Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 6,081 times

Advertisements

I'm also from Michigan, and also looking into up and moving to Texas.

I'm in Grand Rapids, terrible over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 AM

9 posts, read 46,786 times
Question...is Texas the ONLY default answer to getting away from high-unemployment states? I can't believe thats the case.......I don't necessarily see it as an answer for these folks...the culture is far different for one. Job opportunities are largely tied to being local, per networks, knowing someone, etc as well.......Surely there are multiple answers to everything, and everyone can't run to the same place with the same idea, anymore than they can all get into the insurance business and sell each other term policies......anyone have any better ideas than just jumping in the family vehicle and moving to Texas?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Jumping into the wagon and coming to Texas after they lost everything in "The War Between the States" worked well for my family!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 30,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It won't be long until some of those Californians in city-data who love to bash Texas and call us a bunch of cousin bangin' stupids will be moving here. "You Texans are so backwards." Then stay home and fix your own state!
yah, no doubt!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM

198 posts, read 508,270 times
I moved to Texas in June 07 from SE MI. Wife and I are in our mid forties and homesickness has been the hardest part of the move, as well as establishing a new network of friends.
But....
We love the much milder winters.
The 2 teenage kids have adapted well. My son is in band and loves the fact the the school has money to spend on equipment and how serious they take the band.
I'm doing my part to assimilate.
got new plates on my car
got me a cowboy hat
got me some cowboy boots too..
Neighbor gave me his old smoker and I've used it once already, but burnt the brisket. He of course needed a "BIGGER" one.
Wife painted a big Texas landscape mural on the dinning room wall (we call it somewhere in Texas).
made my own authentic painted Texas flag out of old weathered barn wood. It hangs in my office next to the Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie collector whiskey decanters.
We enjoy harvesting tomatoes in November Seeing dandelions in February and grilling on the patio in the winter.

Migration by people for various opportunities is as old as the first sea faring vessels, so its inevitable that it would be happening in Texas too. I hope the people who come here try to embrace a little of Texas.

I can't put my finger on it but I think Texas still has a spirit long forgotten in other parts of this country, and that's part of what attracted me to come here as well. I hope that spirit is maintained.
Regards,
GRHTEX

Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM

293 posts, read 849,847 times
I escaped MI for TX in the mid 90s when things were better in MI than they are now (but still bad). We lived in TX for 8 years before finally giving into homesickness for MI and moving back. It's been one bad thing after another economically since moving back here and we realized early on that we should've stayed in TX. Now we are working toward getting back there and hoping that things are still good. But I went back to TX for an extended visit last summer and it still felt like "home". I really miss the mild winters and the Texas spirit, and yes, even the summers. I adjusted to the TX weather really well and now our MI summers seem way too cold to me, and the winters here are almost unbearable. I can't wait to get back to Texas!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
you, no doubt, BELONG in Texas. you have truly embraced all of what makes this state great. welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhtex View Post
I moved to Texas in June 07 from SE MI. Wife and I are in our mid forties and homesickness has been the hardest part of the move, as well as establishing a new network of friends.
But....
We love the much milder winters.
The 2 teenage kids have adapted well. My son is in band and loves the fact the the school has money to spend on equipment and how serious they take the band.
I'm doing my part to assimilate.
got new plates on my car
got me a cowboy hat
got me some cowboy boots too..
Neighbor gave me his old smoker and I've used it once already, but burnt the brisket. He of course needed a "BIGGER" one.
Wife painted a big Texas landscape mural on the dinning room wall (we call it somewhere in Texas).
made my own authentic painted Texas flag out of old weathered barn wood. It hangs in my office next to the Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie collector whiskey decanters.
We enjoy harvesting tomatoes in November Seeing dandelions in February and grilling on the patio in the winter.

Migration by people for various opportunities is as old as the first sea faring vessels, so its inevitable that it would be happening in Texas too. I hope the people who come here try to embrace a little of Texas.

I can't put my finger on it but I think Texas still has a spirit long forgotten in other parts of this country, and that's part of what attracted me to come here as well. I hope that spirit is maintained.
Regards,
GRHTEX

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 15,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porfavor View Post
I'm also from Michigan, and also looking into up and moving to Texas.

I'm in Grand Rapids, terrible over here.
I'm from North Carolina and my fiancee is from Ann Arbor. He moved to North Carolina and 2 weeks ago we got in the car and started driving west with intentions on settling in South Texas. Not knowing exactly where we were going, we had a couple of appt appts but those didn't pan out. We took the little money we had and left. Currently we are in Falfurrias which is about 70 miles north of Mcallen. We have been in a motel for the last two weeks. Tommorow we are going to be settling in a town just north of corpus christi. The economy is bad and going to get worse if all hell breaks lose we will not be to far from mexico and once we hit that border we will keep driving until we get to Costa Rica. We were in Costa Rica for two months late last year.

Things are getting bad and they are going to get worse. Glad to know we weren't the only ones to make that move.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
The California fiscal shortfall this year is $41,000,000,000.00. No wonder people are moving! Let's all take a step back, a deep breath and appreciate how effed that situation is. The public services are going to take a wallop, and the flight of real estate tax revenue along with the flight of actual residents is going to send that state down the tubes. The smart ones are getting out while they can, even at a loss.
maybe if they didn't give so many free handouts their budget wouldn't be so screwed up!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
As long as the elected officials don't start moving here I think we're safe When I hear that Arnold is looking at some Austin real estate I may run for the border too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas