Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As you prepare for TV's digital conversion, what do you have?
Cable 25 62.50%
Satellite 9 22.50%
Analog TV (Rabbit-Ears) 5 12.50%
Don't Own A TV 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Rabbit ears here with converter box and the picture is a lot better then analog was. I'm also getting a free 24 hour movie channel with it.

I agree with the picture quality 100%. Which move channel are you getting out here btw?

In Houston there are quite a bit of channels in Espanol with this DTV.

I'm thinking about getting one of these Terk outdoor antennas for the roof. Maybe then I can get the Beaumont and College Station channels as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Well, I don't have rabbit ears, just the old antennae sitting high on the roof and with the converter box, it's just terrific. I cannot part with my 24 year old Zenith console TV. It has never given me one tiny bit of trouble and I really don't like the newer TV styles.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
The problem with these old TVs is that things are in 16:9 wide-screen now. I don't even have a wide screen or HDTV yet. I've been resisting the hype, waiting for the prices to come down on a premium quality TV. I like the LG Scarlet but I'm waiting a little longer for the price to come down some more.

Anyway on my regular tube TV's the picture sometimes gets cut off on the left & right sides. It's enough to be annoying at times. This digital TV is being broadcast wide-screen now, rendering all your consoles my Sony Wega's incomplete and obsolete. Such is life.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 AM

898 posts, read 2,563,176 times
Wow I can't wait until I can stop hearing about this every time the TV is on. We freaking know about it already!! And to answer the thread, I have cable so I'm ready

Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I agree with the picture quality 100%. Which move channel are you getting out here btw?

In Houston there are quite a bit of channels in Espanol with this DTV.

I'm thinking about getting one of these Terk outdoor antennas for the roof. Maybe then I can get the Beaumont and College Station channels as well.
It's called THIS... it's older movies but heck it's free.. I'm waiting to up date antennas until after the do the complete change over.

There's something out there called the Smart Antenna but I have not been able to find it anywhere yet. It talked about if in the instructions that came with the converter box and it has it's own place to plug into the box.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
The problem with these old TVs is that things are in 16:9 wide-screen now. I don't even have a wide screen or HDTV yet. I've been resisting the hype, waiting for the prices to come down on a premium quality TV. I like the LG Scarlet but I'm waiting a little longer for the price to come down some more.

Anyway on my regular tube TV's the picture sometimes gets cut off on the left & right sides. It's enough to be annoying at times. This digital TV is being broadcast wide-screen now, rendering all your consoles my Sony Wega's incomplete and obsolete. Such is life.
My box has a setting in it for the wide screen stuff and it works on my 20 year old RCA. When I set it, it picks up those cut off areas. Thing is you have to set every time or just leave it set.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I have satellite TV but use "rabbit ears" to get the local network channels. I applied for a coupon toward a converter box but haven't received it yet, sigh. I guess I'll just have to go without the local channels until I get it. I don't want to pay full price for a converter box.

DirecTV offered me a new box that I could plug my rabbit ears into and it would coordinate my local channels with my DirecTV channels. It would cost me $50 and I don't think you can use the government coupon towards it. That sounds great, BUT if I decide to drop DirecTV at any time in the future, then I'd be out the $50 and would need to buy another converter box.

I'm not sure what to do.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM

52,689 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
You probably will. That's a very creative approach.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:18 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,800 times
Everything in my house is cable-ready, and I've got digital cable. So it's pretty safe to say I'm ready for the big day.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
I think my TV watching days are over except when the Cowboys, longhorns, and spurs are on, I ll be at the bar then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas