Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
That touches on the question of the extent to which conservatives from elsewhere are selecting Texas due to its conservative reputation. I'm not sure how many people have the luxury of selecting where they live based strictly on ideology, as well as how many would actually predicate relocation entirely on ideological considerations even if they have great freedom as to where the are able to move.

As to the Republican ascendency in Tecas, nothing lasts forever.
I thought anyone would come to Texas just for the job climate. I think the heat would be more likely to keep them away than ideologies. It was very conservative when I lived in Tyler back in the 70's. I was drilling wells out around Nolan, Merkel, Sweetwater just west of Abilene, and around Gonzales and Shiner (WOOHOO) and as far south of Dilley - all very conservative back in the 80s. I've been in the Big City since 1967 as home - coming down from Chicago. It does swing back and forth as a state, but the rural areas are going to remain conservative for the most part. People moving into the state are probably not going to move to Nolan or Catarina. People will go to the major population centers, and I believe for the most part, continue to blue up.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

933 posts, read 1,532,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
So only republicans get to vote? That doesn't seem right. Democrats don't get to vote? Why, there ought to be a law.

That 102 - 48 advantage in the House is, I would hope, reflective of their constituency. With all the Californians coming in, there is a chance it could change, if only they got to vote. Stranglehold? Maybe like blue stranglehold on California.
Gerrymandering, Voter ID. All attempts by Texas GOP to keep their monopoly on power in Texas.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Gerrymandering, Voter ID. All attempts by Texas GOP to keep their monopoly on power in Texas.
I like it when the GOP mentions limited government and personal responsibility but you'll see unlimited government and personal irresponsibility if you're a gay person trying to get "married" or a woman looking for an abortion. ¡Oh the irony!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
You do realize this happens with every political party when in power.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
I already get id'ed when I vote, I am all for it.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM

270 posts, read 587,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I started this thread not to bash Texas, but to get some legitimate opinions from people who live in or have been to Texas. I admit, I have somewhat of a prejeduce against Texas for various reasons, but reading what people say on this forum has greatly changed my mind and I do not dislike it as much anymore.

It seems like Texas has a reputation for being very conservative, politically (more so than other southern states) and very "tough" and "competitive", I guess you'd say. My biggest question is, is this accurate? Is it really any more conservative than other states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc.? I used to think that it very much was, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that Texas a very diverse, complex state, with many different demographic factors, and you can't generalize a state with 24 million people (2nd most populous state in the country) in any way.

So obviously, like any other state, Texas has many different geographic regions and areas that are all different. So my question for Texans is, when you compare apples to apples, are big cities in Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.) more conservative than big cities in other states? Are small towns in Texas more conservative/narrow-minded than other small towns? Are metropolitan areas as whole (Dallas and Houston) more conservative than other metropolitan areas as a whole? This is what has intrigued me the most.

Again, this is not an anti-Texas thread, I'm geniunely interested in the perspectives of people who have spent a significant amount of time in Texas.
So let me get this straight. "Conservatives" are narrow-minded? Oh and let me guess, liberals are just so wonderful and full of love and understanding.. Give me a break. And yes, everyone in Texas voted for Presidnet Bush and would do it again over and over again. C'mon down and spend some time with us. We have some great tea-partys you can attend.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was wondering about that one. Every single time I've voted I've either presented my voter registration card (which I inevitably forget) or, most times, my driver's license to show that I'm the person who's on the list of registered voters for that precinct.

This has been the case since I first did a write in vote for Dr. Spock for President way back in the middle of the last century.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that one. Every single time I've voted I've either presented my voter registration card (which I inevitably forget) or, most times, my driver's license to show that I'm the person who's on the list of registered voters for that precinct.

This has been the case since I first did a write in vote for Dr. Spock for President way back in the middle of the last century.
One problem, as I see it, is I'm still getting voter registration cards for the previous owner of my house. I could easily hand that off to someone and nobody would be the wiser (I don't think) as he left Texas over 8 years ago. Today I got a jury summons for him in the mail. I'm curious what will come of that since they're supposed to be coming down on that in Dallas as of recently. Seriously hoping I don't have someone knocking on my door!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I like it when the GOP mentions limited government and personal responsibility but you'll see unlimited government and personal irresponsibility if you're a gay person trying to get "married" or a woman looking for an abortion. ¡Oh the irony!
There are actually quite a few libertarian conservatives who are more open to the idea of same-sex marriages / unions. Unfortunately, here in the Bible Belt, the socially conservative fascists rule.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I'd have to say Voter ID is more about voter suppression as opposed to a counter for voter fraud (very rare in the state of Texas.)

It appears it's in the GOP's best interest to champion such law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas