Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 PM

63 posts, read 327,275 times

Advertisements

texel, we're interested in palestine adn nacogdoches. living near there, do you have any insights? anyone else who does, i'd appreciate the info. also.
thanks everyone for adding to our list of possibiliites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 AM

7 posts, read 24,199 times
Default nacogdoches and palestine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wainwrights View Post
texel, we're interested in palestine adn nacogdoches. living near there, do you have any insights? anyone else who does, i'd appreciate the info. also.
thanks everyone for adding to our list of possibiliites!
I have been to both places and they have lots of trees. I have heard things about Palestine. That I am unsure about whether or not it is what you are looking for.

I know Nacogdoches has a lot of historical places and if I had to choose between the 2. Nacogdoches would be my choice. Nacogdoches is more in the Piney woods region. It is very beautiful. My aunt lives not far from there and if I talk with her soon. I will ask her opinion on it.

Good luck....

Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
Amy, the Tyler area could be a nice area for you and your family. I actually like Tyler more than some of the others mentioned. Whitehouse and Lindale school systems are on the fringes and could offer you much of what you are seeking. With many younger, professional families moving in ... the Spring Hill area of Longview could also be an excellent fit.

Based on your original criteria, the concerns I would have with Tyler or Longview for you and your family would be the availability of parks and the opportunities for those strolls in front of the older homes.

Tyler has some beautiful older homes in the Azalea District, but I wouldn't want my wife or children walking alone in that area. Longview does not have enough homes of that type to speak of.

The growth of Tyler leaves many question marks about the future. No way to predict how existing areas will change or how bad traffic will get.

When I read the criteria you originally listed, I think of a small town on the west side of Chicago or one north of Boston. Texas just doesn't have much of that to offer that I am aware of. Fredericksburg does have a little of that feel.

I have some family in Tyler and they love it. They've lived all over the country and Tyler is their favorite.

If you want more information on Tyler or Longview, just let me know.
Amy

This may sound strange, but did you go to elementary school in Chapel Hill?

Old 05-31-2007, 06:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Dallas Historic and Conservation Districts:

Landmark Districts

Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas -Development Services

Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 24,747 times
Default texas towns

My favorites...Granbury, Fredricksburg, Marble Falls, Georgetown

Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,865 times
Default Palestine area

My husband is from Palestine and loves it very much. They have what they call "old town" and "new town".
Old town is the historic area with all of the gingerbread houses and such. There are nice schools and parks. Also downtown would be the nice consignment shops, coffeshops, delis, mom & pops and the sort.
New town is around the Loop (Loop 635) and has all of the bigger department stores and such that makes it feel like a bigger city with a town atmosphere. The University of Texas at Tyler has a Satalite campus in Palestine. The nearest "big city" would be Tyler and that's where the main campus of UTT is

Another idea would be Waxahachie. The description would be exactly the same as Palestine. Both of these towns love their historic houses. I am from Waxahachie and love it alot. Some upsides of Waxahachie is that it has both annex of Navarro College (the central campus located in Corsicana) and SouthWestern Universities of God University. The hospital in Waxahachie is part of the Baylor University Medical Center family of hospitals. Waxahachie is also only about 45 minutes from the Dallas Fort Worth area.

As far as crime goes in either of these towns... in the areas you would be in in a historic home... the crime would not be bad. They are really good neighborhoods. Pretty much these to towns are alot alike and either one would be very nice to live in. We are trying to make the same decision ourselves which town we would like to live in. I'm going to college to be a nurse (in Corsicana) and I think Waxahachie will be our final choice... but there's my input

Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 10,795 times
Wink Living

Quote:
greetings!
we're considering relocating to texas to be closer to our families in nm. and co.
we are looking for:
-good schools
-lots of green and trees
-historic homes 1930s or before
-friendly folks
-a nice park
-low crime
-and how would i word this... we're not looking for a town of phd holders. however, we want an area where h.s. is not necessarilly the end of the education road. we're currently living in a small town where kids, as a general population, don't have plans to go to college.

do you know where in texas would be great for us?

thanks!!
amy
hi

league city and dickinson are nice. also, seabrook

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,571 times
Quote:
greetings!
we're considering relocating to texas to be closer to our families in nm. and co.
we are looking for:
-good schools
-lots of green and trees
-historic homes 1930s or before
-friendly folks
-a nice park
-low crime
-and how would i word this... we're not looking for a town of phd holders. however, we want an area where h.s. is not necessarilly the end of the education road. we're currently living in a small town where kids, as a general population, don't have plans to go to college.

do you know where in texas would be great for us?

thanks!!
amy
Amy, my husband and I live in Mineola Texas and we really love it here! Population is 5500. We are 80 miles east of Dallas. We purchased our 1931 home in 1998 and completely rennovated it and the charming guest house. However, our family has purchased land 10 miles from here and we have decided to build with them.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-08-2007 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM

49 posts, read 138,729 times
I would say Fredericksburg, TX - and bring a fat checkbook. Its lovely, though.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
This thread is a year old--why start it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas