Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be neat to start a thread with some interesting, unique, unusual, off the beaten path places-sites or lodging or restaurants etc.

I will start it with some links:

The Food Shack in Marfa:
FOOD SHARK : marfa TX

Blue Javelina in Marfa:
http://www.bluejavelina.com/index.html

Medicine Mound Store in Quanah:
Downtown Medicine Mound Preservation Group - Home Page

Ten Bits Ranch in Terlingua:
BIG*BEND*LODGING

Topsey Exotic Ranch and Drive Thru Safari: (one of my local faves)
Topsey Exotic Ranch & Drive Thru Safari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Is the Catfish Barge on Inks Lake still around???

Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 AM

i dont know, since i am still semi-new to the area. but i sure loved my catfish barge/catfish hole up at Lake Graham in Graham (Young County)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Is the Catfish Barge on Inks Lake still around???

Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
i dont know, since i am still semi-new to the area. but i sure loved my catfish barge/catfish hole up at Lake Graham in Graham (Young County)..
I didn't know you had a place on Lake Graham, NOTAM. Wherebouts? Each year me and some of my SCV buddies get together for a weekend marathon of dove-hunting, poker and "adult beverages" at a cabin (actually more a lodge) on Lake Graham.

As to your interesting thread topic idea, the first thing that comes to mind for me is the T.C. Lindsay and Co. General Store in Jonesville, Texas. It is the oldest general store extant in the state (in continuous operation since 1848) and is a place we make a point to visit each time we go to Caddo Lake. I will see if I can find a site for it.

Added edit: http://www.traveltex.com/pg/Activity...7-86ce58bd4198

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-25-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Lowake, 'nuff said

Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
We came across this place on 281 just north of Hamilton, nice place to stop:

>>"The Dutchman's Hidden Valley Country Store north of Hamilton on US281 is a self-contained shopping mall with 10 rooms and 14,000 square feet of merchandise ranging from peanut brittle to antiques. "We're diversified," says store owner Ronny Wenzel with considerable understatement. The store is a throwback to the days when locally owned roadside shops selling homemade cider, perserves, produce, and arts and crafts used to dot the nation's highways, providing motorists a place to use the restrooms, stretch their legs, and lighten their wallets.

Dutchman's Hidden Valley >>

Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,732 times
NOTAM....thanks so much for the link to Medicine Mound.....what a nice surprise! My husband grew up there, and his first paying job was working at the grain elevator there. I grew up 15 miles west of there but I could stand in my back door and see the Mounds (it's wide-open plains)....after we met, I would stand on the back porch and gaze toward the Mounds every evening.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 AM

Ah thank! How could I have forgotten-something that's right here locally for me, and one of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
We came across this place on 281 just north of Hamilton, nice place to stop:

>>"The Dutchman's Hidden Valley Country Store north of Hamilton on US281 is a self-contained shopping mall with 10 rooms and 14,000 square feet of merchandise ranging from peanut brittle to antiques. "We're diversified," says store owner Ronny Wenzel with considerable understatement. The store is a throwback to the days when locally owned roadside shops selling homemade cider, perserves, produce, and arts and crafts used to dot the nation's highways, providing motorists a place to use the restrooms, stretch their legs, and lighten their wallets.

Dutchman's Hidden Valley >>

Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 AM

how cool! make sure yall go to the Texas Country Reporter site than and see if you can order the episode about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
NOTAM....thanks so much for the link to Medicine Mound.....what a nice surprise! My husband grew up there, and his first paying job was working at the grain elevator there. I grew up 15 miles west of there but I could stand in my back door and see the Mounds (it's wide-open plains)....after we met, I would stand on the back porch and gaze toward the Mounds every evening.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 AM

TexasReb, no it wasn't owned by me, but it surely seemed like it because I practically never had to share it. it's the public/local catfish barge out there.
and i used to go dove hunt in Throckmorton!!
my deer lease was in Jack County-near Senate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I didn't know you had a place on Lake Graham, NOTAM. Wherebouts? Each year me and some of my SCV buddies get together for a weekend marathon of dove-hunting, poker and "adult beverages" at a cabin (actually more a lodge) on Lake Graham.

As to your interesting thread topic idea, the first thing that comes to mind for me is the T.C. Lindsay and Co. General Store in Jonesville, Texas. It is the oldest general store extant in the state (in continuous operation since 1848) and is a place we make a point to visit each time we go to Caddo Lake. I will see if I can find a site for it.

Added edit: T. C. Lindsey & Co. - Texas Travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas