Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:49 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
LOL. That's cute. Yeah, my sister is not one who can be with books. She's struggled too. Congrats to both your children for being successful and for having a wonderful mom to raise them!
You're very kind; thank you. I admire so my children as they truly are wonderful adults. I forgot to add that my son worked in his junior and senior years of high school as well. It surely doesn't hurt a child to learn responsibility early and not having all given to them on a silver platter, per se.

I wish you the best in your endeavors. If you want college, it will be yours. You may just have to work a little harder and make up for lost knowledge, but that's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 04:50 PM

709 posts, read 1,497,856 times
There is no such thing as a good "public school". If you want your children to be successful, at least try to look into private schools or better yet homeschooling. (The latter does not necessarily mean that you have to be a brilliant teacher yourself, there are tremendous and ever-growing online resources of homeschoolers: lesson plans, multimedia lectures, textbooks, tests, clubs, etc.)

Old 12-27-2008, 05:11 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
There is no such thing as a good "public school". If you want your children to be successful, at least try to look into private schools or better yet homeschooling. (The latter does not necessarily mean that you have to be a brilliant teacher yourself, there are tremendous and ever-growing online resources of homeschoolers: lesson plans, multimedia lectures, textbooks, tests, clubs, etc.)
I can't agree with that. I work for a school district and there are many really good teachers mixed with the not so good, I'm here for a paycheck kind. I would say the majority on my campus are good to excellent.

Some people can't afford private schools, so that isn't always an option. Are we even sure they're so much better? Some of the kids in private schools have been taken out of the public schools because of good reason i.e., severe discipline problems. That's what I've heard anyway. I'm sure not all of the teachers always live up to the expectations of a great teacher either.

Homeschooling just doesn't appeal to me, so I won't expand on that.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 PM

78 posts, read 203,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think you are the exception when it comes to experience with Texas public schools. I know several freshman in college who graduated from Lubbock area schools, and they said that they were perfectly prepared for college. One of these students who went to UPenn (one of the top schools in the country) said that the admissions board was eager to accept applicants who did well in Texas schools because of the high standards. I'm not saying Texas schools don't need improvement, but you're blowing it way out of proportion. You are generalizing an entire state's education system based on yours and a few peoples' experiences.

Yeah, you probably are right. That's nice to hear that others out of state are eager to accept applicants from Texas. Now that's a compliment. Thanks for your input and experience!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM

78 posts, read 203,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post

I feel that homeschooling deprives a child the social skills that they learn and develop when attending a public or private school. Don't you think?

Old 12-27-2008, 11:26 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Sounds to me like an opportunity to take control of your own destiny. Remember this condition after school, in the work force. You will encounter these not so educated, every day and will need to deal with them accordingly.

Your opportunity to appreciate those taxes your parents have been paying on your behalf.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
Quote:
I know for a fact (from experience; K-12) that the Texas public schools do not prepare you for anything. I think my teachers baby-sat us rather than teaching us and assigning homework. I left high school and arrived at Texas State University with my jaw dropped realizing that I did not learn jack---- during my high school years. I know I'm not the only one because other professors were discussing how students come in expecting to be spoon-fed. Now that is sad. I even had classmates talk down to a foreign professor about why he wouldn't give a study guide or the answer to the final exam. I was amazed when I heard my classmates.

Well, all comments and perspectives are welcome here. Would like to see if this is the case through out the state of Texas. (Let's provide facts of our own experiences or what our children may be going through)

Thanks!

Changing lives one at a time.
Most kids from most public schools in *any* state will have that jaw-dropping moment when they get to college and realize that they can't BS their way through the way they did in high school. I was in all honors and AP classes in high school, got killer SAT and ACT scores, and still had a huge adjustment period when I got to college. What?!?!? You mean I actually have to study?!?!?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
They teach TAKS when I was in school it was TAAS; to this day Im not using any of those skills to work and thats why the school system sucks in TX and always will as long as Rick is in.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
I feel that homeschooling deprives a child the social skills that they learn and develop when attending a public or private school. Don't you think?
Not really, not the way homeschooling is done these days. There are groups of homeschoolers; the children have activities together (even sports!), they will all have a class together if one homeschooling parent is particularly good at one topic or there are, these days, classes and activities especially designed for homeschoolers. There are also the sports leagues (soccer, baseball, etc.) that kids from all different schools and homeschoolers participate in together.

They don't for the most part just sit inside the house studying - they get out and interact with other kids all the time. They just tend to have more interaction with people of varying ages than kids in school.

We didn't homeschool, but considered it, and know quite a few people who have homeschooled (including my sister who was a teacher for 30 years and both of my nieces who are teachers). Their kids were just as socialized (or not, and sometimes more) as the kids who attend regular public or private schools.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not really, not the way homeschooling is done these days. There are groups of homeschoolers; the children have activities together (even sports!), they will all have a class together if one homeschooling parent is particularly good at one topic or there are, these days, classes and activities especially designed for homeschoolers. There are also the sports leagues (soccer, baseball, etc.) that kids from all different schools and homeschoolers participate in together.

They don't for the most part just sit inside the house studying - they get out and interact with other kids all the time. They just tend to have more interaction with people of varying ages than kids in school.

We didn't homeschool, but considered it, and know quite a few people who have homeschooled (including my sister who was a teacher for 30 years and both of my nieces who are teachers). Their kids were just as socialized (or not, and sometimes more) as the kids who attend regular public or private schools.
And often homeschooling students are more mature and better behaved, since they model behavior based on people in the real world and how they interact, not just other children stuck in an artificial environment all day.

I don't homeschool, but if I could, I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas