Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM

35 posts, read 132,725 times

Advertisements

Hi there..this is my first post and I am wondering if anyone out there is in law enforcement. My husband is a officer and we are looking to move from IN to TX. I am a southern girl(to bad I was born and raised in the north)! I don't winter well(even after 29 looong years) I hate wind chill factors! I would like a place that the humidity doesn't kill ya(have asthma) but love the heat! I have 2 kids that are 7 & 2. My daughter is Guatemalan and I would love a school that has more kids that "look like her" compared to the few families that are here in our small little dot on the map town. I would like to live in the "country" or a small town but my hubby wants to work in a "bigger town" or city~right now there are 17 officers in our town of 16000 people. I am able to buy a house in the ball park of 100k-145k. Can anyone suggest a dept. that accepts lateral transfers, has a good retirement/benefits and makes a decent wage. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 PM

269 posts, read 913,636 times
Lateral transfers meaning? What rank is he? Most of them I have worked for (4) in the Dallas area pretty much start any officer out on the street as a patrol officer. If he is a detective or something like that ... he would have to work back up to it. In addition, while he is certified in Indiana he will have to be certified in Texas. He can challenge the Texas test and take it, if he passes he is good to go .. if not he would have to go through training to be certified in Texas. Hope that helps. Not sure what area you want to move to ... so not sure where to suggest you try.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
not sure if lateral transfers are something that is actually done, i mean, how could you continue with retirement benefits, leave time etc, if you are going to a totally different "budget", whether it be a city, county, state.
however, that being said, i would highly recommend looking into Department of Defense police officer positions-great salary, benefits, working conditions. if i were a law enforcement officer, i would rather work on a military post/base than out in the civilian world.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
West Texas is crying for cops. Lubbock has billboards all over the place advertising and I believe the wages there are quite good. Abilene has a shortage of cops, too, and the Taylor Co. jail and sheriff's department were quite short-handed.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
I want to add, in addition to Dept of Defense police officer jobs, some of the best pay/benefits would probably be as a State Trooper, but you have to go to academy in Austin for 6 months, regardless of previous law enforcement experience..i believe.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,265 times
As to lateral transfers, I think you mean you want to transfer your current law enforcement certification to Texas. Information on how to find this is on the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement website:

Home

As to cities who will accept lateral transfers, you can find communities of all sizes seeking patrol officers at the Texas Municipal League site:

Texas Municipal League Career Center

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I think your husband inquired on another forum. basically he will have to obtain a Texas police officers license. It won't be a lateral transfer such as a Texas police officer that already has a license tho. Most Texas cities are covered by the Texas Municipal league retirement system which a Officer can go from one Dept to another in the same retirement system but have two accounts.You will find the best pay and benefits at any of the larger dept and towns near them.Since the commission sets the standards and issues the license; its pretty much the same all over the state. You might find a very small Dept that hires non-licensed officers but I doubt it these days. He would certainly have a advantage with previous experience but not be treated the same as a licensed Texas police officer;who may have from a basic to a advanced certificate to his license. Lateral transfers are more within a state. Even someone moving from out of state as a chief has so long to become licensed. Afteral the Texas penal code and motor vehicle code will be quite different in alot of ways.Good luck

Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 20,539 times
Smile Starting over in life

Hello everyone...this is my first post and I am wondering if anyone out there is in law enforcement in the Dallas, Abilene, FT Worth, etc area. I am sheriff's deputy and military Vet who's looking looking to move from Shreveport LA to TX. I am a southern MAN(thank GOD I was born and raised in the South)! I can do winter well(even after 39 looong years) I am still flexible with the weather! I have 3 kids that are 7 & 1. My daughter is a people person and I would love a school that has more kids that she can relate to. I would like to live in the "out skirts, not the city" or a "bigger town" or city! I am able to buy a house in the ball park of 100k-145k. Can anyone suggest a dept. that accepts lateral transfers, has a good retirement/benefits and makes a decent wage. Thanks so much! You can also reach me on [[EMAIL="benzel_shivers3@yahoo.com"]benzel_shivers3@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]]

Old 11-24-2009, 04:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
As stated most any dept in texas requires that the person have a least a bascic texas police officers license.Most aloso require at least 60 hours college. I would suggest that you contact the dept(s) your interested in for their requirements at their website lisitng.As stated a lateral transfer is for licensed officers from within the state who are licensed with basic;imtermediate;advanced or masters certification.Google the Deto(s) your interested in for their s website and contqact info.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 PM

61 posts, read 142,151 times
Is there a way to get certified from TCLEOSE without living in Texas yet?? ex: Online certification. I am currently a NYPD supervisor planning to move to Texas within 3 years. I would like to be certified by the time I move there if possible.

Any info is appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas