Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 AM

19 posts, read 28,011 times

Advertisements

thanks catman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM

350 posts, read 1,114,886 times
Muhnay - we're coming through El Paso in April. We're going to stop at the Cattlemen's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs. We saw it on the food show network. Have you eaten there? Is it worth is?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,496,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan77005 View Post
The division I work for in my company relocated from Massachusetts to Houston, TX 3 years ago. Of the 60 people employed, 4, including me, choose to move. 3 years later, 2 moved back to the Boston area, 1 retired to FL and I am in the final round of interviews at a tech firm in Waltham, MA

I moved to Houston after doing little research. Keeping some extra $$$$ was reason enough. Only problem, Texas sucks compared to New England!!

Weather ~ oppressively hot and humid for most of the year…
Parks ~ nobody uses, too hot, too humid, too dangerous…
No public transportation ~ terrible traffic and smog not to mention tolls tolls tolls…
Low taxes ~ awful public schools, expensive private schools, no trash pickup in my subdivision, high fees… city, county, municipal taxes!!! Texas should have NO TAXES AT ALL considering the trillions of $$$$ the energy industry and government contractors here rake in annually!!!
Politics ~ as a Republican, I detest that Evangelicals have control of the party down here… they stifle innovation and progress.
Wages ~ my base w/incentives = <30% of what I made in Massachusetts three years ago…
Texans ~ disingenuous, sicky sweet, over accessorized, over processed, dated a Bunny and a Muffin over two years LALALALA

...any suggestions on a new place to live? Yes, anywhere but Texas!
I see the problem and it is you, not Texas. You came down with a closed mind and when moving to a new part of the country, that is never a good idea. There were some preconcieved notions told to you by some "never been outside of Boston" "friend" of yours and you believed them. Then you moved here and never opened your eyes to the nice city that Houston generally is. I am originally fromNY and I never had one single person ever ask me what religious affilliation I was in 6 years! You are going to try and convince us that the inner city schools are any better than the inner city schools here? The only thing you are right on is that the public trans. is limited, but it is headed for improvement.

Go ahead on back to the provincial attitudes in Boston and all the racism that goes on there. Leave Houston and Texas for those who appreciate all the wonderful stuff happening in this state

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,601,067 times
Thank you sweetclimber

Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM

3,245 posts, read 5,585,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I see the problem and it is you, not Texas. You came down with a closed mind and when moving to a new part of the country, that is never a good idea. There were some preconcieved notions told to you by some "never been outside of Boston" "friend" of yours and you believed them. Then you moved here and never opened your eyes to the nice city that Houston generally is. I am originally fromNY and I never had one single person ever ask me what religious affilliation I was in 6 years! You are going to try and convince us that the inner city schools are any better than the inner city schools here? The only thing you are right on is that the public trans. is limited, but it is headed for improvement.

Go ahead on back to the provincial attitudes in Boston and all the racism that goes on there. Leave Houston and Texas for those who appreciate all the wonderful stuff happening in this state

Succinctly put!

I lived in New England for 2 years ... wow, the things I could say about there and how I was treated. Quite arrogant bunch up there.

To the OP. I thought my drives thru E Pennsyvania quite enlightening ... beautiful countryside for sure. I always wanted to fish the Susquehana.

Tool and Die guy .. Oil industry or any of the refineries that stretch from Corpus Christie to Orange. Political, religious,and social outlook ... most anywhere in Texas. Beaumont, Texas has one of the largest Harley dealerships in Texas ... Cowboy Harleys. Lotsa riders here. Good luck and God bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas