Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,860 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how the economy is holding up in the Waco area? Are we starting to see job losses and is the real estate market slowing as well?

Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM

109 posts, read 410,045 times
Hello Bill,
Do you live in the Waco area? Our family is considering moving into the Waco area and I was hoping someone would answer your questions. It's been days now and no replies......Anyone out there in Waco?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I don't live in Waco, but I've been through there quite a bit lately. Looks like it must be doing alright considering the building that is going on. My husbands job is headquartered out of Temple. Not quite as far up as waco, but almost and if he got hired there then I can't imagine it'd be too hard to find something. As a comparison for you...we live closer to Austin and he couldn't find anything in Austin, he found it heading towards Waco instead.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
I'm not originally from this area. My wife's job brought us here from the Seattle area about 5 years ago. So I do know it but still have some perspective as an outsider.

The economy seems to be doing relatively fine, especially considering the national situation. Lots of commercial and industrial development is still occurring in the southern suburbs, especially the area south and west of the I-35/Highway 6 interchange where there is a big new hospital going and a large shopping area that is expanding. There is a big new Caterpillar plant under construction and lots of other misc. commercial and industrial development happening.

Downtown Waco seems to have turned a corner. Developers are putting in new urban-style mixed residential & retail loft complexes. And many of the older buildings are under renovation. But it still has quite a way to go.

That said, Waco also has serious social problems. There are large swaths of the city, especially to the east and north that are poverty and crime ridden. And parts of Waco are as grim and blighted as any place you'll find in Texas.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I'm not originally from this area. My wife's job brought us here from the Seattle area about 5 years ago. So I do know it but still have some perspective as an outsider.

The economy seems to be doing relatively fine, especially considering the national situation. Lots of commercial and industrial development is still occurring in the southern suburbs, especially the area south and west of the I-35/Highway 6 interchange where there is a big new hospital going and a large shopping area that is expanding. There is a big new Caterpillar plant under construction and lots of other misc. commercial and industrial development happening.

Downtown Waco seems to have turned a corner. Developers are putting in new urban-style mixed residential & retail loft complexes. And many of the older buildings are under renovation. But it still has quite a way to go.

That said, Waco also has serious social problems. There are large swaths of the city, especially to the east and north that are poverty and crime ridden. And parts of Waco are as grim and blighted as any place you'll find in Texas.
I'm guessing your speaking of East Waco and South Waco??? The East side is going through a beautification process right now where the community are going out fixing up old run down houses, planting gardens and trees,etc. A new fire department is being built on Elm Street (Elm Street has serious potential to become something along the lines of 6th Street). Waco is just beginning to bring in a lot of businesses like Sanderson's Farm or L3 Communications.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Waco as a whole is looking better than it did 15 years ago, but it still needs lots and lots of work, especially Elm Avenue (which does have potential, but will NEVER be like 6th Street in Austin). The other areas texasdiver might be referring to are probably the numerous government tenement ghettos that dot the city. Kate Ross Apts, and Parkside Village are two of the most crime ridden areas of town, if not the state, and should be bulldozed and rebuilt into NEW mixed use developments like Heritage Square and Austin Avenue Flats. Another location that has HUGE potential and I think jluke65780 will agree, is the vacant spot at MLK Blvd @ East Waco Drive.......the view of downtown Waco from there is SPECTACULAR!!!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Waco as a whole is looking better than it did 15 years ago, but it still needs lots and lots of work, especially Elm Avenue (which does have potential, but will NEVER be like 6th Street in Austin). The other areas texasdiver might be referring to are probably the numerous government tenement ghettos that dot the city. Kate Ross Apts, and Parkside Village are two of the most crime ridden areas of town, if not the state, and should be bulldozed and rebuilt into NEW mixed use developments like Heritage Square and Austin Avenue Flats. Another location that has HUGE potential and I think jluke65780 will agree, is the vacant spot at MLK Blvd @ East Waco Drive.......the view of downtown Waco from there is SPECTACULAR!!!!!
Well not necessarily 6th street, but only about 5 years ago. That was the only street probably in the whole city of Waco where you actually saw lots of people walking at night club hopping. It was tons of people outside hanging out and clubbing until the city got strict and forced people to leave the area. Now the clubs are all spread out all over the city.

I do agree with you about MLK BlVD, very beautiful view of downtown, especially with the Brazos running right through the city. It is even nicer on July 4th with all the people lining the river and watching the fireworks over downtown. What are they building next to the park by Bledsoe Miller?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM

109 posts, read 410,045 times
Hey Guys,
I'm not the OP'er but thanks for all the information! I'm getting excited about our visit to Waco (next week), to look into a business proposition. Can anyone tell me how the area south of Waco is doing? If you Google Earth the area directly south of Hwy 6, in between N Old Temple Rd and Hwy 35 (it's a large pie shape of raw land) there doesn't seen to be any growth going on, until you cross over Sun Valley Blvd in Hewitt.
Is Hewitt growing and does anyone know how to figure out if this land has been sold for development?

Latitude- 31°28'34.41"N
Longitude-97°11'8.70"W
I can see a few houses being developed but I don't know how old the Google Earth pictures are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDDS View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm not the OP'er but thanks for all the information! I'm getting excited about our visit to Waco (next week), to look into a business proposition. Can anyone tell me how the area south of Waco is doing? If you Google Earth the area directly south of Hwy 6, in between N Old Temple Rd and Hwy 35 (it's a large pie shape of raw land) there doesn't seen to be any growth going on, until you cross over Sun Valley Blvd in Hewitt.
Is Hewitt growing and does anyone know how to figure out if this land has been sold for development?

Latitude- 31°28'34.41"N
Longitude-97°11'8.70"W
I can see a few houses being developed but I don't know how old the Google Earth pictures are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would guess the Google Earth image is probably close to 4 years old. Three major new developments aren't even on there and one is under construction. The GE image doesn't show the new Hillcrest Hospital, The traffic flyover at Hwy 6/Loop 340 @ IH-35 or the Sandero Springs subdivision, and the Central Texas Marketplace is barely under contruction.

In reality, EVERYTHING I listed is COMPLETE with the exception of Hillcrest which is nearing completion.
You should be pleasantly surprised to see how much development is taking place in that area.
If you dont mind me asking, just what are you hoping to develop here in the area?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
go to the Waco development site for the city of Waco it will give you all you need to know about Waco and links to other projects in McLennan County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas