Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

102 posts, read 157,421 times

Advertisements

Hi all...we are ready to move to Texas. My husband worked in Houston for a few months last summer (his company has an office there) and the kids and I went with him. We fell madly in love with Texas. We were thrilled when my husband's company offered him a job down there, but due to illnesses/issues that occurred in our extended family, we decided it was not the time to go. Anyway...we've been back in our stinkin' blue state dreaming of Texas, and have decided it's time to come on down for good. So, I'm seeking your help. While Houston was alot of fun to visit, it's not the place for us to put down roots. We traveled around a bit while down there (San Antonio, Austin, some day trips around Houston), but didn't stay in any one place long enough to determine if it was a good fit for us. We are looking to live in conservative smaller town close to a larger city (for my husband's job) that: is safe/low crime; a place where freedom, family and God still matter; has church-going people who actually talk to their neighbors; has outdoor activities; has homes with lots of land for our kids to run around; has good schools (our older kids are in Catholic school right now, would like to keep it that way, at least until high school); has easy access to good medical care, an airport, shopping, kid's activities, etc.; and if possible, is not in the middle of Tornado Alley (a big fear of mine). Whew...I know this is alot, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible so as to help if you are so kind as to offer a suggestion or two. Also, our kids are 7, 5, 3 and 1 and my husband is in finance at an engineering firm, with experience in the oil and gas industry. Thanks so much! EmmyG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,985,559 times
There are lots of smaller cities that would fit your needs. Since you want to be near a larger city, I guess the thing to do would be to decide on the metro you like best and work from there. Dallas is my favorite Texas metro so I moved to Abilene, but to each his/her own.

I don't know where you're moving from or what kind of climate you want but if you like some semblance of seasons and you're not a big fan of humidity, you'll want to look more at north and west Texas rather than south or east Texas.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyGrace View Post
We are looking to live in conservative smaller town close to a larger city (for my husband's job) that: is safe/low crime; a place where freedom, family and God still matter; has church-going people who actually talk to their neighbors; has outdoor activities; has homes with lots of land for our kids to run around; has good schools (our older kids are in Catholic school right now, would like to keep it that way, at least until high school); has easy access to good medical care, an airport, shopping, kid's activities, etc.; and if possible, is not in the middle of Tornado Alley (a big fear of mine). Whew...I know this is alot, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible so as to help if you are so kind as to offer a suggestion or two. Also, our kids are 7, 5, 3 and 1 and my husband is in finance at an engineering firm, with experience in the oil and gas industry. Thanks so much! EmmyG
Tyler has everything you asked for & more. Its also only a 1 1/2 hour drive (or 20 min. flight via Tyler Pounds Regional) away from Dallas for quick convenience to Texas' largest metropolitan city.

East Texas offers some of the most beautiful & unique scenery in the Lone Star State. Piney woods, roses, & azaleas in the Spring time make Tyler a well known tourist attraction.

If gambling or a taste of Cajun food tickles your fancy then Shreveport/Bossier City, La. is just 1 1/2 hour drive east.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 AM

595 posts, read 2,717,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Tyler has everything you asked for & more. Its also only a 1 1/2 hour drive (or 20 min. flight via Tyler Pounds Regional) away from Dallas for quick convenience to Texas' largest metropolitan city.

East Texas offers some of the most beautiful & unique scenery in the Lone Star State. Piney woods, roses, & azaleas in the Spring time make Tyler a well known tourist attraction.

If gambling or a taste of Cajun food tickles your fancy then Shreveport/Bossier City, La. is just 1 1/2 hour drive east.
I agree....it sounds like Tyler is tailor made for you. If you live in the north end of Smith County you are only 1 hour 5 min. from the eastern suburbs of Dallas. There is a nice Catholic School located in Tyler along with several other top rated private church schools. You can buy a home with one acre or a lot of acres and stay under 200,000.00 easily.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,309,577 times
I'd likewise recommend Tyler. There ARE tornadoes in East Texas (where I grew up), but anywhere north of San Antonio you're likely to find an occasional one. Once you're down here for a while, you'll relax a bit about them, I think. They're talked about (tornado watches, unlike tornado warnings) a whole lot more than they ever actually occur.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

102 posts, read 157,421 times
Default Thank you all

Thank you all for your suggestions. A few questions...I've read on this forum that Dallas is all about big money and keeping up with the joneses. That's not us. I'm not into that kind of competition. Does that attitude extend to Tyler? Also, we're coming from Pennsylvania, and I'm sick, sick, sick of the winters. Humidity doesn't bother us (actually liked the Houston summer). A change of seasons would be nice, as long as it doesn't include extreme cold and lots of snow and ice come winter. How does Tyler's climate match what we're looking for? Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to where to start gathering information on Tyler, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,918 times
Tyler is great. Four seasons. It was 38 yesterday, 55 today, and should be 65 tomorrow. Winters seldom get below freezing and summers seldom over 100.

Here are some links to get you started:

Welcome to Tyler, Texas
Tyler Chamber of Commerce
Home
Tyler and East Texas Schools

Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,065,116 times
Yep, Tyler is it! Has the largest regional medical center in East Texas just added Henderson to the region - Level One Truma center usually found only in much larger cities. The University of Texas Cowen Performaing Arts Center where performances that stop in much larger cities - perform in Tyler. Very good East Texas Symphony - I have Houston as comparison.

Caldwell Zoo really nice - no not San Diego by any stretch. But many come from DFW because not too crowded - clean. Many golf courses, lakes, most shopping you need, and much you want. Varity of restaurants, really pretty place, no not New England, but gentle rolling hills and pines, oaks, and the largest municipal rose garden in the country - but the March an early Aprils the Azaleas or something - two driving trials - but yet not too crowded. Been here 19 years after 20 in Houston.

Lowest "City" property tax rate of any city in Texas with over 30,000 population - lowered it by 60% in last 12 years - yet have good city services. Your husbands job background show fit well in Tyler - no the payscale is not as high - but... Come for a visit !! yes, it does look like winter - nothing is green - but... give it a shot !!

Last edited by Mark Senior; 01-08-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 AM

469 posts, read 1,449,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyGrace View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. A few questions...I've read on this forum that Dallas is all about big money and keeping up with the joneses. That's not us. I'm not into that kind of competition. Does that attitude extend to Tyler? Also, we're coming from Pennsylvania, and I'm sick, sick, sick of the winters. Humidity doesn't bother us (actually liked the Houston summer). A change of seasons would be nice, as long as it doesn't include extreme cold and lots of snow and ice come winter. How does Tyler's climate match what we're looking for? Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to where to start gathering information on Tyler, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks again!
My husband and I are actually moving to PA this year from Houston. I can't take the heat & humidity of this place anymore! I have been here for 5 years, so I feel like I gave it a fair shot.
I am originally from a small town north of Dallas. No, Dallas is not a money/I'm better than you are place, IMO. The small towns outside of Dallas are full of friendly, down to earth people. It is not nearly as humid as Houston is, and you get the occasional snowfall in the winter. I loved growing up there and would love to move back someday.
I can't comment on Tyler, but from what I've heard, it sounds great!
Best of luck to you in your search!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,711,146 times
there is a certain strata in Tyler that is definitely about keeping up with the Jones and all that entails--lots of snobbery and country-club living--there is plenty of old money and new money in Tyler--it is not Mayberry but it is a pretty town -- strongly conservative values--some people might say prejudiced...has good medical infrastructure and pretty good college annex but the local schools are not top-notch compared to the better suburban districts in Dallas Fort Worth area--there are private schools but don't think their scholastics are that much better
lots of people in Tyler like being in a smaller pond...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas