Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
I guess if you call believing in the sanctity of life, limited government , right to keep and bear arms, helping your neighbor, attending church , grilling various meats (not some soybean mush), loving our state, being friendly to others not so fortunate to reside in our great state, hunting, fishing, and all the other "outlandish" things we do - then we are guilty as charged - we are narrow-minded. God Bless
you are discribing AR as well as Texas and I agree.

Nita

Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Californians aren't Yankees and besides, when will we retire that word anyway.

As guess as soon as they get rid of Redneck and Hillbilly.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The little towns in Texas and Austin are pretty narrow minded.
The little towns or Texas and Austin are preety narrow minded? Isn't Austin part of Texas or did you mean little towns as well as Austin? I do not think Austin is as narrow minded as the rest of the state, but narrow minded is a matter of opinion, depending on what side you are on. I guess to libs everyplace except Ca is narrow minded..

Nita

Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Yes, yes it is...and you can't tell me otherwise. Hmph!
I love this. Just love it.

The term "Yankee" has a specific meaning, and it is not "anyone from outside of Texas". It means those from North of the Mason-Dixon, and is not a pejorative - the latter would be "damn Yankee", applied to those with the attitude described of being better than those who are native to this State and uniquely qualified to fix things (can you say carpetbagger? - now, there's a term that could be applied to anyone from outside of the state who comes in thinking they're better and that Texas would be so much better if it were only just like where they came from - there are plenty who move here without that attitude and, when from California, they're neither Yankees nor carpetbaggers).

Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 AM

ohhh Carpetbaggers. I forgot that term. "Damn Carpetbaggers." I think that applies more to the Cali set. You should hear them whine-and-pine for their homeland that sucked them finanically dry. But they have a "mansion" 60 miles outside of Houston and only drive 3 hours a day. So it's all good.

I don't mind the Cali people. I'm just personally sick of their biotching when they get here. Like they really thought Texas was going to be socially and demographically just like Cali. And when they find the more desirable areas to live are just as expensive as Beverly Hills, they're perplexed.

THL- Seriously though, my parents generation called anyone north of the Houston Beltway, Yankee. It is used locally to mean anyone to the north, historically correct or not.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,823 times
Default the title says it all

"Is Texas really as conservative/narrow-minded as people say it is?"

A typical liberal headline. Liberals use a pejorative term when describing "conservative" by linking it with "narrow-mindedness". More evidence to prove my point that liberals are the close-minded ones, and conservatives just want to be left alone by government.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
"Is Texas really as conservative/narrow-minded as people say it is?"

A typical liberal headline. Liberals use a pejorative term when describing "conservative" by linking it with "narrow-mindedness". More evidence to prove my point that liberals are the close-minded ones, and conservatives just want to be left alone by government.

Well, it's that and moderates and conservatives are often perplexed as to why they must bend and tolerate the extremist issues on the left, yet not have their own beliefs and desires tolerated or even respected. I'm finding the far left is the least "Tolerant" of them all.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well, it's that and moderates and conservatives are often perplexed as to why they must bend and tolerate the extremist issues on the left, yet not have their own beliefs and desires tolerated or even respected. I'm finding the far left is the least "Tolerant" of them all.
I have to agree with you there. It is kind of amusing though. They pitch a fit whenever someone is religious or they don't want to live around people that do attend church yet they say they are "open minded" and we are the closed minded ones. LOL!!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I would have repped just about every post you've made on this thread if I could. Good work.

And THL, I don't think Yankee as it's used nowadays in the South or even during the War Between the States necessarily implies only those North of the Mason-Dixon line. Marylanders would have been called Yankees during the War, and Delaware then and now is much closer to the Mid-Atlantic "Yankee" states than it is to the South, though it's south of the line.

California is also south of the Mason-Dixon line, but was largely populated by Yankees and has very much so has a "Yankee" attitude and culture.

So you can't isolate the term strictly geographically.

I've also heard "Yankee" to mean anyone outside of Texas, though when referred to Southerners it's usually jocularly or insultingly. I've called Okies "Yankees" before just to get their goat, but I don't think of Oklahoma as being a place which has very many Yankees. However, calling a Southerner a Yankee is indeed an insult; calling them "damn Yankees" is just plain dangerous if you value having your nose in one piece.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
No it's absolutely nothing like that.

Yankee around here refers to anyone from outside the South. Last time I checked, California isn't considered to be part of the South. They also were on the Federal side during the War Between the States.

Therefore they are Yankees.

It also has a lot to to with attitude and beliefs. Yankees tend to believe they are better than people from the South and that we're a backwards cesspool that needs to feel real Yankee progress. They also tend to be out-of-touch with regular Americans on social issues (this is coming from a socially center-left perspective, as well).

All in all Yankees are generally the antithesis of our culture, and California fits the bill pretty damn well.

Why on earth would we retire the word "Yankee." We might as well retire "American" then, or "moron," Like Yankee, both are valid words with valid definitions and are very useful, and there's no need to "retire" them at all.

When Yankees act like decent human beings, they will receive my respect. It has happened before but certainly isn't common.
When people in general act like human beings, they might be respected. How can you categorize like that? I can't believe you don't know any Texas degenerates or total buffoons.

No, Yankees are not those who live outside the South, but there is no changing your mind, so have fun with it.

People from all states think they're better than those from other places. My God, people in a single state think they're better than their neighbors even if they were brought up in the same place. Texas, New York, California, etc....None of them are any different because many people are jerks.

Do everyone from outside of the south a favor. Do not give them your respect no matter how "deserving" they may be or WHEN they meet your expectations of becoming mighty fine people. I'm certain they'll survive very well without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas