Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,055,648 times

Advertisements

This thread is sort of just for fun, as I'm in grad school right now and I'm not going anywhere for a couple of years. I've been somewhat intrigued by the football-loving culture and better economic opportunities than most places recently that Texas seems to offer. The only place that I've been to in the state, however, is El Paso, which I'm not sure is the most representative location. So - is it mostly just normal like everywhere else, or would there be some adjustments in getting used to it? I'm a late 20s guy who's originally from MI and currently living in PA, both places that I like, but I might be interested in trying something new in a few years. I know it's warmer - anything else I'd need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,333,896 times
folks are friendlier. no state income tax. stable economy. low cost of living. wide open spaces. great bbq and mexican food and country music. and of course, TEXAS FOOTBALL!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,055,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
folks are friendlier. no state income tax. stable economy. low cost of living. wide open spaces. great bbq and mexican food and country music. and of course, TEXAS FOOTBALL!!!
So is this Longhorns football, or football in general? Because I already have some preformed allegiances here.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,333,896 times
oh football in general-high school, college, pro! we love it all!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
So is this Longhorns football, or football in general? Because I already have some preformed allegiances here.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,203,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
It's 'Friday nite lites' football, it's college football, it's my quarterback makes more than your q'back... well, 'nuff about them.

If you can say things like DFence and Score, you'll do okay. There's fans from all over the country. I've always been a Green Bay fan and while living in Dallas just kinda didn't push that off on anyone.

As far as being from Michigan; during the great migration of the 70's/80's there were lots of transplants, including from Michigan. Living in Houston and working contract at different locations, I met many of them. Always seemed to me that Michiganders were more pro-active about liking Texas and fit in better than those from other regions.

We'll keep a light on for ya.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:00 PM

16 posts, read 74,831 times
I think we need to turn off the lights & lock the doors...Texas seems to be filling up quick. What are those other states gonna do after all their tax payers flee? What are Texans going to do when all the yankee transplants come & suck up all the jobs? I also don't care for the changing political demographics either. Red is my favorite color & Texas needs to stay red.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,603,526 times
I sort of agree. It's relatively stable compared to other places because of it's red tendencies. But I also think that most Michiganers do blend in well here compared to other places. My next door neighbor is from Michigan. One of the best neighbors we've had. He almost sounds like a Texan as far as his accent, he drinks beer with all the neighbors in the driveway, he's not pc about anything, does his own yardwork and home improvements, is involved in community affairs, etc...But, he does vote blue, which again, I'll defer to the previous poster

Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 74,831 times
Love Roses, I am new to this site & have been reading posts that catch my eye & I always enjoy & agree with your posts.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,388,219 times
El Paso is not particularly representative of the rest of the state of Texas.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,401,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
El Paso is not particularly representative of the rest of the state of Texas.
Yes. I agree.

However, OP, I think most people like Texas and I think you'd like it based on what you're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: