Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Sport best represents Texas"
Football 33 80.49%
Rodeo 2 4.88%
Both Football and Rodeo equally 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,792,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Most of these things (save the "theft") also took place during the "glory days" of the Cowboys. Thing was, that, just as JFK's sexual activities were "covered up" back in the day, so were many off-field antics of some of the more famous Cowboys. By both team management and the press. It was a day and age when everyone knew what went on...but it wasn't "celebrated" as being anything to be proud of or announce.

Today, there is such a mindless, cheap, "celebrity worship" in America, that all too many professional athletes (just as with Hollywood actors and actresses) start to believe they are truly "it" And who can blame them given the said national mindset...?

Don't forget Bob Lilly, Jethro Pugh, Ralph Neely, Lee Roy Jordan, Pete Gent...and of course, Lance Renztel *grins*

Never like high school or college, I don't think. The Cowboys were something Texans were proud of, of course. But nothing like the absolute devotion and emotion that went/goes into high school and college.

On a more personal level, I want the Cowboys to win. The Ice-Bowl I remember....

But it is nothing at all like the pure chill bumps I get when I hear the "Eyes of Texas" or Texas Fight"... or my old high school alma-mater and fight song back when I was young and good looking and a powerhouse on the old gridiron!

*AHEM* Ok, Cathy. I got carried away. Actually, my football career ended in Jr. High School when I was a third string halfback. But see what Texas football does to one's memories?
LOL! Good post, TR....and good points!

As for high school football, I got deathly, deathly sick of that when I had to sponsor the pep squad one year. There is more truth to Friday Night Lights than people realize, even though it was embellished somewhat to make a good story. You already know that nothing else matters much other than football and sports...to hell with academics and other irrelevant stuff, LOL!! I know you get that one for sure.

I refused to sponsor the pep squad the last year, because I told them if they didn't shape up and behave themselves, this was it. All they wanted was a free ride on the bus to the games, and refused to practice, do routines and such. They came to me and begged, but I said, "No way in heck." I also quit going to all of the games and just generally escaped town every weekend during football season home games.

I have never been to another high school football game since that time (late 1970s) with one exception. SO wanted to see my old alma mater in the district playoffs in Midland at the new stadium, so we went. They lost. But I thought it was weird that he even wanted to go to the game to begin with, since he isn't even from Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:22 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,343,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The hell with the Cowboys.
No matter how bad they are or become, they still own this state and it won't be until you're in your 70s until that changes.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,878,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No matter how bad they are or become, they still own this state and it won't be until you're in your 70s until that changes.
I could care less if they "own" the state. The hell with the Cowboys.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:15 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,091,204 times
I agree that Tom Landry was treated very shabbily. I did really like Jimmy Johnson, though. He stood up to Jerry Jones and it worked out very well. But I prefer college football anyway. It's more exciting, and there's more of that rah-rah stuff. Not to mention the halftime shows with great bands! I wish the TV networks would show them, rather than advertisements and talking heads telling us what we just saw (duh!).

I like rodeos, too. Just not as much as football. Those bull riders must have a death wish! At least some of them wear helmets now. I wouldn't want an animal weighing a ton to step on me!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:44 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,521,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I agree that Tom Landry was treated very shabbily.
On a related tangent, does anyone remember that single frame "tribute" to Tom Landry and Charles Schultz (creator of "Peanuts) -- who both passed away on or near the same day -- which depicted the coach and Charlie Brown "in Heaven"? Landry was holding a football, and Charlie Brown finally getting to actually kick it after all those years of having it yanked away by Lucy in the cortoon stips?

I always thought that was a very good -- and touching -- tribute to both men.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,333,194 times
Quote:
On a related tangent, does anyone remember that single frame "tribute" to Tom Landry and Charles Schultz (creator of "Peanuts) -- who both passed away on or near the same day -- which depicted the coach and Charlie Brown "in Heaven"? Landry was holding a football, and Charlie Brown finally getting to actually kick it after all those years of having it yanked away by Lucy in the cortoon stips?

I always thought that was a very good -- and touching -- tribute to both men.
That is indeed a very touching tribute to both men! (on a side note re: football... My Steelers are about to embark on a journey today to be the first team to win 6 Super Bowl titles! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself!) Now don't beat me up, Texans!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,521,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
That is indeed a very touching tribute to both men! (on a side note re: football... My Steelers are about to embark on a journey today to be the first team to win 6 Super Bowl titles! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself!) Now don't beat me up, Texans!

BTW -- cortoon stips = cartoon strips! LOL

Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,333,194 times
Quote:
BTW -- cortoon stips = cartoon strips! LOL
I knew what you meant!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 AM

550 posts, read 1,545,846 times
This one is tough!!! From a boy born in Pecos, TX Home of the worlds first rodeo and raised in Odessa the biggest football town in TX at the time!
Dad used to take me out of school early so we could go watch slack during The Sandhills Rodeo in Odessa. But we always watch our beloved Cowboys every game!!! May not like the owner or coach,
But will always bleed SILVER AND BLUE!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 PM

84 posts, read 281,946 times
Default Football By Far

I just have to say that I think football draws more of the TX crowd by far. One of the previous posts mentioned Friday Night Lights, and Odessa's obsession with high school football during the oil bust of the 80's (they had nothing better to focus on!). Many, many small towns are still like this with their high school football.

I know a lot of posts are focusing on NFL, but does the NFL garner as much emotions as college football? I went to OU and graduated in 1999. I learned that it is a tradition for Sooners and Longhorns alike to develop a ravenous hate for each other. When I see burn orange anywhere, I instantly feel great contempt for them, and I'm sure they feel the same way if I am wearing my crimson and cream. I actually fear for my safety if I am wearing OU gear the closer I am to Austin! No joke! People live and die being Longhorns, and the same can be said for Texas Tech and Texas A&M. Being a Tech football fan in west TX is considered an obligation.

Of course, the Dallas Cowboys have a large following too, and I respect that. The Houston Texans need a lot of prayers! LOL! I grew up there when we had the Oilers, and they weren't that much better.

Rodeo has it's own sub-culture that I think that many people find a hard time getting into if they haven't grown up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas