Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
That's because you're either twisting it around or you're not as good a listener as you think you are.
Oh I am? Show me some examples then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times
I really don't know why people are always bashing Texas. They have been watching too much "King Of The Hill", which is definitely way off about how men and women in Texas are really like. Yeah, sure, we have our share of bad apples, but what state doesn't? Why do you think all states, cities, and counties have prisons and jails? Okay, there you go, we're not perfect either. But we do have a majority of nice, friendly people. If you need help on something, then we don't mind helping you out. You show us respect and you'll get a lot of respect back from us too.

I don't live in Texas now, but I did grew up in Texas (born and raised, til I was 18 when I graduated high school and went into the Army). My life was great there (not much I can say about here in Arizona, which sucks and everybody is self-centered and mean to everyone).

So, stop watching stupid T.V. shows and movies, that portray Texas in a bad light, and go visit it yourself. Be sure to be nice and be respectful. If not, then expect to be kicked down the road.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I really don't know why people are always bashing Texas. They have been watching too much "King Of The Hill", which is definitely way off about how men and women in Texas are really like. Yeah, sure, we have our share of bad apples, but what state doesn't? Why do you think all states, cities, and counties have prisons and jails? Okay, there you go, we're not perfect either. But we do have a majority of nice, friendly people. If you need help on something, then we don't mind helping you out. You show us respect and you'll get a lot of respect back from us too.

I don't live in Texas now, but I did grew up in Texas (born and raised, til I was 18 when I graduated high school and went into the Army). My life was great there (not much I can say about here in Arizona, which sucks and everybody is self-centered and mean to everyone).

So, stop watching stupid T.V. shows and movies, that portray Texas in a bad light, and go visit it yourself. Be sure to be nice and be respectful. If not, then expect to be kicked down the road.
"""According to the episode "Yankee Hankee," Hank believed he was born in Texas to Tillie Mae Hill and Cotton Lyndal Hill but finds (to his disgust) that he was actually born in New York City."""

Hank Hill is a yankee....

Hank Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Thats not true at all. There are pockets of African Americans, Asians, and Mexicans all throughout San Francisco. San Fran is extremely diverse. In fact, I was there not too long ago (would say recent, but it was not that recent) in what looking like an african american neighborhood, which also seemed to have a number of Hispanics and whites living there as well. According to City data, 7% of the city is African american, and 14 percent of the city is Hispanic, and 10+% is asian.

Also, as I mentioned, I was never saying Texas was not diverse. Ive been saying it is extremely diverse in every post now. What I am referring to is cohesiveness.

About the muscle fibers, I have never seen any serious medical data indicating this, even from the 70s or 80s, though it may exist. Are you sure you are not assuming that it was everywhere in the country because it was popular in Texas, alluding to what I mentioned we Texans (or people from any large state) often do when comparing our state to others?

It seemed to me as simple racial and ethnic stereotypes, the same as so many others, that people with closed minds choose to believe to make others more alien/menacing.

You may be right about other places having such abundant ideals...I only grew up in Texas so I can only say it was there for sure. Then again, I remember in college mentioning this to a few folks who attended school in a north western state, and I received quick and stringent rebuking (even though I was aware those claims were not true). This is a state with comparably few hispanics and blacks, and even they had never heard of such nonsense being professed.

Racial conflict happens in most states unfortunately. Texas as well. But again, something like that would be an 'exception' (I have never heard of 'common place' or 'ongoing' 'racial/interethnic wars'). I was referring to overall community cohesiveness...how well people of different backgrounds overall get along in neighborhoods, at work, in their communities, at schools etc. In my experience and most others, Texas is behind on this.

I was just looking around a few other pages, and it seems I am not alone in this frame of thought. Many other posters with experience in TX have made the same observations.
"There are pockets of African Americans, Asians, and Mexicans all throughout San Francisco. San Fran is extremely diverse."

It if is so diverse, why are they divided off in to "pockets"? Does segregation ring a bell to you?

I guess you are saying San Francisco is segregated!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"There are pockets of African Americans, Asians, and Mexicans all throughout San Francisco. San Fran is extremely diverse."

It if is so diverse, why are they divided off in to "pockets"? Does segregation ring a bell to you?

Not to mention the fact that for a city a black population of just 7% is really underwhelming. AUSTIN has a higher percentage of black people than that, for crying out loud.

The large majority of the Bay Area's black population is priced out of San Francisco or feels unwelcome there because of its relative lack of diversity and lives across the bridge in Oakland.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

?? Where do you see me saying the cities arent diverse, first of all?

Second of all, multiple small pockets of different minorities in CA and NY is MUCH better than the the singular _____'s live shop and work in x side of town and _____'s do so in x2 side of town and neither side has any interaction thereof. Im wondering are you actually reading the post are just searching for one-liners to casually argue.

You arent talking to some West coaster who visited Texas for a summer. I grew up there, and my family has lived there since well before the civil war...some parts even back to the Mexican Revolution (Independence 1820's) and most likely before that.

Go to the bay area, then come back to Houston or Dallas or San Antonio or Waco or Corpus, and I dare you to even try to tell me CA's segregation is anywhere near on par with Texas's. Look around for middle class mixed racial neighborhoods in San Fran or even Oakland or San jose. You wont find it massively common, but you will find it without looking hard. Then come back and try finding any in Outer Houston or the San Antonio suburbs. Good luck if you see a brown or black face not cleaning or working some service job.

Im sorry, its not me ragging on Texas. Its not even me speaking from my own experience, or even speaking from others stereotypes. Its just the way it is in Texas.

Last edited by tindo80; 07-19-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:

Second of all, multiple small pockets of different minorities in CA and NY is MUCH better than the the singular _____'s live shop and work in x side of town and _____'s do so in x2 side of town and neither side has any interaction thereof. Im wondering are you actually reading the post are just searching for one-liners to casually argue.

You arent talking to some West coaster who visited Texas for a summer. I grew up there, and my family has lived there since well before the civil war...some parts even back to the Mexican Revolution (Independence 1820's) and most likely before that.

Go to the bay area, then come back to Houston or Dallas or San Antonio or Waco or Corpus, and I dare you to even try to tell me CA's segregation is anywhere near on par with Texas's. Look around for middle class mixed racial neighborhoods in San Fran or even Oakland or San jose. You wont find it massively common, but you will find it without looking hard. Then come back and try finding any in Outer Houston or the San Antonio suburbs. Good luck if you see a brown or black face not cleaning or working some service job.

Im sorry, its not me ragging on Texas. Its not even me speaking from my own experience, or even speaking from others stereotypes. Its just the way it is in Texas.
How about you ask people who are from CA and been/lived in Texas, which state is more segregated and see what answer you get. You just shooting out the mouth, but wrong about everything your saying. Your comparing Texas to states where there is still a strong animosity between Blacks and Hispanics. It's areas in LA where BLACKS can't even cross the street or they will be SHOT by Mexicans, and vice versa.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Quote:

I've lived in California and currently live in Houston. "It's just the way it is in Texas" when certain people have that perspective.

It's more complicated than that.

You won't find it hard to find mixed neighborhoods in Houston. I guess you really don't know the place: Sharpstown, Alief, West Oaks, Memorial City area, Greenspoint...to name just a few.

Houston definitely has a more mixed feel than San Diego, L.A. or San Fran. Houston has been named a "best city for blacks" by Black Enterprise magazine, and was one of only four cities (Houston, not San Fran among them) to be named by Latina Magazine on the cover as "cities we call home."

For such a dense city, San Fran doesn't seem to have that all around "soul feel" or sense of Latino fiesta like Houston except in its pockets or out of the limits. And the Asian aspect of Houston is GAINING RAPIDLY.

L.A. is the same. Quintessentially whitebread party districts...at least in Houston, there is a balanced mixing of white, black and Latino in a relatively live entertainment area like downtown.

San Diego. Don't make me laugh.

Last edited by worldlyman; 07-20-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
This thread has meandered far afield of the original topic into areas that are off-topic for a state forum. Here's a reminder of the original post. The thread needs to stick to the original topic or it will be closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Why does it seem so many people here on CD are always bashing Texas and Texas cities, particularly Houston.
I mean these threads on here are sometimes downright ridiculous. I am sometimes guilty of partaking in them so I have no room to talk, but why is it when Texas is mentioned, its as if pandoras box has been opened?

In all reality no state or city is any better than the other...

The only state I have seen people from, NOT bash Texas or Houston are those from New York, but I'm sure I have missed a few here and there.
Californians always find something wrong with us, yet they are flocking here in droves. Californians are always spouting off how conservative and backwards Texas and Texans are, yet they just passed a referendum taking away peoples civil rights. Texas has yet to do that.
Chicagoans seem to have a deep hatred of Houston for some unknown reason. Why? Is it because Houston may/will surpass them as the 3rd largest city? Is it because Houston is the "Energy Capital of The USA"? Headquarters to NASA?
Some of you will spout off that Texas is home to George W? In some of your opinions the worst POTUS ever. OK fair enough, but what state just had their Governor arrested?? Nope NOT Texas! Oh yeah that would be Illinois!

So in all honesty why do so many of you bash Texas and Houston when your oh so called "paradises" are far from perfect.
I am not trying to troll, I just honestly want to know why does it seem that Texas and Houston gets more than of its share of hatefilled bashing? Is it just in reality, JEALOUSY?

Last edited by Bo; 07-26-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Getting back to the original topic of the thread (which was partially tied into the secondary topic), I think people Bash Texas because:

1. Its stereotype of being filled with racist, unintelligent, overbearing aggressive rural people or rural people wannabes. That of course is not Generally the case, but its the response I have run into whenever I tell people I am from texas. Its usually followed by a "you dont sound like a texan" and "wow, how bad was it for you down there" (in reference to my ethnicity) or the ever popular sarcastic "thanks for bush" (to which I remind them he was born in Connecticut, not Texas).

2. While those stereotypes are not true, to some extent, things the state is known for, my mention of lack of cohesiveness among its ethnicities being one thing, the states ranking in reading and mathematics is in the bottom 5 states in the nation, and unfortunately lets all face the truth (as shown by comments on this very thread), Texans have attitude. Not always "Im better/tougher/cooler than you", but definitely attitude. Plenty of other states have it as well, by as a Texan myself I can vouch, we dont give off that image just at home to outsiders in Texas, but also when we are in other states.

Last edited by tindo80; 07-20-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas