Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

This is not to bash Dallas people and this is my personal opinion, but whenever I'm in Dallas, I feel it is much less urban than Houston. Even with it's downtown area and everything being more built up around it. I just still feel Houston is more urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,160 times
Houston may be more urban, but IMHO, Dallas is more urbane.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Houston may be more urban, but IMHO, Dallas is more urbane.
Wow I just laughed so hard I spit out my coffee! Thanks for keeping me entertained at work!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
If urban = dilapidated ghetto/barrio, then perhaps Houston wins.

Otherwise, uptown Dallas and midtown Houston feel about the same to me. The rest surrounding those areas are more similar than different IMO.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
There's nothing about Dallas and Houston that can be compared. They could be on different planets. Their reasons for being have absolutely nothing to do with one another. You could be comparing NYC and LA.... no comparison.

The Houston metro has developed with its population in place, its expansion taking place by virtue of necessity, constantly pushing its borders outward. To live in the Houston metro is to live in Houston. Spring/Houston. Pasadena/Houston. Sugarland/Houston. Addicks/Houston. Metro/Houston.

The Dallas metro has developed as an escape from Dallas, and just kept going. To live in the Dallas metro is to live in whatever burg you have selected as your home. Richardson, Arlington, Plano, Grapevine... most wherever is not Dallas.

This being compounded by Houston having no zoning ordinance where Dallas and the surrounding cities are zoning oriented.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
That's because you equate urban to highrises, instead of well planned walkable communities connected to light rail.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
The Houston metro has developed with its population in place, its expansion taking place by virtue of necessity, constantly pushing its borders outward. To live in the Houston metro is to live in Houston. Spring/Houston. Pasadena/Houston. Sugarland/Houston. Addicks/Houston. Metro/Houston.
Maybe i'm missing the point you're trying to relay but Sugarland, Pasadena, Katy, Spring, The Woodlands are their own boundaries. They are not even Houston. They are Houston metro. However Irving, Plano, Richardson, Carrolton are not Dallas either, they're Dallas Metro, but when you start going further west like in Arlington and DFW airport, then its DFW comblined metro.

Houston feels more urban to me because in Houston, you get the best of both worlds. It has the ethnic diverse population, 2 stadiums downtown, Relaint Park, Uptown, Medical Center, Greenway Plaza all inside the loop, and Uptown right at the edge. I'm going to repeat what i said in the other thread. You see just as many urban clusters inside of loop 610 as you see in the entire DFW metroplex. Everything is connected to Houston as one network instead of everything being spread out further between two major cities, thus serving as two networks. (I'm guessing that's what WillysB was trying to say).

Also downtown Houston is more urban than downtown Dallas. Houston has its own little version of the nightlife that Dallas's Greenville Ave has INSIDE downtown on Main Street. It also has its version of Victory Park INSIDE downtown on the development happening on the eastside of downtown Houston. It also has midtown which is equivalent to Dallas's uptown (although Dallas's uptown is slightly ahead).

One thing that Dallas has up on Houston is its mass transit system. As of right now (2009), Dallas's murders Houston's. But withnin the next 5 years, we'll start to see Houston's catch up to Dallas's.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
The reason is NO ZONING I love that Houston is divided into districts Medical Center, Uptown, Downtown, Westchase, Greenspoint, Dallas does have a better transit system but Houston has a better overall feel to it.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,679 times
Umm....because it is.....hello!! Welcome to Texas my friend!!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Houston is at the very center of its metro region giving it an advantage making everything around it feel more "integrated" IMO. People of different races, creeds, & gender seem to get along much better in Houston which can be attributed to its lack of zoning that in turn lets everyone have an equal opportunity at helping to build the city.

Dallas is located on the far eastern end of a two part metro region giving it less of an influence on the over all area. Fort Worth & everything Tarrant County might as well be its separate area as it has its own distinct cultural differences, identity, & suburbs. There seems to be a lot of political mess back & forth between those two cities & their suburbs as to who gets what & where making it feel more segregated especially North Dallas-South Dallas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-21-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas