Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,549 times

Advertisements

Hi Me And My Family Are Moving To Ft Hood In April And We Need To Know About The Post And Housing Is It Better On Post Or Not Is The Housing On Post Good Or Bad? What Is There To Do There? Is There Alot Of Things For My Kids To Do? ( I Have 4)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 03:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
definitely take post housing. i was at ft stewart for the past 3 years and had friends over at ft hood........so i saw pics.....very very nice. plus they have lots of new ones built. off post is hit or miss.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM

63 posts, read 327,059 times
hi there
my sister-in-law just recently moved to ft. hood (january or december?) hse's exceptionally friendly and helpful (and looking to make new friends too! ha ha) i have a call into her to see if it would be okay to pass along her phone number to you and you guys could chat. (i do know that she's found a few things for her 2 boys, ages 2 and 5, to do there). ill keep you posted.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 AM

6 posts, read 29,502 times
check out military.com forum. lots' of ladies from ft. hood on there, under the spouse section, great information and support

Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 19,343 times
Hi. I'm 4wainwrights sister-in-law. We moved into post quarters, and we like it. It's very convenient, esp. if you plan to take advantage of the schools, after-school programs & sports, child care, etc. for the kids, the commissary and Px, and many other amenities. I agree with the earlier post that off-post housing can be a bit of a challenge, esp. if you want to live near Ft. Hood--most people who live off post go west to Copperas Cove or east to Harker Heights.

Good luck w/ your move. Please don't hesitate to holler with any other questions. I'm going to visit the military.com forum, too. I didn't know about that.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 AM

dont forget armywives forum too...that was INVALUABLE for me when i was an army wife!!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
my sister lived in Copperas Cove and it's a nice communbity. Harker Heights is a little bit more pricey. Those are two places I would recommend if you want to live off post.

In the Army they are two types of families... those who always want to live on post and those who perfer off. I always prefered off post, but I like my privacy and not having eveyone who works with my husband knowing all htat goes on in my house. We even lived off post in Germany one of the best expirences ever.

As usual on any facility you are going to have better housing units and some that aren't so good...older not renovated etc... if living on post ask as many questions of those who are there and find out what blgds are better for you. And see if you can request a certin bldg. (all that does depend on rank etc...)

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 32,670 times
I will be moving to Fort Hood in June of '08. My husband is Army. I was wondering where I should begin to look for a place for our two horses? Any ideas? We are on the waiting list for Fort Hood Stables... but we are number 35. Anyone ever have horses on base? Meanwhile, we are looking for either a place to rent close to Fort hood with available space for horses. Or a reasonable pasture or something.

Also, I am coming from a small town in Kansas. Little to no crime. Okay well there was a bike stolen last year. LOL. Lived in Omaha, Nebraska for years and as long as you avoid North O at dark, you were fine. As far as Killeen and some of the close communities you guys have scared me with talk of crime, gangs and not wanting to live close to base.. We have a few months before we move so it's hard to get our ducks in a row for where to live and then the horses to secure.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM

well if you dont like crime and are into the country lifestyle, which you obviously are, having horses, why not move to Gatesville or Lampasas? very country, lots of ranching, 4H, FFA, livestock shows, sale barns....Gatesville even has a great cowboy church that i go to, and they have their own roping pen!
i live in Cove right now-which is a compromise-i live way out Cove, so i have lots of open land behind me, with deer feeder, lots of deer, no back neighbors, but close to post for me to drive. but WILL be buying a house in Gatesville when my lease is up in the fall.
my girlfriend boards her horses somewhere in Killeen cuz she said the boarding was double or triple in Lampasas
County....
p.s. if you live in Gatesville, you will have NO traffic onto post-since you come in thru the back (north) gate, the drive is all ON POST, thru cattle guards, several creeks, open range, tank trail roads. only traffic would be occasional convoy
during FTX's or something. yall need to seriously look at Gatesville.
Lampasas is nice but kinda of a drive. also Lampasas is a bit more "snobby" than good ole working class Gatesville, home to 5 prisons, so lots of correctional officers there-very working class but COUNTRY. great western store there, AND A TSC (TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY), which is a big plus for me-i have to live in a town with a TSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRain3 View Post
I will be moving to Fort Hood in June of '08. My husband is Army. I was wondering where I should begin to look for a place for our two horses? Any ideas? We are on the waiting list for Fort Hood Stables... but we are number 35. Anyone ever have horses on base? Meanwhile, we are looking for either a place to rent close to Fort hood with available space for horses. Or a reasonable pasture or something.

Also, I am coming from a small town in Kansas. Little to no crime. Okay well there was a bike stolen last year. LOL. Lived in Omaha, Nebraska for years and as long as you avoid North O at dark, you were fine. As far as Killeen and some of the close communities you guys have scared me with talk of crime, gangs and not wanting to live close to base.. We have a few months before we move so it's hard to get our ducks in a row for where to live and then the horses to secure.

Last edited by NOTAM; 02-18-2008 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,679 times
Ok I lived in Killeen for several years and Have several horses. I have a friend that has a boarding facility there. I will get an address and a number for you to contact her. My X husband should be leaving there about the time that you get there so there will be open stalls. Stay away from the stables on FT Hood they suck. On top of it all i don't think that they are safe.. by all means go out and look at facilities BEFORE you commit to boarding there. There are 3 boarding facilities within 10 Min of the front gate and yes you will need to go out a ways to get into the country but i lived off of 195 and the barn was 3 min (walking)away so i guess i lucked out. Also if you have dogs you will need to check the GMH list to see if you want to be on post or off post. Just like Ft Stewart there are alot of breeds that you can't have.

Last edited by Ladybrlracer; 03-08-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: left out word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas