Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 AM

109 posts, read 410,120 times

Advertisements

Homeowner's association fees - what are the rates in your area? We are moving to the Waco area and looking at houses. I would like to see how much house we can afford in Waco. I've got a little handle on the property taxes but would like to know about subdivision fees in several areas and cities....Woodway, McGregor, Hewitt.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I'm not from Waco, but I know a bit about HOA fees in Texas. They are based on on the common (HOA-owned) resources that the HOA must maintain for the neighborhood, divided among the number of homes in the area. and will vary greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood.

If a neighborhood is gated, the streets will be owned by the HOA and the fees cover maintenance on the streets. The fees in a gated neighborhood will also cover maintenance of the gates and either the wages of the guards or the maintenance of the controller that opens the gates.

If a neighborhood has common areas that are greenspace, the HOA must pay for mowing and maintenance of the flower beds/fountains/etc. If a neighborhood has a pool or a playground, the HOA must pay for the expenses related to maintaining those amenities.

All of the above costs are shared by however many homes are in the neighborhood. For example: if there are 500 homes and the neighborhood has $100,000 in annual expenses, the dues will be at least $200.

Hope that helps you understand.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
This is why I dont own a home anymore . We just rent .Period . In most cases it is cheaper than buying in the end.We are from Corpus and with taxes and HOA fees . I could have rented my home for 50 years and come out cheaper than if I bought it. My husband works for L-3 and we have to be here ( Waco) until October and possibly longer . I realize it is not for everyone,, but we have saved money doing this . We can rent way better than we can own , and if we have to leave then we can go .

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
I think the majority of neighborhoods in Woodway and Hewitt don't have HOA fees. The upscale master planned communities like Twin Rivers, Riverside, and Badger Ranch certainly have HOA fees that pay for their community pools, tennis courts, and recreation facilities. But the more ordinary neighborhoods in Woodway and Hewitt are just that, city neighborhoods.

As for fee amounts. My wife and I recently sold a house in a gated HOA neighborhood in China Spring (NW Waco suburb) where the HOA fee was about $475/year and paid for the gate and landscaping but not much else. When we were shopping in Woodway I believe the HOA fees in Twin Rivers and Badger Ranch which have community pools and other amenities were about double that. In the $1000/year range.

We decided to skip the HOA nonsense and buy a house with an existing pool in the Hunter's Run subdivision that has no HOA fees. Don't regret it at all.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 AM

12 posts, read 26,498 times
HOA fee in Badger is 75 a month, includes tennis courts, private lake, community pool with outdoor kitchens plus hiking and jogging trails. Its not for everyone but if you can afford the taxes and mortgage than the HOA fee isnt really a consideration. I did the math and would have spent more money on fuel driving to neighborhoods that were further out plus I cut out over 30 minutes of commuting each day for my family of 3 drivers compared to the home I was looking at in Hidden Valley. That assumption was made that we would go to school or work during the week and didnt take into consideration trips to the grocery store, other activities or any weekend trips. I also liked lorena but my wife didnt like the rural feel. I would give lorena a hard look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: