Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 AM

382 posts, read 1,665,989 times

Advertisements

I had never heard this term before but we have it here this morning! Not enough to delay or cancel Midland schools though. The roads looked wet and icy but really weren't. Interesting weather phenomenon I guess! Drive safe though if headed out of town!
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,980,678 times
Yeah, we had that weird fog here in Abilene yesterday afternoon before it changed to light freezing rain. It's pretty icy here. Schools and everything are closed and more freezing rain/sleet is supposed to come tonight. Here it is, 4:30 p.m., and it's still only 21 degrees outside! We're supposed to be back to 50 degrees by tomorrow afternoon. I'm finding that hard to believe, LOL.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM

17 posts, read 50,830 times
My husband said that he had to stop several times on his way from Midland to Lubbock last night because the windshield of the car was icy and the streets were nasty! Hope he can stay in Midland overnight today and doesn't have to drive back to Lubbock!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM

52,622 posts, read 47,825,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yeah, we had that weird fog here in Abilene yesterday afternoon before it changed to light freezing rain. It's pretty icy here. Schools and everything are closed and more freezing rain/sleet is supposed to come tonight. Here it is, 4:30 p.m., and it's still only 21 degrees outside! We're supposed to be back to 50 degrees by tomorrow afternoon. I'm finding that hard to believe, LOL.
Only in Texas.

It's clearing up here in Dallas, and most of the ice has thawed out. We should be seeing 60 by Saturday.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,552,807 times
Lubbock had the freezing fog also. Yesterday, Lubbock also got a 1/2 inch of frozen precipitation. I don't know what it is called, but it was this strange combination of sleet and snow. I guess you could call them something like "snow pellets". The roads were very slick and school had to be delayed. This morning, the temperature dropped to 9 degrees and reached almost 60 degrees this afternoon. Crazy weather.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:00 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,062,886 times
Fox 4 in Dallas just said ,on the 9:45 weather, to expect "freezing fog" in North East Texas. Could be enough to hinder traffic. Plenty cold enough 29 now in Tyler, just warmed up with a little cloud cover moving in now.. We'll see. Just missed the ice last nite, got 26 just after the rain. Lucked out.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,962,256 times
For some reason I like winters in Northeast Texas...I like how everyone over reacts to the cold and ice, and schools and businesses shut down...I actually like that....And I like how it gets just cold enough for people to bundle up, stay inside, and take precautions for ice on roads, but it doesnt get so cold that we have to tunnel out from under 30 inches of snow..

Old 01-29-2009, 04:15 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,003,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
For some reason I like winters in Northeast Texas...I like how everyone over reacts to the cold and ice, and schools and businesses shut down...I actually like that....And I like how it gets just cold enough for people to bundle up, stay inside, and take precautions for ice on roads, but it doesnt get so cold that we have to tunnel out from under 30 inches of snow..
Here in Wichita Falls, we had a little under 1/4" of ice fall. It was enough to close down most schools around the area for 2 days, and it ended up causing about 60 accidents. Fortunately, the TXDot crew worked hard on getting the roads sanded in advance of the storm, and it really minimized what could have been a major ordeal. Just last year, in Feb. 2008, we had one freezing rain incident that lasted for about an hour one morning, caught everyone by surprise, and we ended up with over 100 wrecks that morning!

Ian

Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,354,550 times
Here in Ft Hood area we had some ice-my front porch was one sheet of ice, as was my truck. It was reminiscent of the big ice storm I experienced when I lived for many years in Ft Worth/Wichita Falls area.
I was working in Ft Worth/downtown and lived 45 minutes northwest out in the country. Never made it home. Had to get a room at the BOQ (Bachelor's Officer's Quarters) at NASJRB Carswell Field...and it took me about 1.5 hours to get there from downtown Ft Worth! And I was starving and everything was closed and of course no pizza delivery. I remember drinking all the beers out of the stocked mini bar in my room and then heading back home the next day.
I don't miss the severity of the ice storms and some of the snow storms in North Texas, but I would still live there again because I love the area, if I could move my job there!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,062,886 times
Yep, we had freezing fog in Tyler overnite. But little on the bridges, however in Tyler itself it looked like a very light snow. Cars, all the trees, even limbs, grass, roof tops "whiteness" about them that, for more than a heavy frost. I don't recall seeing this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas