Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,734 times

Advertisements

Are there any good places to live in Midland? I will be moving there sometime this month most likely by the end of Jan. I’m looking for something no more than 800.00 a month. Please help... What areas of town considered a "good" area? I will was offered a job in Odessa but everyone tells me to live in Midland since it is friendlier how true is this? Any help is greatly appreciated please let me know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM

146 posts, read 520,365 times
Well i dont live there anymore but when i left you couldnt find anything because of the oil boom. But i think now it isnt as bad as for the odessa midland thing it just depends midland is more white collar and odessa is more blue collar if that matters. I lived in odessa and it was a great city for me it had everything i needed and most stuff i wanted. I think that midlands worst sides are the east side and south side. In Odessa it is the south side. Hope all this helps

Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Default Thanks

Well thank you for the insight... Hopefully I will be able to find a reasonably priced home..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM

Anyone know where there is some affordable housing that does not entirely rely on credit... Plz let me know of any place............

Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepex69 View Post
Anyone know where there is some affordable housing that does not entirely rely on credit... Plz let me know of any place............
If you have bad credit, it's going to be tough!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM

17 posts, read 50,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If you have bad credit, it's going to be tough!
we are going to somehow the same sh... right now though instead of having bad credit we still have no credit history (points are not bad right now but there is no history behind it...as we were told) since my husband just moved back to the USA from Germany after having lived and worked in Germany for almost nine years.

Affordable housing in Midland seems hard to find but we made the experience now that even after offering almost the rent for a whole lease term up infront we were denied an apartment because of my husbands non existing work history. I am actually pretty mad now because those guys at the apartment office were told by my husband that he lived in Germany since 2000 and just returned to Midland and started working at the beginning of January 2009. They let him pay the application fee and told him the next day that due to their policies they can't rent him an apartment because he has no work history.
Looks like at least they tried calling the place he worked for here in Germany but "they were not talking english"....well, sorry, but unfortunately there are still a few people in Germany that can't speak or understand english and here in Germany it is not common that companies are being asked for references over the phone from landlords or stuff like that! Sure enough they wouldn't get any information over the phone like that!

Now it looks like that he has to travel a little bit longer back and forth from Lubbock to Midland and this is not easy after 10 or 12 hour shifts!I am not giving up hope for him being able to sign up for an apartment but actually I am not really wanting to make a sacrifice in my choice of school for the kids....those apartments he might has a chance to rent are situated in areas that I actually don't wanna send our kids to school to.

Anybody any ideas how long he hast to be working in this job until we have a decent chance for being accepted?
Or any other ideas how we can establish and increase credit history faster?

I will be moving to Texas in June....if everything works out with my visa. Though that shouldn't be that much of a problem because we are already married for almost nine years and have two kids.
So we still got some time. School starts at the end of August/beginning of September? So we've got until then to find a place in a good elementary school area (unfortunately we'll won't be able to afford private schools for a few years I guess LOL)....right now I am looking for Scharbauer, Greathouse, Emerson, Fannin or even Rusk and it really seems hard to find anything in those areas.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM

So we still got some time. School starts at the end of August/beginning of September? So we've got until then to find a place in a good elementary school area (unfortunately we'll won't be able to afford private schools for a few years I guess LOL)....right now I am looking for Scharbauer, Greathouse, Emerson, Fannin or even Rusk and it really seems hard to find anything in those areas.

At this point in time, yes, it will be tough to find something, especially Greathouse.

Since rentals and housing are in great demand right now, they do that because they can....and if Midland were not still booming (but probably on its way to bust if history is any indicator), it would be easier. They don't have to make any real effort to find tenants, so stuff like this happens.

Hang in there--good luck, and I hope something eventually works out for you!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 PM

384 posts, read 1,668,955 times
Default Legacy realestate

There is a house for lease on rustic trail in Green Tree--it's listed by Legacy Real Estate. I pass by it at least 2x a day. There are also at least 3-4 houses for sale on the same street so a private owner may be willing to work with you. I would give them a call! Sorry I don't have the number but if you can't find it, send me a message and I'll get it for you. The house would be in the Greathouse district. The house has been listed for at least 2 months........... and the houses for sale aren't moving very fast either so ya never know! Our neighbor's house (5 bdrm took 4 months to sell which is long for Midland) Good Luck, I should mention the house for lease is probably a 3 bdrm house and not one of the bigger houses you sometimes find out at Green Tree. HTH
Pam

Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
There is a house for lease on rustic trail in Green Tree--it's listed by Legacy Real Estate. I pass by it at least 2x a day. There are also at least 3-4 houses for sale on the same street so a private owner may be willing to work with you. I would give them a call! Sorry I don't have the number but if you can't find it, send me a message and I'll get it for you. The house would be in the Greathouse district. The house has been listed for at least 2 months........... and the houses for sale aren't moving very fast either so ya never know! Our neighbor's house (5 bdrm took 4 months to sell which is long for Midland) Good Luck, I should mention the house for lease is probably a 3 bdrm house and not one of the bigger houses you sometimes find out at Green Tree. HTH
Pam
So it has already started slowing down! It also surprises me that it took 4 months, when a couple of years ago, they often listed and got offers the same day!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM

384 posts, read 1,668,955 times
Default Hi Cathy!

Yes when we moved in 7/07, my dh lost the first few houses he looked at because they sold on the first day. We got lucky and found a family that wanted to wait until school ended (like us). There is also alot of construction going on North of Green Tree and it's been pretty dusty (up until today and the ice storm). Not sure if people are moving because of the road they are building North of us or what? I seem to be out of the loop about it! I think it is slowing down........my neighbor's house was immaculate (unlike mine!) People from Midland who just needed a bigger house bought it but now their house sold in just days (it was behind Pet Smart/dollar tree in that area)

Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas