Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:21 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times

Advertisements

AMEN TEATIME!

I am also a blonde white woman, "Anglo" as I was labeled down there. I had the same things happen to me as you have stated in your post.

But I had even worse happen to me-I was a victim of a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. yes, a man carrying a badge who "protects and serves".

And thank you for the last two sentences. Come on yall, stop with the race card. People do need to be aware of what goes on there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I noticed it and agree with it. As a blonde white woman who used to live in the Valley, you can't imagine how disgusting many of the men behaved toward me. OMG, I even had salesmen from the car dealership and furniture stores where I made purchases using my personal info to call me and proposition me. One of them even showed up at my home one night!

I had to make it a point NOT to buy any big ticket item or anything that needed to be delivered from a Hispanic salesman because they abused my customer information. Sorry, but pointing out something that really happens and warning people about it isn't racism. And if you don't like the fact that these things happen to white women in the Valley, by all means lead the charge for change.

Last edited by NOTAM; 01-14-2009 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 AM

30 posts, read 98,030 times
I feel I had to post since I do live close to Edinburg. This guy will continue to abuse and mooch off your daughter as long as she allows it, and more than likely, he has another woman somewhere close. For someone who has never lived here, the Valley can be intriguing. I really don't have an answer different than what the others have already told you. I hope she sees the light and gets her head on straight.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I noticed it and agree with it. As a blonde white woman who used to live in the Valley, you can't imagine how disgusting many of the men behaved toward me.

A lot of people know about this already. My wife is also blonde/white and has her stories outta Galveston. Guys do this at work, in public, wherever.

BTW - so did these guys 'warm up' by grabbing/pinching themselves while talking to you? I guess you don't like brown Papi?

IMO: The OP is a troll and exposed y'all who took the bait... hook, line & sinker. After reading it I knew Belle would take it.

If the OP isn't a troll, check this out. It could be worse! Right now she may have to suffer minor beatings whenever her boyfriend has to "teach" her how to act right. She's lucky he's not one of those Cuban guys who beats her AND urinates on her as the grand finale.

(One of my Hispanic friends from Galveston told me this once.)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times
My mom, whom still lives in the Valley, is blonde/blue eyed and though she never told me any stories or incidents like the above, I have unfortunately heard them from other people. I guess she wanted to keep those things to herself and not share them with us as we grew up. She's starting to loosen up and will tell us about things that have happened to her.

Though, on a deeper note, harrassment of women, while an interestingly bigger problem in the Valley (one just needs to read the local newspapers) is still a serious problem everywhere. When I see men treat and put down women for whatever reason, it really bothers me. I've had to speak with my fists once. Maybe it's because I grew up with someone that had those troubles.

On the bright side, the Valley is getting more diverse as the border towns begin to look like any other city in Texas. This is not a slight against the Hispanic people, as I believe the problem is more prevalent among Caucasians in the Deep South and African Americans, but the problem is cultural, especially around the border towns here.

Last edited by doss1; 01-14-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,618 times
Default Living near Edinburg

Edinburg is a beautiful city, but does have it's problems, like any other city. Since it is so close to Mexico, there are a lot of Mexican influence there, including a lot of machismo, that is the idea that men are worth more than women.

I would have to agree with previous statements, it's not the city you need to worry about, it's your daughter's boyfriend. He's a user, not just of drugs, but of people, especially women. He probably is very charismatic, which is why your daughter is so swept up by him. She might even be lonely, feeling she can't get anyone else, which might be why she is willing to overlook his very obvious flaws.

Hope all turns out well for her.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 40,682 times
OP, I feel for your situation. I am sure your daughter will look back and regret.

As for Edinburg...I am a white woman living just south of Edinburg. I HATE it...I'm moving to Dallas and renting the house I own here. I'll never question why racial minorities get the stereotype of being "angry sometimes. My treatment down here makes me flatout angry. THe bf saying Edinburg is beautiful is such a lie, but he probably believes it. Most people who live in the Valley grew up here and think it is the best place without really getting to know anyplace else. I think the Valley is gross. I live in the nicest part I can and I am so sick of people asking me if I have contacts because I have blue eyes and then making rude comments in general. I speak Spanish and I can often hear comments made in Spanish about me. I've lived here 7 years and have made lots of friends other places but many people here are ignorant enough not to be your friend.

Best wishes...If I were you I would do whatever a parent can for keeping her away from this place. It wouldnt be safe if she got caught in the wrong crowd which it sounds like she would.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybleu View Post
My Daughter is 22yo. She received a full Schollership to Sam Houston State University for criminal justice. While working part time as a waitress, she meets this cook from Edinburg Texas. He is Mexican American with Bipolar/ phsycosis. He has now talked my daughter into moving to Edinburg Tx with him. She has quit College and is now a waitress fulltime. He is living in her apartment & while she works, he is out hustling drugs in her car. He has told her how beautiful Edinburg is, & she will be able to get a great job there & they will live happily ever after. This has devistated my family and she will not listen to us. She only defends him. He recently was released from prison in January 1yo He was convicted of sexual assult etc.. We believe he has her on some type of drug. Can anyone tell me anything about Edinburg Texas? Can you tell me if this is the place for my beautiful, intelligent, white daughter to be? Help me save my daughter???

who cares if she's "precious white"? why do you even bring this up? i think that your letter is a hoax just trying to stir up the racist pot.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
AMEN TEATIME!

I am also a blonde white woman, "Anglo" as I was labeled down there. I had the same things happen to me as you have stated in your post.

But I had even worse happen to me-I was a victim of a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. yes, a man carrying a badge who "protects and serves".

And thank you for the last two sentences. Come on yall, stop with the race card. People do need to be aware of what goes on there!
of course, you'd be the first to play the race card. you're the one who accused me of being a "stalker" after you read my description of myself as being mexican american. i'm sure you that you would have been a lot friendlier with a white guy. if what you are saying is true, it would have already been exposed on fox news. so try again, mildred.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:34 AM

100 posts, read 446,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyview222 View Post
I HATE it...I'm moving to Dallas and renting the house I own here.

How the hell do you rent a house that you own? You're either renting or owning. Or do you mean you own a house that you're going to rent out to other people? What the hell are you talking about? *takes another shot of tequila*

Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM

96 posts, read 209,601 times
I'll bet your daughter is on meth. I've seen it too many times. But I'm guessing there's nothing you can do except keep loving her. She will either come away from it or will die too young. If her "boyfriend" is selling dope by all means contact the police. That's about your best chance of recovering your daughter. What Edinburg is like is not the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas