. Actually, there is enough of it already here.

He portrays himself as what he is, a country boy who went to fancy places for education. We have one little girl in our rural high school who is going to Harvard. Because of that, is she not a Texan? I don't think so.

You're right though, we do differ on our opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
It's very affected. He lived in my neighborhood pre-94 (albeit in a much swankier part) and most people said it got thicker as he got deeper into his presidential campaign.

He sounds like someone who speaks with his mouth half closed. He doesn't really have the "twangy" accent that would reflect on someone raised in Midland. He really sounds like a transplant's kid who is trying too hard. I don't doubt some of it is genuine, but he doesn't even say "y'all" publically, which makes it entirely suspect.
Either do many on the news media because they learned to speak properly. I'm not saying y'all is not fine...it's kind of cute...but it doesn't sound very bright if you're someone in the public eye. Either does "fixin' to." For the record, either does "idear" or "youse" coming from a New Yorker. It's not just the south that uses incorrect terminology.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
*bitter tears taste so sweet*

Funny how Republicans were/are the only ones calling Obama the Messiah.

Louis Farrakhan, the head of the Nation of Islam, was the first to use the term Messiah, when discussing Obama's presidential bid for the White House.

Since then, I've heard dyed in the wool far left Democrats using the term in much the same way as Farrakhan has.

Far right of the GOP usually makes this reference out of sarcasm and for good reason, in that there really isn't such a thing as "Messiah" when it comes to American politics.

Just sayin' ...

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Nope.

I only hear the Messiah from right-wing blogs and Fox News. Not once have I ever heard it used on the left, except out of a joking manner after the right had said it. Have not heard it on CNN/MSNBC/ABC either.

Just sayin'...

Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 PM

15 posts, read 31,824 times
"Very very sad and unfortunate story. But it goes to show that other places aren't as cohesive as you may believe."

You forgot to mention the, also, very sad story of the Houston Firefighters Racist/Sexist hate crime in the news: www.fdnntv.com/Alleged_Hate_Crimes_Houston_Fire_Department

By the way Lone Ranger: Oklahoma has a very large non-white population of: American Indians. They live all over the state in the larger cities as well as the small ones like Tallequah. Oklahoma is where the Trail of Tears ended, so many Cherokee stayed.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliba View Post
"Very very sad and unfortunate story. But it goes to show that other places aren't as cohesive as you may believe."

You forgot to mention the, also, very sad story of the Houston Firefighters Racist/Sexist hate crime in the news: www.fdnntv.com/Alleged_Hate_Crimes_Houston_Fire_Department

By the way Lone Ranger: Oklahoma has a very large non-white population of: American Indians. They live all over the state in the larger cities as well as the small ones like Tallequah. Oklahoma is where the Trail of Tears ended, so many Cherokee stayed.
Oklahoma is only 8% American Indian, a large part of whom are largely of Caucasian ancestry. There aren't very many full American Indians left--I am a member of the Cherokee Nation and there are lots of mostly white members. You only need a single documented ancestor on the Dawes Rolls to join the tribe--at this point you could be 1/64 Cherokee or less and still be eligible.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 AM

There is also a large part who are African American and Cherokee. You are probably aware then, that there has been infighting among the Black Indians who walked the trail also, and the pure breds concening joining the tribe using the Dawes. I think it's more of a money issue, but I just wanted to celebrate all of who I am. So Kudos to you for joining the tribe.

I wasn't aware that most Native Americans are "mostly white" Lone Ranger (interesting name for someone with Native American ancestry:-). My fiance who is full blood Apache and very much an activist, is in disagreement with you about that, but I'll leave that to him if he wants to reply.
I have a paternal great grand mother who was half Indian (Cherokee)/ half Irish, and a maternal full blood great grandfather. So I have always been interested in that part of me. A few years ago I found a Native American guy that I suspect is related, we had the same (not very common), last name. I generally go to some of the sweats and other Indian activities in Nebraska (Sioux), as well as some in Oklahoma. Very rich in culture, but I guess you already know that.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Nope.

I only hear the Messiah from right-wing blogs and Fox News. Not once have I ever heard it used on the left, except out of a joking manner after the right had said it. Have not heard it on CNN/MSNBC/ABC either.

Just sayin'...
That's because you're either twisting it around or you're not as good a listener as you think you are.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Angel713
Nope.

"I only hear the Messiah from right-wing blogs and Fox News. Not once have I ever heard it used on the left, except out of a joking manner after the right had said it. Have not heard it on CNN/MSNBC/ABC either.

Just sayin'..."

I agree with you Angel713.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
I also agree with Angel713. I've never heard it used by the left, and I highly doubt it ever would be, unless in a mocking of the right-wing sense... the left would never use such conservative Christian terminology. It would be considered poor form by their peers.

Also, Farrakhan is not part of the left. His (and the Nation of Islam's) ideology is decidedly right-wing. So if that's where it started, then it did technically come "from the right".

But that's a topic for another forum!

Now what did this have to do with Houston, anyway? Oh yeah, it was someone bashing Houston as inferior to Chicago some way. Like the thread title. There, back on topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas