Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV View Post
Wow, are the taxes cheaper in parts of West Texas because of oil?
They used to be until Robin Hood went into effect. It's been declared unconstitutional, but they haven't worked out anything to replace it. "Wealthy" (read: oil) districts have to send a disproportionate share to the state to be doled out to those who are in so-called property poor districts. My home county where I grew up sent over 10 million in "excess" to the state last year. So, they have to raise taxes in some places to make up the difference.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 11-27-2007 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Dunno, RGV. But one difference is there are very few taxing authorities here -- just the usual city, county, school. Taxpayers in Brownsville have to pay taxes for the city, county and school district, PLUS the port of Brownsville, Texas Southmost College, and South Texas ISD, among others. It all adds up. And the tax rates themselves must be higher in Brownsville for there to be such a huge difference.

Regardless, I'm delighted! The appraisal district here applied my exemptions immediately and adjusted my tax owed; in Cameron County, it took 5 months! I had to pay the full amount and then wait for a refund.

Texassport, three white people and one black person in a crowd of 100 Hispanic people isn't diversity by any stretch of the imagination. And, yes, that was about the makeup of Brownsville which is about 96 percent Hispanic.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
I'm just going to add my two cents here. It depends on your occupation of choice, but I currently live in San Angelo, which is considered West Texas. Our town is about 100,000 people, spread out incredibly. I'm retired Navy (only 43 years old), and from California, but chose San Angelo to end up in. There are many major stores (Super Walmarts, Sams, Lowes, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.). We have a mall with the major supporters (Sears, JC Penney, etc).

There are also chain restaurants out here (Olive Garden, Carino's, etc.). We have a local theater, large movie theater, and an Air Force base for employment as well. We are far enough away from major cities that crime (true crime) doesn't reach us much. There is the occasional murder (normally family-related), and the biggest "gang" activity I've seen is graffitti.

San Angelo mixes medium city amenities with small town charm. It's nice to walk into a store and nod or say "hello" and get a reply instead of a weird look. The major cities are still within a drive (Abilene is 1 1/2 hours, San Antonio is about 3 hours, Midland/Odessa is about 2 1/2 hours and Dallas is 4 hours).

The weather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We don't get a ton of rain or snow. Lots of sunshine and a lake for swimming/water sports. There are campgrounds within and near the city as well.

Not a bad place. After visiting over 20 states (lived in 4), visiting nearly 30 countries (and living in 4), I decided to move here and work. Don't know if I will retire here or not yet, but it's a consideration.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:47 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Rathagos:

Your reasons for moving to San Angelo match my reasons for moving to Abilene. These two west Texas cities are so easy to live in--low cost of living, great housing at low prices, low taxes, very little traffic, enough stores restaurants etc. Salaries are low too, but the cost of living is so reasonable for the advantages of the area that I can't imagine living anywhere else--and I have lived all over the US.

I think that after reading all of the bickering over South Texas, I would decide to definitely move to West Texas. The problems in West Texas are insignificant compared to the problems discussed in South Texas.

By the way, I am a Liberal Democrat, and in many ways do not fit the Abilene/West Texas mode. Yet, people here have been very accepting of me.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:25 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Excellent summary and comparisons, Cupot. Everything you wrote is true.

I'll add that in my experience the property taxes in West Texas are much lower than South Texas. LOL, I got my first property tax bill here last month and, for the first time ever, I had a HUGE grin on my face when I opened it. The tax for the year is $219. My property here is valued at half what my property in Brownsville was and I have the same exemptions on it. So, if all things were equal, my property tax in Brownsville would have been about $440, right? It was actually $1,560! That gives you an idea about how much cheaper the taxes are in West Texas. Moreover, many cities and counties here freeze the tax rate for the elderly and disabled.
WOW!!! That is one low tax rate! Which city are you in over in West Texas?? Myself, I am in Wichita Falls (N. Central Texas), and paid over $2k for my taxes this year! Supposedly, Wichita Falls offers really good real estate prices compared to the rest of the state (my house is valued at $76k).

Anyhow, to answer a few of the OP's questions, I will do my best:

1.) Climate:
West Texas is typically more dry, more sparsely vegetated, and considerably more varied in its climate than most other parts of the state. However, I have noticed being here in Wichita Falls, we have our fair share of seasons as well. Depending on what part of west Texas you are wanting to move into, it can be butt cold in the winter (towards the panhandle), with alot of snow/ice precip, to a more mild southern part (still some "northers" get down that way though). Spring and Fall tend to be very windy, with many dust storms (especially central and southern West Texas). Typically, your last freeze will be from Mid March in the southern parts of West Texas, to mid April in the northern parts. Last Freeze in the fall is from mid to late October in the northern and central parts to early and mid November in the Southern parts. Summers are typically hot, but dry in these areas. The northern part of West Texas will have alot more thunderstorm activity at this time of year. The central and southern parts of this region will be effected somewhat from monsoonal moisture in the latter parts of July-August.

South Texas tends to be considerably more humid, especially towards the coast. Vegetation of much greater density, and with the long growing seasons, you tend to have more of a tropical look to the area. There are seasons in South Texas, but you have to strain to see them actually occuring. Make no bones about it, though, even far south Texas will have an occasional freeze or two, and temps at night will at times dip down into the 30's and low 40's just to remind you that it is actually winter. However, most days tend to rise into the 60's, 70's, and even 80's throughout this season. The west side of the RGV has even seen 90's in January. Freezes, if they do occur, tend to be from late December to late January, and if they do occur, it will be only once or twice. Spring can be a very humid, and oppressive time of year here, as the prevailing winds from the gulf tend to become very strong, due to the pressure gradients further north. This is when you will also have the highest chance of thunderstorm activity (except for hurricane season in the fall). Summers here are hot, especially in the western part of the RGV, and are humid. Winds are southerly, but can be very light unfortunately, due to no weather systems being able to make it down into this area. The only real relief from the heat is from coastal thundershowers that pop up from the heat of the afternoon. The western part of the RGV expeiences some monsoonal moisture in the latter parts of summer. Fall seasons here can be much like summer, except for the ominous presence of tropical threats. The first fronts to make it down to this part of Texas will sometimes hit in late October, but more commonly in November.

Schools:
Just from what I have read on here, it seems alot of people feel that private schools are the way to go in deep south Texas (although I have heard that some of the ISD's in S. Texas are pretty good). With a large Hispanic base in place, being adaptable is a must. West Texas schools from what I understand are good, but are really not a whole lot different than alot of the rest of the state, minus being less crowded possibly.

Crime:
Your best bet is to study the City-data statistics on this. Make some phone calls. Go to the library and do some research. I know there are alot of varying opinions on crime in S. Texas, but one website rated several cities in S. Texas as being among the better cities to live in as far as having less crime is concerned. I know here in Wichita Falls, we were ranked 232nd out of 373 for having the least amount of crime. Here is the link for it: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Quality of Life:
As mentioned before, it all depends on what you are looking for to make a high quality of life. Remember that South Texas is primarily Hispanic. If you are adaptable, like the cultural differences, then this may be for you. If you like a more lightly populated area, wide open spaces, West Texas may be for you. Each area has its many positives and negatives.

Cost of Living:
From what I understand of it, West Texas tends to be less expensive to live in (especially property taxes.. LOL!). If you are wanting to live near the coast, expect to pay a premium in many areas. However, some parts of the Valley are relatively inexpensive to live in (based off of the City Data reports).

Taxes:
See above (again, LOL).

Hopefully, this will help you make an informed decision, but don't just take our word for it. Do the research. Try to figure out what will make you happy (as well as your family) in the long run. Before buying a house anywhere, try renting first so you won't commit yourself to too much if you find you don't like your enviornment.

Ian

Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 AM

925 posts, read 1,226,602 times
First off, I'd venture to bet that every "person" in this thread who is saying there are parts of South Texas that are like Mexico have never even been to Mexico. To translate what they're saying: "There's a lot of brown people there ya'll." Yes, a lot of South Texas (Draw a line from Laredo to Corpus Christi and you have South Texas) has a major influence of Mexican culture but it isn't Mexico 2.0, anyone who says that is basically a borderline line bigot/racist. It'd be just as bad as saying New Orleans is "just like Africa."

In terms of West versus South, it's up to what you like and dislike as both places offer different things and well as the same things. My opinion, just look up a specific area you are considering and look up the crime and school data.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
Do NOT move to South Texas unless you are prepared to, and dont mind being a minority. I am a Texan, and was uprooted to Georgia for 3 years thanks to the Army, and finally got back to Texas and chose South Texas because of a high paying contract...thinking that Texas was Texas. IT AINT.
South Texas is a WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY. You can compare East, North, West-they have the "Texas" feel to them...but South Texas is MEXICO.
I am telling you right now-it is NOT Texas. I am a female blonde blue eyed Anglo and stand out everywhere and am stared at like I am a freak. I have ZERO social life-i am semi attractive (or so they say) and have not even been asked out on a date and i have been here 6 months, and have no real friends. In the workplace, i have "acquaintances" but i have nothing in common with them. oh by the way, they think i TALK FUNNY. they think i have an accent. Ya know why? cuz i guess i have somewhat a Texas drawl or twang...which DOES NOT EXIST HERE! so another reason i dont fit in.
they call every woman here "mami" or "mama" or something like that...its a mexican term of endearment. i cant get used to it. my terms of endearment for my patients are "sweet pea" or "sugarpie" or "honey" or "darlin"...i dont call anyone MOMMY except MY MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!
and they call all males even young ones "pappy"....
it's freakin wierd.
oh and top it all off with wimpy law enforcement. i am used to feeling secure and protected by TOUGH TEXAS LAWMEN...NOT HERE. they are a bunch of wimps and all they do is take part in corruption...those drug runners can just pay them off...you should see the deputy sheriffs who come in with inmates to my hospital-they look like they are not at all self-assured and look about 18 years old! i am tougher than they are!!
it's PATHETIC.
choose WEST TEXAS AT ALL COSTS. i will. i am outta here by Oct when my lease is up

West Texas is dead compared to South Texas with the exception for EL Paso! El Paso is West texas and is smilliar to the Rio Grande Valley as far percentage of hispanic people. Amarillo,Odessa and Lubbock are boring, flat towns so I would never chose West Tx over south Texas. South Texas has San Antonio, South Padre Island,Corpus Christi the Rio Grande Valley. South Texas wins over West Texas hands down. Unless your a hillbillie and want to live in a trailer park and be surrounded by tumbleweed and dust balls!

South Texas is very much Texas and many consider San Antonio the heart and soul of this state. The Spanish are responsible for founding this state! So too say South Texas is not apart of Texas becasue it's percentage of the population is more hispanic is idiotic and downright ingnorant. As far as San Antonio, which is in South texas, is almost 40 percent white, anglos and hispanics seem to live in harmony.

It Seems the issue is yourself, and not where you reside at the moment! Some Food for thought, my family from Monterry and Mexico City, are true blondes with blue eyes!

Sorry West Texans, I really don't think West Texas is just Hilbillies and Trailer Parks, just an example of pure ignorance, given right back to this individual.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
West Texas is dead compared to South Texas with the exception for EL Paso! El Paso is West texas and is smilliar to the Rio Grande Valley as far percentage of hispanic people. Amarillo,Odessa and Lubbock are boring, flat towns so I would never chose West Tx over south Texas. South Texas has San Antonio, South Padre Island,Corpus Christi the Rio Grande Valley. South Texas wins over West Texas hands down. Unless your a hillbillie and want to live in a trailer park and be surrounded by tumbleweed and dust balls!

South Texas is very much Texas and many consider San Antonio the heart and soul of this state. The Spanish are responsible for founding this state! So too say South Texas is not apart of Texas becasue it's percentage of the population is more hispanic is idiotic and downright ingnorant. As far as San Antonio, which is in South texas, is almost 40 percent white, anglos and hispanics seem to live in harmony.

It Seems the issue is yourself, and not where you reside at the moment! Some Food for thought, my family from Monterry and Mexico City, are true blondes with blue eyes!

Sorry West Texans, I really don't think West Texas is just Hilbillies and Trailer Parks, just an example of pure ignorance, given right back to this individual.
Huh.. interesting thoughts, even if rather baseless. Have you even been in West Texas? Any part at all, besides El Paso? Personally, I would not live in West Texas, but its more of a personal preference. There is alot of natural beauty in west Texas, from the caprock to the pretty Pecos country. Lubbock has a major college there. You will find all kinds of neat things in many of the small towns that spot the map throughout this region. For you to compare it to a big ol' trailer park with nothing but tumbleweeds blowing around makes you truly look like the hypocrite, over Belle's statements. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says, but at least she has lived in the southern part of Texas, as well as some of the western parts, and can make a much more accurate observation.

Just a little advice before posting again... at least know what you are talking about before posting, and making yourself look ignorant.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post

You are the one that is the hillbilly, and you write like one, too. Your post is rampant with misspellings, run-on sentences, and NO organization of thought whatsoever. Never mind the punctuation errors on top of that, LOL!!! Your own ignorance is showing so well that I hardly need to point it out, except to you. You can't even spell the name of the city that your family is supposedly from....Monterrey, not Monterry.

Clean up your own act before you start criticizing West Texans. You don't even know the difference between your and you're....since you obviously cannot use either correctly.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:17 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You are the one that is the hillbilly, and you write like one, too. Your post is rampant with misspellings, run-on sentences, and NO organization of thought whatsoever. Never mind the punctuation errors on top of that, LOL!!! Your own ignorance is showing so well that I hardly need to point it out, except to you. You can't even spell the name of the city that your family is supposedly from....Monterrey, not Monterry.

Clean up your own act before you start criticizing West Texans. You don't even know the difference between your and you're....since you obviously cannot use either correctly.

Lol, I'm sure I might have a typo or two, didn't come in here too be graded for my puncuation or spelling of Monterrey, lol. I was merley giving an example of her ignorant discription of South Texas. So I replied with one of West Texas. I think you need to read my comment again!

(Sorry West Texans, I really don't think West Texas is just Hilbillies and Trailer Parks, just an example of pure ignorance, given right back to this individual.)

I find it quite funny how you point out my example preception of West Texas, and not her racist remarks she said about South Texas. Again I don't think of West Texas this way!

I could proofread everyones posts in here and find mistakes, I didn't even look for that. Now that I look a bit, I do see misspellings and grammatical errors. Ignorance is not the correct word choice, if you want to grade me for my errors or typos. Ignorance and stupidty are a correct choice of words for her racist mind-set.

By the way, I'm at work, I have 20 things going on, I pop in and out of here. So I don't always proofread. Remember, this is just a forum, not a spelling Bee, nor am I trying too win the pulitzer prize.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 12-15-2007 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas