Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 27,306 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are finding it hard to meet people around Killeen. My husband has a friend that just got stationed at fort hood also, and his wife dislikes it so much she went back to North Carolina. I am the type of person that says Hello to everyone, and I always smile, but when you do that in Killeen, people just look at you strange, or keep walking. We have been to Austin a couple of times, and boy what a huge difference in people. They seem more friendly in Austin. I guess my question to you all is any ideas on how to meet people. Thanks for listening. Hope to hear from you all soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
"Hey those are some nice shoes where did you get them?"

"Oh hey Where is that place on your T-Shirt, Jacket, Hatpin? I am new to the area."

In other words don't be shy, start up a conversation with a stranger.. who knows in 5 min you could have started a life long friendship.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Sorry y'all are having a tough go at it! I remember how alone I felt when I first moved to Maine. One problem is you've moved to the community of the biggest military base in America! Lots of turnover in the transient population and the locals know you'll be gone when you get a new duty assignment. I'd like to invite y'all to East Texs but it is 5 hours away ... quite a road trip.

While out exploring y'all should go to Fredricksburg and Kerrville area. Salt of the Earth folks out there! Try eating at the Lakehouse Restaraunt on the Old Junction Highway in Kerrville on the river. Kinda of a friend of mine owns the place! Good luck.

Bob

Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Have you done any activities with the MWR department? Also, surely your husband isn't the only person in his unit, so I'm sure he has a married coworker who he likes well enough for y'all to do a double date.

Volunteering with a local charity is rewarding, and also is a good way to find people who share similar interests.

Also, consider joining a local church. That's a GREAT way to meet people!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Well, first problem is you are in Killeen. Though I don't know what area of Killeen, but it is a fairly big city and full of transients and military families spread out quite a bit. Don't know if there are neighborhoods that are tight-knit. It's different than living on post. Why did you not move to post housing?
Killeen is certainly not representative of Texas. Ft Hood is surrounded by many small rural quintessential Texas towns, where we know our neighbors, meet at cowboy church or rodeos or the sale barn or 4H/livestock shows or country fairs etc. That is the life I lead here very happily. There is no hustle and bustle. I dont have to circle the parking lot at Walmart or HEB to get a parking spot within reasonable walking distance to the store. I never have to wait in line at the register. I am met with a friendly "howdy" wherever I go around here, and ANYTIME i drive my pickup on the country roads here, we exchange a cowboy wave.
I am active in a WONDERFUL cowboy church in a big steel pole barn, where you can bring your dogs to church. It is a common site to see folks with their dogs dressed in doggy sweaters/coats, sitting in their laps during church service. My cowboy church has its own arena where we hold ropin's, jackpots, playdays, buckouts. We have lots of activities. Lots of country music. A very happy place.
I guarantee that the rural country towns surrounding Ft Hood are friendlier than Austin.

Ok, so you are not in the country, I assume, but somewhere in the city limits of Killeen. Get involved with groups. There are TONS on post. Ft Hood has a great golf course, skeet range, target shooting range, guided hunts, bowling alleys, arts/crafts/auto shops and classes. Then there is BLORA and all that MWR does with them. FRG groups. American Red Cross. The options are endless.
Do you have dogs? Join a meetup group in the area. There are even breed-specific ones. I assume you may have dogs/terriers because of your screen name. Killeen is supposed to open up a dog park in February, I believe. In the meantime, Georgetown has Bark Park...and on Monday (MLK DAY), they are having a "YAPPY HOUR"-google for details-should be great fun. Do you like animals? Volunteer at Second Chance No-Kill Shelter in Killeen. I could go on and on. And if you are a military dependent, you have MILLIONS of options.

Just give it time. WELCOME TO THE GREAT PLACE! HOOAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriers4us View Post
My husband and I are finding it hard to meet people around Killeen. My husband has a friend that just got stationed at fort hood also, and his wife dislikes it so much she went back to North Carolina. I am the type of person that says Hello to everyone, and I always smile, but when you do that in Killeen, people just look at you strange, or keep walking. We have been to Austin a couple of times, and boy what a huge difference in people. They seem more friendly in Austin. I guess my question to you all is any ideas on how to meet people. Thanks for listening. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Last edited by NOTAM; 01-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

122 posts, read 310,293 times
I've lived here for 5 years around one in Kempner, 3 1/2 in Killeen, and 1/2 in Belton and I have no friends here. That is my choice though. I have friends from where I used to live and don't join clubs, try to talk to people when I go out and just want to be left alone. Maybe you've found others like me and my wife in your travels in Killeen. Sorry, but not everyone wants to talk in line or talk to strangers. Good luck in finding friends, I hope you can find places or people that are into being friends.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Kempner is not even a community! there is practically no way to make friends in Kempner-it's just a widely spread out place with no real "neighborhoods" or "town", so that is no surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytexas View Post
I've lived here for 5 years around one in Kempner, 3 1/2 in Killeen, and 1/2 in Belton and I have no friends here. That is my choice though. I have friends from where I used to live and don't join clubs, try to talk to people when I go out and just want to be left alone. Maybe you've found others like me and my wife in your travels in Killeen. Sorry, but not everyone wants to talk in line or talk to strangers. Good luck in finding friends, I hope you can find places or people that are into being friends.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM

122 posts, read 310,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Kempner is not even a community! there is practically no way to make friends in Kempner-it's just a widely spread out place with no real "neighborhoods" or "town", so that is no surprise.
Even living in "bigger" towns, I still don't want to make friends. Good luck to the original poster though.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Well, to each his own. And certainly Kempner is a place to keep to yourself. I reckon I would be that way if I had a significant other, but being alone with no husband or family, I need the community support of small rural close-knit towns where everyone knows everyone, and I know the deputy sheriffs by name etc. That's why I love Gatesville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytexas View Post
Even living in "bigger" towns, I still don't want to make friends. Good luck to the original poster though.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Default I need short term housing in the Killeen or surrounding areas

I am in desperate need for housing in Killeen, my husband is stationed there and I am moving tomorrow. We are only going to be in Killeen for a couple months and need something furnished. The house we got fell through, anyone have any ideas as to where to look for furnished housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas