Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times

Advertisements

ugh. Sugarland looks so overdeveloped..like a fake Stepford Wives town. nothing authentic or original about it. YUCK. has ZERO character
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 10:29 AM

18 posts, read 91,932 times
Thumbs down Lufkin is a cesspool

I have to be honest. I have lived here for ony a year and the reason I am on citydata is to check out other towns because I want out of Lufkin. My dad grew up in the area out near Zavalla and I visited my grandparents here as a kid often enough to want to come here. Now after living here with my own family for a year I can't wait to leave.
The people here so fit the stereotype of the ignorant redneck hick that you would think Jeff Foxworthy got all of his material in Lufkin. These women here think a gathered, three tiered, cammo print skirt is a fashion statement.
The people here a so behind the times when it comes to computers that most do not have them. Few businesses here have websites. The people here are under-educated. Many are poor. Too much of the housing is little more than a shack with plumbing, or a rusted singlewide. The better newer housing is overpriced for the area and the incomes that can be earned here.
Employment is a joke. Jobs are only easy to find if you are a practicing Baptist. The pay is low, benefits are so bad they are an insult. Employers in this state will violate any and all labor laws they can get away with. The cost of living is only a very small fraction less than it was in our hometown in north-central California.
These ignorant morons smoke like they have never even heard of the surgeon general, so the air is putrid and the ground littered with cigarett butts. The food is mostly deep fried and coated in batter. Fresh vegetables and fruits are poor quality, half rotten and over priced. Forget decent Chinese food.
Crime is a serious issue here. There is way too much violent crime, much higher than where I came here from. I have heard of more murders, sexual assults, pedophilia, robbery, violence and rage here in one year than I ever did in my home town. The sex offenders registery is frightening to look at. The black population is huge and while there are many who know how to behave like decent human beings far too many of them just need to be locked up and the key thrown into the earth's core.
I can't wait to get out of hicksville.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times
I have lived in Fort Worth all of my life and I love it. Fort Worth is a growing city with an intense community feeling. I can assure you that you will not find a friendlier major city in the US. The downtown area is remarkably well-kept and flourishing, the museums and theaters are world-class, but it also has strong roots in its old west past. The Stockyards are something you have to experience. If you want to live in the country and you are willing to drive to work, just move west of Fort Worth. Aledo, Willow Park, Weatherford, Brock, Peaster...those are just a few of the numerous farming communities within 40 minutes of the convenience of Fort Worth. I know I speak for other citizens here when I say we'd be happy to have you! [[url]www.fortworth.com][/url] Also, the median house price is something like 250K.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating to Texas......best place?-fortworth.jpg  

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
Cant agree more-love Ft Worth-thats the area I have spent most of my life in.
Median house price that high? Sheesh, for what kind of house????
I bought a 3br 2ba doublewide trailer with fireplace, swimming pool, kitchen w/island, huge barn w/stalls and tack room, on over 3 acres for 60K (35-45 min drive west of Ft Worth). And I dont recall non-trailers costing anywhere near that much when I was house hunting. It wasnt that long ago (2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacky52 View Post
I have lived in Fort Worth all of my life and I love it. Fort Worth is a growing city with an intense community feeling. I can assure you that you will not find a friendlier major city in the US. The downtown area is remarkably well-kept and flourishing, the museums and theaters are world-class, but it also has strong roots in its old west past. The Stockyards are something you have to experience. If you want to live in the country and you are willing to drive to work, just move west of Fort Worth. Aledo, Willow Park, Weatherford, Brock, Peaster...those are just a few of the numerous farming communities within 40 minutes of the convenience of Fort Worth. I know I speak for other citizens here when I say we'd be happy to have you! [www.fortworth.com] Also, the median house price is something like 250K.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,895 times
hi everyone! im from jersey and im looking to move to texas... not really sure where there are better jobs and more opportunties for me!!! what are the differences between dallas austin and houston???

Old 11-05-2010, 09:44 AM

149 posts, read 357,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygl View Post
hi everyone! im from jersey and im looking to move to texas... not really sure where there are better jobs and more opportunties for me!!! what are the differences between dallas austin and houston???
Dallas and Houston are basically generic megalopolies, while a lot of people (millions) will argue with me, they don't seem any different than Chicago or LA or San Francisco in terms of culture. Sure SF has the wharf but Dallas has a unique characterics that don't necessarily remind me of a distinct Texas quality. Both Dallas and Houston are still pretty good places to make a good living.

Austin is becoming a new destination for Californians escaping high taxes and crime (I guess??). It is growing at a fast pace but it seems to have a little more Texas flair than the other cities on your list. You should visit each city (I find myself offering this advice more and more) before deciding on one weighing the pro's and con's of each.

I've been pretty-much a Lubbockite my whole life and an eighth generation Texan. The big cities just aren't for me although I'm thinking seriously of relocating out-of-state for family to a city larger than Lubbock.

Enjoy!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM

33 posts, read 85,155 times
look at this!!

Where are the Best Cities for Job Growth? | Newgeography.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Two words, Midland/Odessa.

This area has been singled out as Texas' next boomtown. New homes are in big demand and existing home prices are rapidly increasing. Here is a quote from a national real estate magazine, sorry I can't post the link.

The next real estate boomtowns: Where are they?

Some housing markets are on the upswing

Thursday, July 06, 2006

By Glenn Roberts Jr.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
I agree...Lufkin is a cesspool! The water smells like sewage, and is slimy! Healthcare is frightening, and many of the residents dare to be pretentious. Then let us not forget about the pedophiles and spouses....i.e. Cramer...

Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM

114 posts, read 200,690 times
Just move to any city in the Dallas Fort Worth Metro there is many cities to chose from and so far Dallas is leading in Business in texas, we have Fort Worth Arlington Grand Prarie Denton Irving McKinney Frisco Plano NorthRichland Hills Garland Paris LakeDallas LakeWorth, Addison Allen, and many more the ones I named are all good and they are really good in business (Just so ya know Dallas and Fort Worth are two major cities Dallas ranked 9 Fort Worth ranked 16 and Arlington ranked 50 an they are all close to eachother, and DFW is also a city with major sports art culture music live downtowns and evrything

And Dallas has the most media in Texas

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-21-2012 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: merged two consecutive posts by same OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas