Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:20 AM

363 posts, read 2,020,129 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping that you wise Texans, particularly those of you living in the wonderful country, could tell me more about what rattlesnakes do... We have killed THREE on the front porch. I already know all the things to do... you all and other sources have guided us well...

My question is: (Please no laughing) Do they like the rain? It was raining all night and this A.M., my husband left for work in the early morning (while it was still dark). He took a long stick and a flashlight with him because he has to walk about 20 ft. - through (mowed) grass- to get to the car. I was hoping that they hated rain and we could actually enjoy sitting on our porch today. Our wrap around porch is solid concrete- probably about 12 to 18 inches thick... Most of it is off the ground, but since our property is on a hill, a portion of it is (unfortunately) level with the yard. I think that is how they get onto it. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate these things- I just do not want them around. Please tell me there are NO exceptions and that they will not EVER be out in the winter. I REALLY need some down time!

Anyway, Yes, we are purchasing a gun... Yes, we are getting cats.... Yes, we are clearing away rocks... Yes, we have no clutter around... Slowly but surely (and as money, health, and time allow) we are dutifully trying to make our place unattractive to them. Any answers for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 06:50 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Snake-proofing Home and Yard
The most effective way is to construct a fence which extends several feet below ground (to prevent mammals from burrowing through, which would give snakes access) and above ground. The fence must remain stark, as any decorative bushes or trees would give access to the snakes. And at best, these fences are not perfect excluders.

Since the main thing snakes are after is food, a hiding place and a basking place, the best things to do are to get rid of potential food and shelter. Keep grounds and trash areas clean and free of cover to dissuade the populations of mice, rats, ground squirrels, voles, and other rodents which are attractive to snakes. Plug up any holes you find in the ground; they may be burrows which can be used by snakes in the pursuit of prey and for sleeping. Keep brush, rocks, old boards and trash at a minimum, especially around the house. Make sure all access to the house is blocked up: vents covered by small mesh, and the foundation kept crack-free.

Now that you have eradicated, or almost eradicated, snakes from your property, do be prepared for an increase in rodents and, depending on the microhabitats in your yard, amphibians. Remove a natural predator, and you encourage an increase in the population of the prey animals on which they feed. As villages and towns (even Orange County, California, formerly a major agricultural center rapidly converted to a major metropolitan area south of Los Angeles) all over the world have found to their dismay, wiping out the snakes results in a population explosion of rodents....not to speak of sleepless spring and summer nights spent listening to all of the frogs calling all night long, safe from being snatched by a hungry snake!

Got this off a rattler web site. Hope this helps. We have them all the time in the hill country

Old 09-04-2006, 07:21 AM

Thank you. I really appreciate that... I do... It's just I have totally seached the computer and found all that a well. What I couldn't find were off beat answers like my rain inquiry. - I do not want mice etc... but the mice won't kill my kids, ya know? I don't want to kill every snake in the world, just the extremely deadly ones on my porch. (smile) Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:08 AM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
I don't know about your winters there but our winters here in the desert of Calf are cold and we do not get snakes. So I would find out how cold it is going to be there and that should give you some idea if you will get them in the winter. We get around 39 degrees and snow.

Gee, maybe we should go to somewhere that is cold all the time. hehe

I forgot to ask you where you live?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Pioneer......mice are notorious carriers of disease (ie: hanta virus) which can kill. I too wouldn't want rattlers around my house and would kill any within a couple hundred yards of the house (I do). The cats should help control the above ground rodents and non-poisonous snakes should be encouraged. Also active trapping of rodents should have a positive effect.

Have you looked into snake proof netting?

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default Snakes and Mice

The cats are good for the rodent problem, but traps (either the snap type or the sticky type) are better. One of our previous cats killed a large rat and then got very sick and almost died, so traps are better. Cats stay away from snakes and will not warn you about them...dogs will bark.

Most snakes get the water they need from the prey they eat. They are more likely to come on your porch to get out of the rain and to seek warmth given off by the house and porch.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Hi BobTex. This is funny... well not really... but I swear to you, this A.M. I told myself, "Pioneer8, you cannot stop enjoying your beautiful piece of land just cuz of a few snakes..." The train was across the highway, coming around the "mountain" in the fog--- it was a beautiful morning... so I mustered up the courage to go sit on my back porch... ahhh... Only, as my eyes scoped the scenery, I looked down into the pool.. and sure enough... there was a baby rattler... swimming and basking in the glory... Luckily, the pool is down the hill from the house, so no danger to me. My pool is inground, but about 12 inches off the ground. Since we had so many problems with our mower this summer... there is some overgrowth that would provide easy access to the snake. I don't think he is going to be able to get out as the water level is low... unless it keeps raining!
My kids are using the telescope and binoculars to look at it. It's fun for them... for me? Well, I have a icky feeling in the pit of my stomach. No, we haven't looked into the fencing for the porch area.. we may. Fortunately this is a newer brick home. It seems to be well built. Gosh, I hope they don't get in! I must say, after four snake sightings in one month, I feel scared and a bit angry at the people who sold us this home without telling us the downside... On the other hand, if they had, I would have never had this beautiful year here in the Texas country...
I'm 20 mins east of Abilene. I love it... 'cept for this. This winter, we hope to really go nuts getting the land more cleared. Right now, it's just so dangerous. I have really had a crash course on RATTLERS. And yes, I am aware that mice and rats carry bad stuff... but the snakes are very in my face right now...know what I mean. I'm looking for cats TODAY. I really appreciate your help on this. As usual. Just talking about it kinda relieves some of the pressure. It got down in the 20's last winter and snowed gently 2 times. Today it is sprinkling and in the 60's/70's. Have you ever been so overwhelmed with snakes? Isn't this odd? Thank You kindly, Sir.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 AM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
Have you ever been so owverwhelmed with snakes.

Not rattlers. Gopher snakes every spring but not rattlers. That is scary. Must be something you could do. I think they climb everything don't they?

I bet your brick house is just beautiful. That is what I was hoping for. Wish me luck there.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:46 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
I'm, like Bound.....no problem with rattlers. I see them but only maybe 3-4 a year. I have had a problem with copperheads, which are much more numerous here, in the past, but it was temporary. I do have an infestation of Texas rat snakes from time to time that like to munch on my chicken aggs!

Like Steelman said we always had dogs that would alert us in the past to the presence of a snake. In the previous "rattler" thread I told how our dogs got bit frequently but never had one die.....swell up, get sick, and lay around a few days but never die! We wouldn't take them to a vet either.......kind of a "sink or swim" theory. I have had a couple of dogs get a pretty good venom load before and still live......and these were only 25-30lb dogs. But it is possible to train your dogs to keep their distance and still alert.

I'm glad you love it where you are. There is the possibility that "your" snakes are being displaced by some digging or construction activity and thus this may be just a temporary phenomena. If not maybe in the spring with some scouting you might find the home den, run the snakes out(with gasoline), and then cover it with dirt......just a thought. Meantime, your kids and DH seem well educated to the problem so y'all should be OK.....just don't let your guard down. Gotta be proactive!

Old 09-04-2006, 12:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default Snake Repellents

Here is a good web site that talks about snake repellent. Who knows, might be worth a try?

http://www.e-bug.net/pests/snake_control.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas