Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 AM

392 posts, read 633,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
To me, someone with an open mind means not someone who changes their core principles and values, but who looks at ALL the facts before making a judgment, not just those that shore up their preferred world view,
In practice, is it ever possible to look at ALL the facts? After all, your world view will keep you from seeing certain facts, in spite of your best efforts.

We've already agreed that someone, whatever his ideology, is not going to change his core beliefs and principles. Then, we must understand that information that contradicts those core values and beliefs will be invisible to him. If a liberal saw the facts that a Libertarian sees, he would lose his liberal values. In order to remain a liberal over an extended period of time, he must ignore information that contradicts his liberalism.

So in practice, nobody can follow your definition of open-minded and remain true to their principles.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM

In order to remain on post for this thread, I'll revisit the premise of the original question... is Texas still this narrow-minded reactionary place where people are in denial of the self-evident liberal principles?

A staunch, rock-bottom liberal would probably say yes, since he defines liberalism as the opposite of narrow-minded or closed minded.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post

You know what they call a man with an open mind?

??????????????????????????????????

A fool
How deliciously witty of you. Here another one:

What do you call a person who is presented with hard facts that their way of thinking is wrong, yet refuses to change their beliefs (ie a closed minded person)?

A Moron or idiot, whichever you prefer.

And this has nothing to do with political party either. I came from California which had liberals like this and now being in Texas, I meet conservatives like this.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
How deliciously witty of you. Here another one:

What do you call a person who is presented with hard facts that their way of thinking is wrong, yet refuses to change their beliefs (ie a closed minded person)?
You have a basic misunderstanding of what a "fact" is, or what the word signifies.

A fact is a recorded event at a particular place and time. People create judgments based on their interpretation of those factual events.

A liberal will interpret a set of facts according to one viewpoint, a Libertarian according to another, a Fascist according to yet another.

Now if I tell a liberal that it is a hard fact that liberalism is a form of mental illness, so he should change his thinking in view of that fact, he might not be swayed by my argument.

If he did, he'd be an open-minded fool to fall for that.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM

I read in the news a few days ago that the people who promote the "Nigerian scams", deliberately make their pitch as stupid and obvious as possible. The idea is, they want to weed out all but the most gullible in the population, so the ones who do fall for it are too stupid to ever catch on, and most likely to send money.

In other words, they troll for the completely open-minded.

Last edited by savanite; 07-03-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM

An open mind is like a garbage can without a lid.

Anybody can throw their junk down the top.

And it stinks.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
As a witness to the ways and moods and thought patterns in Texas for several decades, I can definitely say it's gotten more narrow, shallow, rigid, and limited in mindset. The biggest change has come in the many smaller towns throughout the state. The people used to be quiet, peaceful, spiritual, and "live and let be". Now with cable and Faux News piped into the home, these folks have an opinion and are up in arms about anything about everything. The peace and unity and "simple times" are gone. Right or wrong (you make the call), the state is not like it used to be.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
gotten more narrow, shallow, rigid, and limited in mindset.
No, it's just going in the wrong direction to suit you. If it were going the other way, you'd call it right-thinking, fundamental, steadfast and focused in its mindset.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
I'd certainly never use the word "steadfast". What era or century are you living in?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
savanite, as someone who is neither Liberal nor Conservative, seeing no difference between the two at rock bottom, "We want to do your thinking for you and make your decisions for you and decide for you what civil liberties you get to keep and which ones you want to give up" agenda, I find it interesting that you, in your posts, are displaying precisely the flaws that you ascribe to liberals.

I love it, because you're making that point for me without me having to do anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas