Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Leading Locations for 2012: Which MSAs Rank Highest for Economic & Job Growth? | Area Development Online

Those four MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Areas) are:

2. Odessa
6. Midland
11. Austin
22. Longview

The other areas represented in the TOP TWENTY FIVE are:

Columbus, Indiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
Bismark, North Dakota
Fargo, Minnesota
San Jose, California
Casper, Wyoming
Morganville, West Virginia
Columbia, Missouri
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Oklahoma City, OK
Charleston, SC
Nashville, TN
Dubuque, Iowa
Manhattan, Kansas
Knoxville, TN
State College, PA
Trenton, NJ
Washington, DC
Boston, MA
Holland, Michigan
Owensboro, KY

Go, Texas! And go, South (eight out of twenty five top locations!) And go, oil and gas industry (big part of the picture in at least 8 of those locations as well!).

It's not doom and gloom everywhere, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM

392 posts, read 634,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Leading Locations for 2012: Which MSAs Rank Highest for Economic & Job Growth? | Area Development Online

Those four MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Areas) are:

2. Odessa
6. Midland
11. Austin
22. Longview
The real question is... why trust the credibility of areadevelopment.com?

Why would we believe they can forecast the future?

What predictions did they make ten years ago? And how accurate were they?

Next year, will there be a different list of towns?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
The real question is... why trust the credibility of areadevelopment.com?

Why would we believe they can forecast the future?

What predictions did they make ten years ago? And how accurate were they?

Next year, will there be a different list of towns?
Did you read the article? How familiar are you with this organization?

I guess you should do your own research. Get back with us with what you find out, OK? Should be interesting.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 PM

392 posts, read 634,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Did you read the article? How familiar are you with this organization?

I guess you should do your own research. Get back with us with what you find out, OK? Should be interesting.
Since I, and many others, are not familiar with the source, they have the burden of proof. I'd be a fool if I believed everything put out on the Internet. And I don't have the interest or time to investigate every organization that claims to foretell the future.

I would think, though, that no one could possibly be in a position to make the claims they are making, identifying specific towns as the highest for job growth.

For example, how succesful were they in predicting the bursting of the information tech bubble? Did they anticipate the slowdown of the transportation industry after the 9-11 highjackings? What about the effect of hurricane Katrina on the Texas towns and cities?

If you believe that they authoritative, would you explain how and why? I need a reason to actually read another one of these things. Or even to add it to a long list of magazines and web pages that tout "the best cities for xxxxxxxx".

Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,453 times
I wouldn't pay much attention to this poll... To have Midland Odessa and LONGVIEW of all places over Houston, Corpus Christi or SA.

The Eagleford Shale is just as busy if not busier than the oilfield in west Texas. So I can't see how Midland or Odessa could possibly be higher than Houston or Victoria for potential. SA is not far form the oilfield and is starting to attract oil companies. Corpus Christi is also attracting a lot of oil companies and has the 5th busiest port in the nation. I can definitely see Austin in there though.

I wouldn't have a problem with seeing Midland or Odessa in the top 25. But to have them as number two and number six is ridiculous when comparing them to cities like Houston or SA. This list should be dominated by TX cities not all of these cities I have hardly heard of.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM

118 posts, read 273,400 times
Odessa-Midland represent. Woot!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,300 times
Since when is Fargo in Minnesota?????????????? And Bismarck is spelled with a "c"!!!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 PM

118 posts, read 273,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Since when is Fargo in Minnesota?????????????? And Bismarck is spelled with a "c"!!!

Bismarck is spelled correctly at the link and the rankings are for metropolitan areas so Fargo is in ND-MN. But the picture of Odessa is wrong I think.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Austin and Houston are where it's at.

Midland/Odessa and Longview are really too small and with very limited industries for most people (unless they're in those specific industries, and plan to be long term).

Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
You can't count my hometown of Longview out. Longview has been in the media for some years now when it comes to the economy. It's not some podunk east texas "town". It's a small city that is growing and growing and the economy in Longview is pretty damn healthy.

Taken from Longviewchamber.com
Quote:
In recent years the city has emerged from one of East Texas’s best-kept secret to one of the TOP 30 HOTTEST CITIES IN AMERICA (2006), by Expansion Management magazine. In fact, Inc. Magazine named Longview-Marshall “as one of best places for doing business in America” (2005) and according to Economy.com “Longview’s economy continues to expand at an impressive clip. Employment in the metro area is at an all-time high thanks to broad-based job creation. Hiring activity is strongest in business/professional services, reflecting increased use of temp workers and Longview’s overall economic growth. Employment growth in Longview continues to exceed the Texas average by a healthy margin.” (2005)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas