Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,539,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassShrink View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. Most of the people in Lubbock (not affiliated with TTU) are not "live and let live." There's a whole lot of judging going on, especially if you don't fit in.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Most of the people I know are (and I'm not afiliated with Tech). One example I can think of is the new freeway being named after an openly gay woman. Most Lubbockites respect Marsha Sharp and could care less what she does with her personal life.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM

256 posts, read 748,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Ouch. ()
Just to clarify, this was in response to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
I am a liberal Athiest, and I live in Texas, I hope you were joking, you are an embarrassment to my state.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 PM

9,275 posts, read 11,020,961 times
The OP doesn't understand that conservative and narrow-minded are not synonyms. They are antonyms.
Liberal and narrow minded/heavily biased are what go together.
But congratulations on getting so many responses.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,887,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well because West Texas is more of your tradional Texas area. Yeah the Rio Grande area voted democratic, but West Texas isn't known for being open-minded.
The Rio Grande Vally is West Texas?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,236,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The Rio Grande Vally is West Texas?
No

Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,539,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
The OP doesn't understand that conservative and narrow-minded are not synonyms. They are antonyms.
Liberal and narrow minded/heavily biased are what go together.
But congratulations on getting so many responses.
Both conservative and liberal are closed-minded... to each other at least.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 13,546 times
Exclamation how about watching the language we use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I started this thread not to bash Texas, but to get some legitimate opinions from people who live in or have been to Texas. I admit, I have somewhat of a prejeduce against Texas for various reasons, but reading what people say on this forum has greatly changed my mind and I do not dislike it as much anymore.

It seems like Texas has a reputation for being very conservative, politically (more so than other southern states) and very "tough" and "competitive", I guess you'd say. My biggest question is, is this accurate? Is it really any more conservative than other states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc.? I used to think that it very much was, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that Texas a very diverse, complex state, with many different demographic factors, and you can't generalize a state with 24 million people (2nd most populous state in the country) in any way.

So obviously, like any other state, Texas has many different geographic regions and areas that are all different. So my question for Texans is, when you compare apples to apples, are big cities in Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.) more conservative than big cities in other states? Are small towns in Texas more conservative/narrow-minded than other small towns? Are metropolitan areas as whole (Dallas and Houston) more conservative than other metropolitan areas as a whole? This is what has intrigued me the most.

Again, this is not an anti-Texas thread, I'm geniunely interested in the perspectives of people who have spent a significant amount of time in Texas.
Oh..so I take it is a confirmed liberal "fact" that conservative = non-thinking, narrow-minded, racist, etc. So, if I have conservative values in a supposed free speach and democratic society, I am narrow-minded and stupid...and I can see it coming...dangerous, right! Please refrain from using this language on these sights if you want to have any credibility behind the 53 percent of those who consider themselves so enlightened.
The rest of the country..that 47 percent narrow-minded are still here and are not going to so easily roll over!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,546 times
Diversity..means everthing that liberal, anything goes, and has left wing politics..did I get it right? My bad! Please don't report me to the thought police.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,837,519 times
Liberal means open minded. It isn't just a political identification or political party.

Many parts of Texas can be really narrow minded usually truly conservative people and areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Why do you associate being a conservative with poor, narrow/minded (whatever that means) and uneducated?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 PM

639 posts, read 1,139,971 times
The more "liberal" Texas becomes the more it will go down the tubes. Texans are known for their strength, hard work, and dedication to country. The liberals are strong on free speech as long as you are saying what they believe in. Texas is FINE just the way it is. Don't change to please a liberal populace that is BURYING states like California, Michigan, and New York!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas